“Ok”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This was our first stay here as a weekend away with the golden ticket scheme. We have booked in at another peel hotel with the golden ticket scheme many times and perhaps it is unfair to compare but we couldn't help it. The hotel was easy access for us from the railway station but friends had a problem via the sat nav. The hotel is on a main road in between everyday type shops and close to a small department store, so very handy if you have forgotten something. It is opposite a small shopping arcade and yards away from a mall. The hotel is oldie worldie with dark furnishings etc. the staff were friendly and that hotel nice and clean. We were on the second floor in the executive rooms which are at a quiet part of the hotel The rooms were modern, with a fridge, safe and large desk for anyone who needs to work during their stay. The bed was only a double and very firm.The only drawback was no lift and carrying luggage up and down not good. The breakfast was ok but nothing to get excited about. You help yourself to fruit, yoghurt and cereal. Toast is brought to your table but you were served at a hot plate for eggs, beans bacon etc, and as their was not a lot of people there, I felt it wasn't as fresh as I would have liked. With the golden ticket you are presented with a limited menu for the evening meals and the first night was sufficient food for myself and female friend but not for my husband. He chose cod and it was about the size of two fish fingers plus veg. The second night was better, we all chose belly pork but it was very chewy. Overall an ok experience.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are the executive rooms. They look onto a car park behind some shops and no-one used it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Linda W,
Thank you for your feedback resulting from your recent stay, we look forward to welcoming you back on some future occasion.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was my first stay at the Bull Hotel and I must say I was impressed. The standards of cleanliness were very high both in the rooms and in the public areas. Staff very helpful and welcoming. I will be coming back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Beverley S,
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and delighted that you intend coming back!
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Check-in set the scene for my first night at this hotel - attempted to charge me for breakfast that was already in my room rate. Room on the second floor of the modern extension - but no elevator.

Why not? No issues regarding listed building in this part of the hotel. It's all new so four flights of stairs is unacceptable. Avoid if you have heavy luggage. Absence of air conditioning in a modern extension is also difficult to understand. No elevator, no air-con? Penny pinching.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so annoyed about basic creature comforts in a 4 star hotel though, because there is a beautiful stair case in the lobby.

Both reading lamps above the bed didn't work. Basic housekeeping should have trapped this before I arrived. Kettle didn't work either so I rang the front desk at 11.15 pm, no reply for almost ten minutes. Ditto on the Room Service number. Obviously under-staffed.

Car parking has to be validated every day for multi-day stays. Don't rely on your sat-nav to get you to the car park on the basis of the postcode alone - you won't get there.

All in all, I am not impressed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

ColinBeUK
I am disappointed with your comments. Firstly, we had received a few problems with our power supply earlier in the evening and it would appear that this has fused some of the circuitry in your room as well as one or two on the floor below. I am sorry that it took a while to make contact with our reception team, the switchboard was busy, and although we were aware of your call, your call was in a queue, and was answered as soon as possible.
We are a licensed building, and I am sorry you are wrong, we are unable to install a lift anywhere on these premises for that reason. Assistance is always offered when gusts are checking in, or out as the case may be.
Due to the fact that we are a large site, and that the entrance to our car park is on a different road to our main entrance, the postcode for our car park is different to the hotel, and for that reason when confirming your booking with us, we also confirm the postcode for the car park as well which is also posted on our hotel website.
In regard to the car park, like every other car park . the ticket is validated every time you leave the car park, and a new ticket issued every time that you enter, unfortunately the machinery is unable to do it any other way.
I very much hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon on some future occasion.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

3rd time we've stayed here so that kinda says a lot.... Bar prices a bit on the expensive side as is the restaurant but with many decent places within spitting distance this isn't really a big issue, The breakfast at £13 each is also just that bit too much for my liking too, However having said that the hotel is very pleasant and has a lovely feel to it and the rooms are more than adequate, I am writing this review from room 324 in the executive wing and at £86 for the night (room only) I do think this is quite expensive for the "luxury" of having a bit of wooden flooring and a desk !! £60 would be more realistic.... All that said, I wouldn't hesitate in re-booking but maybe a standard room is more than adequate next time. All in all this is a lovely hotel well situated in the heart of a nice vibrant city

Room Tip: Booking.com seems to be the cheapest way to book this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

bigtrev100,
Thank you for your review, and I am pleased that you have just enjoyed your third stay with us.
I am a little confused at your comments regarding our prices, which I believe are extremely competitive. For instance our breakfast price is £13.00 which included VAT,but also locally sourced sausages, bacon, eggs, etc, and you can eat as much as you like.
In regard to our room prices, the price that you mention again is very competitive when you consider that you have stayed mid week when occupancy is extremely high, and no further charge is made for the provision of overnight car parking which is the norm for some of our competitors.
I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon, and assure you that all feedback is very valuable to us.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Had an enjoyable stay at The Bull for our friend's wedding. Staff very friendly and attentive. Rooms very good and well equipped and the additional bed which we requested was a decent single bed, not a put you up camp bed.
We did not eat in the restaurant but the wedding buffet was good. Drinks a bit pricey in the bar. Breakfast was ok but the table we were seated at was not laid up properly and we had to ask for everything which was not very relaxing.
Ideal location for the centre of town and right opposite John Lewis. Good shopping centres right on the doorstep.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness centre so above not applicable. Rooms at back of hotel were newest and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Sarah B,
Thank you for your review, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced at breakfast, please be assured that I have taken the appropriate action to ensure that our typical standards are restored immediately.
Thank you for taking the time to report your experiences.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Although we live local we decided to book a room at the Bull while attending a wedding reception, everything was very good, the room was very well appointed, clean and the décor was first class, Full marks too, to all the staff who did all they could to make our stay a pleasant one. If I have one complaint it was the car park, very poorly marked and as I am disabled I was less than best pleased to find a BMW without a blue badge taking up two disabled spaces, this was reported but nothing appeared to have been able to be done, the culprit no doubt off on his or her own business.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking an executive room as we did, as out grand daughter had a larger room than w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

William T,
Thank you for your very kind review. I was sorry to learn that someone had parked in one of our dedicated disabled parking spaces which obviously did inconvenience you.
I will ensure that we tighten up our procedures in this regard, and I am glad that this did not detract from your enjoyment of your time with us. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location of this hotel is really good. I've stayed in a lot of 4* hotels in UK and I wouldn't describe this one as 4*. I can compare the rooms in executive and normal wing. My review is for classic double. The room 104 especially bathroom definitely needs a renovation. The bathroom was cold with noisy and not working ventilation, non effective heating rail (it works only when the light was turn on), there was black granting and green limescale head shower, the bath curtain with the sign of mildew. The card style keys often haven't worked and had to be reset at the reception.
The breakfast was OK, but the sfaff were not bothered to add more food even when I asked for more fruit or croissant.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

ErikaMG,
Thank you for your review, and it is disappointing that you did not share your experiences with us at the time, enabling us to take positive steps whilst you were here to improve the quality of your stay.
I shall communicate your feedback at our next staff briefing and ensure that where applicable the necessary improvements are made to our performance.
I hope that this recent experience will not deter you from staying with us on some future occasion, and hope that we will see you again in the future.