“Nice spot to relax and to come back to”

Peterborough Marriott Hotel
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed November 22, 2009

We spent one night here with our teenage son; we used some Marriott points for his room; had a bed and breakfast deal for us.
Reception was good - the young man working there had a red ribbon on, an indiaciton he was new in post and in training he said. His name was Craig Perkins and he handled our check in with aplomb - he was much better than some other hotel reception staff I've met. We were given two adjoining rooms in the quieter part of the hotel as there were 'a couple of parties tonight'; the result was worth the longish walk along the corridors. When had a nice double and our son a twin bed room. Both clean and tidy with the pillow selection, comfy beds and nice bathrooms we like in a Marriott.
There were window seats too - result of being on the first floor (or the 2nd for Amercian friends) a big hit with us.
The leisure centre was ok - the pool not good for lengthy exercise swims - too short for that but it has a large whirlpool, sauna and steam room. Once freshend up from there we went to the bar for a drink and snack before going for our evening out. Good staff member here too - handled rejection of teenagers plea for alcohol very well (he's not old enough and has to stick to soft drinks for now). Snacks were suitably filling then it was tine to get ready and go out. On return we were able to park quite easily, and get up to our rooms. The quiet end lived up to its promise and we were able to sleep in ok. Breakfast was good choice with freshly cooked things done to order such as fried eggs. Only downside was the strong coffee - possibly not too freshly brewed. Staff quite quick at moving plates - we had to watch that. Craig was in place at reception as we checked out again handling it all competently. Location pretty good compromise between main A1 and central Peterborough.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BoldlyGO

Reviewed October 19, 2009

My wife asked for a quiet room and provision of fan, not always available in some hotels. We arrived at reception and were greeted nicely by the receptionist and told we had a delux room. It was up a flight of stairs and a good walk along a very long corridor, but of course, the nearer the end you are, the less people pass your door. We had a sofa and a window sofa, a huge bathroom, very comfortable bed, and view out to the woods behind, with rabbits and moor hens to watch. We used room service once, and that was quick and well managed.

Overall, it is hard to fault the hotel, apart from the fire alarm going off just before midnight on our first night. We found a letter under the door the following morning assuring us that staff had checked that this was a false alarm and cancelled the alarm.

Papers were delivered each morning, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Lovely relaxing stay, Spent one night at the Peterborough Marrott and throughly enjoyed it. Excellent facilities and service. Rooms were lovely, very clean and large bathroom.
Only downsize was the location, which can only be described as part of a business park, however an easy walk to the Harvester if you facny a quick drink,
Surroundings however were nice, with an abundance of wildlife and a friendly cat which sits outside the main enterance welcoming residents or just watching from afar! Enjoy your stay and the opportunity to chill out!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2009

Checked in without a reservation and discussed rates with receptionist, agreed a price for the family including breakfast. no family room available so adjoining rooms offered for family room rate. had a quick drink in the bar which was fine, ate out and returned to our very comfortable spacious rooms. i checked out early leaving the family to follow on later. my wife settled the bill and was charged for breakfast, i telephoned to ask that my account be credited and felt my service from reception staff at the hotel rude and bare faced lies.
complained to head office and to the gm to be offered a refund for my breakfast as a good will gesture, the receptionist got it wrong and will not admit it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

After requesting a change of room to escape an excellent view of a ventilation shaft, we got a pleasant quiet room overlooking the gardens. In this room, however, the air conditioning didn't work properly and the in-room safe was broken. We asked twice if they could be fixed but nothing happened and we heard no more. Almost every other service we requested at this hotel failed in some way or other, from newspapers that didn't arrive to slow service and poor quality food in the bar the whole experience was very disappointing. This was, by far, the worst Marriott that we have used.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arthur0102
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We spent one night there for £85 B&B. We had a spotless room and great bathroom. Breakfast in the restaurant was very nice, with a good choice of items. All in all, excellent value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I had to attend a training course at this hotel over the weekend of 8-12 May so naturally, was offered the chance to book into the hotel. Myself and my colleagues were offered a reduced rate because of the bulk-booking, so I paid to stay for four nights instead of three to combine it with a bit of a short break.

I booked over the phone, and they staff on the line were perfectly competent. Up until the point of check in I was really looking forward to the stay. After arriving at check in the first thing I noticed was how clean it was, but at check in the receptionist was giggling. Do you ever get that feeling it is you they are giggling at?

I was told the room I had booked was not ready and was moved to an upper floor room, 208. Upon arrival at the room I realised the items I had prebooked through the virtual concierge service (ie fruit and water) had not been delivered. The room was spotlessly clean, but the chrome in the bathroom was worn and drab, and the wire on the kettle was not insulated.

The folliowing morning I made reception aware of the problems, and by the time I got back to my room the kettle was fixed. I can't really go on and on about the particulars of the stay because I would be on here forever, but in general I was dissapointed. Our group kept having to go and ask for coffee because none of those facilities were being refilled, and I ordered generally the same things from room service each day, and the variation in presentation is worrying. Some days the full english came with BEANS!, other days it came with fried bread! One day my club sandwich was toasted, the next day is was plain white bread! Oh, and throughout the whole stay never once was I given a spoon with the room service.

My colleague was speaking to a manager on the Monday morning, so I chipped in. To be very fair to the hotel they are very quick at solving problems. On the final day that manager organised loads of complimentary goodies for our training group, and I was offered one night refunded.

Nonetheless, my colleagues and I and not to mention the training company had put a lot of money into that hotel over the weekend so when I got home, I wrote the hotel a four page letter detailing each and every problem I had encountered. I just felt so dissapointed and the lack of attention to detail. Within a week, the operations manager called me to offer sincere apologies, and in all honesty, he sounded genuine and caring and genuinely sad that the hotel had disapointed me. I was offered a further room night refund, as well as a refund for breakfasts incorrectly charged to my card.

The hotel has a health centre, a bar and a restaurant as well as a large conference suite. If I was offered the chance to stay again I would, however, because of the way in which my complaint was handled.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business