“Great food, shame about the staff”
Review of chiquito

chiquito
Ranked #329 of 436 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame about the staff”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good bits
The food was excellent, we expected reheated food hiding behind too much chili powder.
Instead we found great selection of meals and a really tasty starter and main.

Bad bits
Waiting waiting and more waiting, this was lunch time, it wasn't even half full and there was plenty of staff.

Yet we had to wait a long time to be seated; there was no one there to great us and no sign to tell us what to do.
Wait a long long time for our drinks order to be taken; in the end no-one turned up.
Wait for our food order to be taken; no staff could be seen.
Wait for our food; longer than average but we don't mind this.
Wait for staff to show up so we can get more drinks.
Wait for the biil.

I stress this, the staff where not busy, they seriously need a kick in the pants.

“Such an improvement!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I have eaten in this Chiquitos restaurant previously but had not been here for over a year due mainly to the unsatisfying nature of the food served here.

Last evening we had planned an meal with friends and as we all fancied something with a touch of spice to it we passed over our "go to" Frankie & Bennies" to give Chiquitos one last roll of the dice.

On entering the restaurant we all rubbed the iguanas head for luck (no irony) and were shown to a booth by a charming young man named Ben. He immediately apologised for the impending experience we were facing due to the restaurant being "very short staffed". My immediate and perhaps ungenerous thought was, "how long does it take to microwave food these days?"

Anyway, we had come this far so we were not going to be deterred. We settled in to our booth and Ben took our drinks order. It was at this point that things started to look different. The menu had changed, not just in appearance but also in content. Was I really in Chiquitos or had I magically been beamed into chimichanga???

Despite a previous bad experience my wife and I ordered sharing nachos as a starter. When these arrived they were a revelation. Perhaps slightly over cooked but still very tasty and the chilli beef sour cream and guacamole topping were a fabulous accompaniment. The main course was just as satisfying. I had the fully loaded BBQ pork version and some skin on fries and I have to say, it was delicious.

We did the desert thing as well and the bananas deep fried in tortilla were a fitting end to the meal.

What a difference!

A year ago we vowed never to eat at this restaurant again. Now we will be regular diners here if the standards we experienced last night are maintained.

Special mention must go to Ben who worked incredibly hard to keep all of his diners happy at a time when his prophecy of an "under staffed" restaurant experience really was fulfilled. Indeed, had the food arrived more quickly the rating for service would have been a five rather than a four. That said, when the food arrived it was very much improved over previous visits. Let's hope they can maintain these new standards when they are fully staffed!

So, if like us you have avoided eating at Chiquitos for the past few months (or years), give it one last try. You may be as pleasantly surprised as we were.

Well done Chiquitos!

Well done Chiquitos

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Quite a difference”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have to say, if you'd asked me a few months back I'd have probably have agreed with the 1 and 2 star reviews on here but reluctantly I took a trip back here with my partner.

This time around the food was good, the atmosphere was pleasant and the staff were friendly and incredibly charismatic which was a complete different Chiquitos I experienced previously where food was cooked to within an inch of its life and staff couldn't care less about the customers in the restaurant.
It was nice to finally see a 'chain' restaurant actually producing something which didn't seem like it had come straight out a packet (even if it had!)

I'll definitely be going back here once more to see whether or not this visit was a fluke.

“Quite enjoyable Mexican”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I've been 3 times in a group of friends but feel Chiquito lacks something. I wouldn't book to go again personally. The restaurants are like Pizza Hut inside and the quality of food and service is along those lines too.
Ok for quick meal out with friends although it isn't cheap.

Visited February 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Not what it says on the tin”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I love Mexican food but have made nicer fajitas myself at home to be honest courtesy of Old El Paso.
The service we experienced wasn't exactly fast and although I don't like being hassled whilst dining I do like staff to be somewhat attentive. I gave up trying to get the staffs attention for another drink and went to the bar myself, it wasn't busy either.
Expensive for what you get, food & service wise. I'll give this place another try before I write it off completely.

• Visited June 2013