“3rd time around” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #4 of 417 Restaurants in Peterborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“3rd time around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went to the Beehive for the third time for a reunion meal with some friends who we had not seen for a couple of years. My friend had booked the table for 1900hrs, we would have liked to have eaten later but were advised that no reservations were available. This was strange as the resturant was no fuller at 2000hrs than when we arrived.Having said that, it was apparent that two large parties were coming in later, so maybe to keep service efficient we were asked to eat earlier.
We had recommended The Beehive to our friends on the experience of two excellent previous meals, and once again the food did not disappoint, full marks all round, with attentive but not obtrusive efficient service. Total cost with tip £120 this includes drinks but not wine, very good value for upmarket Gastropub food.
I do however have a number of comments, which make the difference between a very good and a great meal.
Salt and Pepper, none on the table and had to be asked for, I know Nico Landenis famously threw out a dinner from Chez Nico for asking for salt, but you serve what the customer wants not what you think they need.
Food at the Pass, when our main courses arrived, there was a delay of at least three minutes between the first pair and last pair of dishes arriving, for the diner, there is that awkward bit, do you wait or do you start. I fully appreciate that dishes do take different times to prepare and cook, so it would seem logical to hold the food at "The Pass" and only serve when all dishes are ready. Looks a lot more professional as well. That being said food was excellent.
Coffee before dessert, definite no no, waitress took our order for dessert and coffee, again food excellent, but serving coffee well in advance of being served dessert, I don't think so. Had we been on our own I would have politely sent the coffee back.
Music, to be fair this was advertised outside and on the notice boards inside, and did start later than stated, however to end your meal with thumping "Northern Soul", not that I do not like Northern Soul, but not when I am out for a meal. Maybe management needs to look at this and decide which it wants the premises to be, we would have stayed longer had we been able to carry out a conversation.
So minor gripes aside, would I go back there, yes, would I recommend it, yes. It still is one of the best restaurants in Peterborough, and if the points raised above are addressed, then what was a very good meal would have been great. Try it I dont think you will be disappointed. I hope that those who read this will not think I am being picky, but have been objective in my comments.
To use my old school report analogy, " Doing excellent work, but needs to mind attention to detail".

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Beehive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

pass this pub everyday on the way to work and then had the opportunity to taste the interior. What a surprise, this place shot to the top of my fav pub lists. The service is exemplary, always attentive without being intrusive. The beer is well kept and the cellar sufficient without being unneccessarily extensive. The menu is like the wine cellar, choice is ample but the quality is to die for but a challenge to the waistline.

Its only negative is its location, being slightly away from the centre, however this does mean it remains a grown up pub, quiet without being boring, I recommend it to all who can.

Lincolnshire
“Fantastic Food and Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

What a fabulous find, Run by the same people who own Jims Yard in Stamford....the menu is great, the location superb with ample nearby parking and a knockout atmosphere. We will return, WELL recommended.

england
“Fab!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to a friendly welcome,we were not rushed on this very busy fri eve with our party of 8,we all enjoyed our food which was brought promptly and of very good standards ,we also took our own cake which was welcomed
Only small critic was that we all commented on how FULL up we were on 2 courses ,we shall most definitely visit again and maybe share a starter or pud next time

Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Always good food and great fun staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We ate here on Friday

It's a good place to meet friends and family

Well cooked to perfection and a good selection of different pub food

The manageress is helpful and she has trained her team well