“My new favourite restaurant”

Posh Fish and Chips @ The Beehive
Ranked #3 of 461 Restaurants in Peterborough
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

We are seriously lacking in restaurants with a French twist in Peterborough so belatedly discovering The Beehive has been a pleasure. I've now been 3 times, twice for lunch and once for dinner and each time the food and service has been very excellent. It has a varied menu with specials on the day. I had the crispy Calamari for a starter which was cooked perfectly. I suppose the one gripe, that other reviewers have mentioned, is the included service charge. I feel this should be left to the discretion of the customer based on their experience. However this won't stop me from going again,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We've had several meals here, but this wasn't one of the best. First of all, £3.80 for a glass of soda and lime is taking the mickey. The mussels served for the starters were quite frankly very small and gristly - surely the kitchen should have noticed this. What was a real put-off came at the end when we noticed, having left £4 change from a £105 payment, that a gratuity of more than £9 (yes £9 - 10%) had been automatically added to the bill. We really don't like places that do this. Surely it is up to the diner to decide, based on satisfaction more than imposition. To end the rant, should the customer be entitled to a 10% discount if the food is as off-form as it was this time?
It would have been unfair to give a 'poor' rating, but a response to these issues would be valued.

2  Thank Simplesouls
BeehiveLauren, General Manager at Posh Fish and Chips @ The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Thank you for your review of our restaurant, I am sorry that your visit on Monday was not as enjoyable as previous experiences.
Just to clarify, we try to avoid responding on the Trip Advisor Site as we view it purely as a guide for people to research establishments. We prefer to discuss any issues with our customers in person if at all possible.
However to address your points, our soda water, along with all our soft drinks is an individually bottled, quality branded product. We do not use post mix syrups that are mixed with water and dispensed by a tap on the bar. As you requested a pint glass, this contained two 200ml bottles of Schweppes Soda at £1.80 each and a dash of Lime at 20p. These prices are clearly listed on our drinks menu on the back of our menus. I do hope you understand why we use only individually packaged, quality branded products.
Secondly, I can only apologise if you felt that the mussels you ordered were not up to standard. You are quite right in saying that an adjustment to the bill should be made if you are left unsatisfied. Having said this, unfortunately you made no indication to us that you were disappointed at any stage. Laura, the Manager on duty Monday evening, would have been more than happy to either replace the dish or remove it from the bill. However we are powerless to rectify the situation if you do not make your feelings known to us at the time. This also gives us the opportunity to address the issue with Chef and our Suppliers.
Finally with regards to the discretionary 10% service charge on your bill, this is completely discretionary and is clearly stated on the menu that every customer receives and on the bill itself. It is not compulsory and I am sorry that it escaped your notice. We endeavour to ensure customers do not tip over the discretionary service charge without being made aware. I hope this response has addressed the points you have raised, but I am disappointed that you felt you could not say anything at the time or even contact us directly. Please feel free to contact me personally either by phone or email at the Beehive, should you wish to discuss this further. We take all customer feedback very seriously and are always striving to improve what we do. I hope you visit us again soon as I see you have posted two positive reviews of The Beehive in the past and I would hate to lose your valued custom over a miscommunication.
Lauren Trevor

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We visited on a Tuesday night and was surprised how busy the restaurant was. The service was excellent and very efficient. All the staff were polite and took time to talk and interact with us. The food was exceptional was great to see that the chefs take pride in serving good quality products which were cooked to your requirements. I can say you have never had chips till you try them here!!!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

As a team of 10 colleagues we were a chaty group which others in my group sensed was an issue with staff. Most people had 3 course meal and the food itself was great. I particularly liked the chips and it was good to see they offered a real ale. Although glasses were on the table we had to ask for water. If staff had taken more consideration on seating of a large group of customers (we were next to a table for two) then I think everyone would have been happy and the sometimes frosty environment would have been avoided. A service charge was automatically added to the bill, but on a plus point due to the poor service this was not charged. For the food I would return; but as the whole experience should be based on food and service then I'm sorry to say I wouldn't revist in a hurry.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Peterborough has this wonderful little gem of a restaurant slap bang in its heart. It's a great place to eat, drink and while away time with friends and family, and the food is really good too. Sunday lunches are something special. We'll be back again soon.