“A little disappointing”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I booked an executive king room & had quite high expectations given the price. While it was pleasant I was surprised at the lack of view. I was also surprised that I had to scratch around on the floor to find an electric socket to plug the kettle in - the lead just reached onto the work top.
The bathroom was nice but nothing special - the bath & shower were dated & did not have the finish I would have expected given the billing on the website etc. All in all I would go back but I'd question the hotel in advance before accepting my room as I'm sure they can't all be like the one I had.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank FarAwayFromHome
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

FarAwayFromHome,
Thank you for your review, City centre hotels are exactly that I am afraid, and not renowned for their superb views in every corner.
I have noted your other comments which will be of great value to us.
I do hope that you will try us again when next you are visiting Peterborough in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed 1 Saturday night in December and found Hotel to be very good all round, check-in was friendly and quick, room was quiet and well furnished with nice bathroom, only slight downside was carpet which could have been cleaner, however did not feel need to complain.
Excellent city centre location and one could walk from rail station if required, car park needs a little research beforehand via map to familiarise with entrance but once located is very good.
Pretty good value for money but did not have breakfast option on deal.
Wi-fi was acceptable and good thing about it was it was free.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

burritoman,
Thank you for your feedback, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The Bull Hotel welcomes you with a stone arched porch and a splendid oak door. You are lead to the reception, tucked behind a corner, by a number of impressive portraits and landscapes which create the mediaeval banqueting feel of the ground floor. Impressive entrance and we were served quickly at reception.

Naturally I expected my room to be a little different, and it was, comfortable but the bathroom was a little dated and the TV could do with an upgrade.

Dinner in the Hotel was good quality and fairly priced.

Breakfast however, like so many hotels, was buffet and I personally am not keen on this format, especially where you cannot serve yourself and yet there are no staff to serve you (constantly busy seating other customers or helping the check out desk). My also took too long to get to my table. The breakfast offering was decidedly average and disappointing considering the quality of the evening meal.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Tom F,
Thank you for your review, so sorry that you felt our breakfast offering was average, this really does surprise me, however I promise to make improvements wherever possible for the future enjoyment of our guests.

I do hope that this does not deter you from staying with us again, and I very much look forward to that at the earliest opportunity.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the bull for two days and all in all found it to be a very nice hotel, but with a couple of quirks, the second day of our stay we went to our room only to find we couldn’t get in, at the reception we were told that the keys get updated every day, it would have been nice to be told that on our arrival, the large car park is an absolute night mare to find due to the one way system ,if you have sat nav your best bet it to set it for the central library as the car park is just passed the library on the left.
The other tip we can give do not pay inflated breakfast charges if you go out of the hotel via the car park at the rear, walk out of the car exit the collage arms is the first building on the left where you can get a very cheap breakfast from 8am we also ate there at night reasonable food and 10 real ales. You couldn’t get a better hotel location for shopping as just outside the front entrance across the road you are straight into the very large shopping centre

Room Tip: dont eat there go to weatherspoons the collage arms go to the carpark exit 1st on the left
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Biffothebear69
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Biffothebear69,
Thank you for your kind review, and I am glad that you had a good time staying with us.
It really is a shame that you did not try our award winning food during your stay which would have been a real treat, yes it is a little more expensive than others, but the quality really is worth the extra. Never mind, possibly next time when we really do look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in the hotel as we were using the conference facilities next door for some work training.

The hotel was a nice traditional English hotel and well looked after. My room was clean, the bathroom had recently been refurbished. We ate our evening meal in the brasserie restaurant and the food was good.

I only have 2 issues; 1. The bed was a little hard for my liking and I didn't sleep all that well. 2. The food in the restaurant in the evening was great, the chef's obviously know what they're doing. However, I have no idea who came up with the idea of the celery smoothie that accompanied my cheese board as it was disgusting!

I'd stay there again, but I wouldn't have the cheese board!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank R_Kershaw
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear R_Kershaw,
Thank you for your very kind review, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us recently.
I have noted your comments regarding the bed, and also your personal dislike of the celery smoothie, and I promise that your valuable feedback will be shared with all concerned at one of our regular team briefings.
Thank you again and I hope that we will see you in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Reviewed December 11, 2013

6 of us ordered baguettes ...we received a fresh Baguettes with very poor tasteless fillings at £6.50 each, utter waste of money. We also had teas and coffees.
The staff were pleasant but oh so slow, this place needs a good kick up the backside,.
There are many good restaurants in Peterborough centre, The Bull was very disappointing.
We have no reason to go back, and good reason to stay away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Mike T,
I have read your review, and can find no record of your mentioning any of this whilst you were at the hotel,which would have enabled us to take some appropriate positive action. Obviously it was easier for you to do this, and go away and be critical of our performance afterwards.
I will fully investigate your comments, and if proven, will take the necessary action to ensure that immediate improvements are made.
We serve very many happy and satisfied clients in our coffee shop every day, and pride ourselves on the quality of food, served in efficient and relaxed surroundings.
Sometimes, and very occasionally, we may not get things absolutely perfect, but we are always happy to rectify matters in the interest of good quality service.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for one night. Location seems to be good, in the town's centre.

We were welcomed by the friendly front desk staff. Received our room keys and headed up. When getting to the room is was quite cold, which for me is not too big of a deal. What I did not like was the freezing cold bathroom floor. Room was a tat small and a bit outdated if you ask me. Nice flat screen TV tho. Free wifi is provided which is a must for me.

Had a couple drinks at the bar, which I really likes. After that dinner, which was decent nothing too special.
Breakfast was the same as dinner, OK nothing special.

I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

MikeB92,
Thank you for your review, I am a little puzzled, the hotel is grade 2 listed and is very unique in terms of it's lay out and decor. Your review is headed, "fine hotel, rooms a little bit outdated.
Not really sure what you mean. The building is old and therefore was built to the specifications of the time. We have sympathetically restored and upgraded the building in keeping with the unique character of the building, and indeed continue to spend vast sums of monies to further improve our lovely hotel.
I am also confused at your comments regarding the food, and regret that you did not take the time to let us know exactly what you were looking for in the food that you consumed at both dinner and breakfast for which typically we receive excellent feedback and has received an AA rosette for culinary excellence.
thank you once again for your feedback.