“poor disgraceful staff and poor quality tasteless food”
Review of Apple Cart

Apple Cart
Ranked #128 of 457 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is the worst place we have ever been to eat and certainly the worst place for poor customer service from the staff!
I had a prawn cocktail for starter and my girlfriend had breaded mushrooms and I had the steak, chips and onion rings for main while my girlfriend had a chicken tortilla wrap.
First and foremost everyone was having their orders taken from the table after being shown. We was not shown to a table and no one came for a drinks order.
I waited at the bar for a good 15 minutes before I was told to have a seat and someone would come over and stated that I have been waiting to which the reply was "just have a seat and we will be with you shortly".
We waited and eventually a middle aged lady came over took our food orders and made the snide remark of "you must have slipped in quietly". She had to return because she forgot our drink orders.
The food came and it was tasteless. The prawns had a very fishy smell, more than normal while the steak was not cooked how I asked (medium rare) and instead of 6 onion rings as per menu I received 4.
When I challenged the waitress she said "we've run out of onion rings and the chef has been rushed of his feet trying to get everyone's meal ready".
I asked for a discount on the bill because of this and she said no.
We ate and left as quick as we could and again we had no apologies for the wait for ordering, or for the poor quality of food let alone not being cooked according to our liking.
As my girlfriend and I eat the same food everyday, this was the only day we had something different. Consequently 48 hours later I had sickness and diarrhea which was caused by either the fishy prawns or the steak since my girlfriend was fine and this meal was the only meal we ate differently.
I contacted the manager who apologised but when I asked for a refund for the fact I have been ill because of their food, not to mention the poor service and we did not get all the food as per the menu description he still declined to give one.
I would avoid this place completely. The staff do not know what they are doing, they are ignorant and use poor excuses to defend themselves instead of resolving an issue amicably.
I will NEVER go to this restaurant and would advise against anyone going to it as I have already with my friends and family. Perhaps when they see people talking with their feet and wallet by not going there and spending money then they may realise they have to change their poor and disgraceful conduct, attitude and also the food itself.
If I wanted frozen prawns thawed out or frozen chips I would have stayed home to do it - I know I certainly would have made a better job of it!

2  Thank PhasmatosOculus

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Staff friendly, place clean, food usual stuff but just boring. First went when it had just opened and there were more staff than customers but seems to have settled down now

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Expecting a variety of good food on a revised menu since our last visit, we were sadly very.

Not only was the menu a let down but when we ordered our drinks (two shandys) mine arrived flat. Upon ordering our meals of two Sunday roasts we were advised that various items were unavailable - pork, cauliflower cheese. At 2pm we were surprised to hear the items were not available, however we ordered turkey and need roast dinners anyway.

After waiting almost an hour our food arrived with limited food items i.e. one potato, four green beans and barely a tablespoon of peas. The food was also like warm.

Listening to other diners complain about the wait for food and the cold food we ate, paid and left.

Would hope this was a one off, but I don't think so.

1  Thank Kim1807
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We first visited The Apple Cart last summer and soon became regular visitors. It has become one of our favourite places to eat on Sundays and as there is four of us that always go it is really good value with the two for one deal. There is a huge choice on the menu and we have tried several of the dishes and have only been disappointed a couple of times and I think this is purely down to our personal taste and not the quality of the food. A very pleasant atmosphere and really friendly and helpful staff. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went with a downloaded free pint voucher, duly handed it in and when i checked my bill the next day found that i had been charged for it. We went with a party of ten on the Saturday and tried to book, was told peremtorily that "We don't take bookings" so we went with another couple on Valentines night and was asked have you booked, when i told him that as i could not book on the Saturday what made me think that i should book on the Thursday he smugly replied but it's a special occassion i told him that if i had been a mind reader i would have been on the stage. Apart from that we were very satisfied with the food and the service.