“Birthday Celebration” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarke's - CLOSED

Clarke's
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Modern British restaurant Offering fine dinning food.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Birthday Celebration”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booke online mentioning that it was a Birthday meal but never got a mention. We were there very early midweek so not many customers but still lacked atmosphere. No bar area to meet in so led straight to our table for pre-dinner drink. All the service seemed rushed & courses served too quickly-was asked if I had finished my soup when only half way through it. Food rather salty & too many flavours at once. Wine & water left out of reach on another table. Lots of niggles really. I can appreciate the artistic merit but not for me. The George at Stamford is far better. Prices reasonable for a Michelin listed restaurant. Almost reluctant to criticise as I notice the owners rather too touchy about any criticism given. Would not return but glad I went to check it for myself.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
nothereplease, Manager at Clarke's, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
I am sorry that your birthday dinner didn't measure up to your expectations. Sorry we don't have a bar as we are a small restaurant and consertrate on the food. If your food was to salty wish you had said on the night and we would of happly recooked it. Yes we take care in our presention and work hard to create big fresh well balanced flavors and i am sorry you didn't get that. Thank you for trying us any way and wish you many happy meals at the George.

Lee clarke

Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“Truly Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Finding a really good restaurant in Peterborough is sometimes difficult but my visit to Clakes at the start of Lincoln Road was truly exceptional. A la carte menu though a bit pricey was brilliant, can recommend qual starter and venison wellingthon, not too much each dish with two complimentary courses. Even the different bread at the start is a surprise.

Went for a family meal to celebrate 40 years since birth of daughter, even the children behaved, it was that good.

1 Thank Graham W
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, best in Peterborough”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you want to go somewhere special this is one of very few choices in Peterborough and probably the only first rate place in the city centre. The food is certainly getting on for, if not already, Michelin star quality. The Prix Fixe lunch menu offers excellent value for money and the wine list has some fantastic varieties to chose from. You won't be disappointed with the food and the service is polite, unassuming and friendly. Can be expensive for some wallets in Peterborough, but if you want quality, you should be prepared to pay that little bit extra for it. 5 Star.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank JBG1978
uk
“Excellent quality an affordable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Made our first vsit to Clarkes today , a group of four having Sunday lunch. The quality of the food was superb and such a good price for a three course meal. The staff were friendly without being over the top, Definately not stuffy. I wish this place was nearer to where we live as we would be regulars..

2 Thank trevor6410
Peterborough
“Lovely food and great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I went here last year for our first anniversary celebration. As it was just before Xmas we could not get booked in for the evening so we went on a Sunday afternoon instead.
The staff were courteous, polite and attentive, the service was very good.
We ordered from the Xmas menu, it was roughly £20 for 3 courses (if I remember rightly) which was very reasonable. The starter was small but very tasty, the main was a really good size portion, I had chicken and my boyfriend had beef, both were delicious.
When they brought over our desserts, we had a 'Happy Anniversary' message on my plate and we both recieved a complimentry glass of champagne which I thought was a really nice touch.
There was not much of an atmosphere the day we went but I think it was just because it was a Sunday afternoon. I would defintely go back to the restaurant again, I would like to try a Saturday night.
It's a great restarant for somewhere like Peterborough, we have a lot of the big chains so it's nice to have somewhere a bit different.

• Visited December 2012