“top notch location”

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Northampton, United Kingdom
“top notch location”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at the bull for two days and all in all found it to be a very nice hotel, but with a couple of quirks, the second day of our stay we went to our room only to find we couldn’t get in, at the reception we were told that the keys get updated every day, it would have been nice to be told that on our arrival, the large car park is an absolute night mare to find due to the one way system ,if you have sat nav your best bet it to set it for the central library as the car park is just passed the library on the left.
The other tip we can give do not pay inflated breakfast charges if you go out of the hotel via the car park at the rear, walk out of the car exit the collage arms is the first building on the left where you can get a very cheap breakfast from 8am we also ate there at night reasonable food and 10 real ales. You couldn’t get a better hotel location for shopping as just outside the front entrance across the road you are straight into the very large shopping centre

Room Tip: dont eat there go to weatherspoons the collage arms go to the carpark exit 1st on the left
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Biffothebear69
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Biffothebear69,
Thank you for your kind review, and I am glad that you had a good time staying with us.
It really is a shame that you did not try our award winning food during your stay which would have been a real treat, yes it is a little more expensive than others, but the quality really is worth the extra. Never mind, possibly next time when we really do look forward to welcoming you back.

Alan Price

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I stayed in the hotel as we were using the conference facilities next door for some work training.

The hotel was a nice traditional English hotel and well looked after. My room was clean, the bathroom had recently been refurbished. We ate our evening meal in the brasserie restaurant and the food was good.

I only have 2 issues; 1. The bed was a little hard for my liking and I didn't sleep all that well. 2. The food in the restaurant in the evening was great, the chef's obviously know what they're doing. However, I have no idea who came up with the idea of the celery smoothie that accompanied my cheese board as it was disgusting!

I'd stay there again, but I wouldn't have the cheese board!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank R_Kershaw
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear R_Kershaw,
Thank you for your very kind review, and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us recently.
I have noted your comments regarding the bed, and also your personal dislike of the celery smoothie, and I promise that your valuable feedback will be shared with all concerned at one of our regular team briefings.
Thank you again and I hope that we will see you in the not too distant future.

Regards,
Aslackby
Reviewed December 11, 2013

6 of us ordered baguettes ...we received a fresh Baguettes with very poor tasteless fillings at £6.50 each, utter waste of money. We also had teas and coffees.
The staff were pleasant but oh so slow, this place needs a good kick up the backside,.
There are many good restaurants in Peterborough centre, The Bull was very disappointing.
We have no reason to go back, and good reason to stay away.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Mike T,
I have read your review, and can find no record of your mentioning any of this whilst you were at the hotel,which would have enabled us to take some appropriate positive action. Obviously it was easier for you to do this, and go away and be critical of our performance afterwards.
I will fully investigate your comments, and if proven, will take the necessary action to ensure that immediate improvements are made.
We serve very many happy and satisfied clients in our coffee shop every day, and pride ourselves on the quality of food, served in efficient and relaxed surroundings.
Sometimes, and very occasionally, we may not get things absolutely perfect, but we are always happy to rectify matters in the interest of good quality service.

Ederveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for one night. Location seems to be good, in the town's centre.

We were welcomed by the friendly front desk staff. Received our room keys and headed up. When getting to the room is was quite cold, which for me is not too big of a deal. What I did not like was the freezing cold bathroom floor. Room was a tat small and a bit outdated if you ask me. Nice flat screen TV tho. Free wifi is provided which is a must for me.

Had a couple drinks at the bar, which I really likes. After that dinner, which was decent nothing too special.
Breakfast was the same as dinner, OK nothing special.

I would probably stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
MikeB92,
Thank you for your review, I am a little puzzled, the hotel is grade 2 listed and is very unique in terms of it's lay out and decor. Your review is headed, "fine hotel, rooms a little bit outdated.
Not really sure what you mean. The building is old and therefore was built to the specifications of the time. We have sympathetically restored and upgraded the building in keeping with the unique character of the building, and indeed continue to spend vast sums of monies to further improve our lovely hotel.
I am also confused at your comments regarding the food, and regret that you did not take the time to let us know exactly what you were looking for in the food that you consumed at both dinner and breakfast for which typically we receive excellent feedback and has received an AA rosette for culinary excellence.
thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

I did not sleep until almost 2pm there is a loud student night on Tuesday that affects one side of the hotel. Just make sure you are on the front. I complained and manager thought I was making it up. I will never stay here again.

Breakfast is good but from bar lounge is soulless

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chris H
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Chris H,
Thank you for your review and also the opportunity of being able to correspond with you through Tripadvisor behind the scenes.
I obviously apologise to you fro the disturbed night that you had as a result of some noise outside of our control, however very pleased that our Night Manager responded positively by offering you an alternative room, which I believe that you declined.
I confirm that it is not our policy to refund guests, particularly when their employer is paying the account, and regret that we were unable to meet your request. I have now made sure that your experiences have been entered into our computer as part of your history in order to avoid a similar occurrence in the future.

Once again thank you for taking the time to report this to me.

Wolverhampton
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Stayed here many times over the last 12 years, We have always found the staff to be helpful and welcoming. Always happy to help. The rooms as with the whole hotel are well kept clean and tidy. Dependent on where you are in the hotels rooms can vary in size, but we have always found them to have plenty of space for us. If you fancy a quite drink in a relaxing setting its also nice to sit in the bar area admire the surroundings and relax in comfort.
The hotel is in a great central location close to plenty of places to eat and drink. Its close to the main shopping centre and easy access to all shops if that's your thing. As well as just a short walk to the Cathedral.

All in all this is a lovely place to spend a few nights with a mix of old character, more modern aspects and lovely staff

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PeterboroughAprice, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
BeenThereWillYou,
It was very nice of you to post such a kind review, following your most recent stay with us.
We are absolutely thrilled that you enjoy our lovely hotel, and that you have been visiting us for such a long time now. This indeed does keep us on our toes, and we are pleased that we are able to maintain such consistency.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Alan M Price
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Have stayed at The Bull Hotel on numerous occasions. Have always found it very comfortable and stash very efficient and helpful. Excellent position for a shopping trip. Near to restaurants although the food is very good and it is a short walk to the magnificent Catherdral.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front street because lorries unloading goods at 3 am are very noisy
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Babswroe,
Thank you for your lovely review, and particularly your comments regarding the quality of our excellent food. Our Chef is delighted with your feedback which is always well received.
Look forward to welcoming you back soon.