“Actually not bad, but don't go to Peterborough unless you have to.”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
London, United Kingdom
“Actually not bad, but don't go to Peterborough unless you have to.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We got a very good deal, staying for one night at the Bull. The reception staff are very friendly, the public areas of the hotel are charming, and the room, although pretty small and really a bit too warm, was otherwise absolutely fine.
I'm a stickler for a decent shower, and this one was great.
We didn't eat at the hotel, but we did go to the bar, where the service left a lot to be desired. Don't do it.

On the whole though, it's a decent place to stay and it would be in any town.

Unfortunately for the Bull, it's in Peterborough which is the only place I've ever been in the whole country without one decent pub, unless you count the one in a barge on the river. I'm glad we booked it though, because in a town whose centre is so small, you want to be staying somewhere at least vaguely central, and the Bull is exactly that.

You won't regret staying at the Bull. You might regret coming to Peterborough at all, but not because of this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid a room at the front if you're staying at the weekend. The angry people of Peterborough who...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smtsm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at the Bull for a weekend in October and although our double room was very clean and the bathroom was very tidy, there was hardly no through ventilation due to the windows being restricted to opening by three inches.
As a result of this, even in mid October with the heating switched off completely and the window open to its maximum, the room literally felt like a furnace. My partner and I had to have shower in the middle of the night, in order to overcome the swelteringly hot climate within the room and this only reprieve for a couple of hours. It doesn't matter how clean or tidy a room is unless the conditions make it conducive to a pleasant night's rest!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lincolnshire
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The only 4 star hotel in Peterborough and really a very good location for both the Queensgate shopping centre and for the truly majestic cathedral. The hotel has a large car park, very comfortable rooms and efficient, friendly staff. Only used the restaurant for breakfast but was very pleased with quality and service. Room prices were reasonable for a 4 star but the only "black mark" was the very expensive drinks from the bar.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
genmgrpet, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Youngatheart55,
I was very happy to receive your feedback, and delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Our bar prices, by comparison to other hotels nearby are very reasonable, and in fact are priced, to not be overtly be more expensive than our competitors within the city centre. As with all things nowadays, the price of buying in the product is ever more expensive and the profit margin becomes less and less, once we have remained competitive in our pricing and paid the VAT which is twenty per cent of the selling price.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Bull for a long weekend, we booked an executive room which was large and spacious. Room was spotlessly clean. There was a shower and a lovely deep bath. Kingsize bed was really comfortable.
Public areas were clean and tidy. It was a busy Saturday night as there was a Wedding reception on but the hotel didnt feel over crowded or noisey. Breakfast was excellent.
Staff were friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
genmgrpet, Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear CazWill 140364,
That was really nice of you, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward enormously to welcoming you back here before too long.

Kind regards,
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Bull is a stylish and upmarket hotel with a strong historic theme coupled with modern facilities. Marketing collateral within the hotel describes it as the only 4* property in the centre of Peterborough and it is a good business base though WiFi sadly did not work in my room.

Driving to the Bull was straightforward since it was a Point of Interest in my SatNav database but this did not allow for the vagaries of the town’s one-way system and in any case the hotel’s car park is at the rear of the property on Fitzwilliam Street (PE1 2RU). Do watch for this if driving. A ticket does need to be taken from the car park machine but reception will scan this to allow exit at no charge.

The hotel itself is very smart with a heavy dark wood theme with a number of portraits and paintings of Peterborough centuries ago. There is a genuine sense of history to the property – it is even reputed to be haunted by the spirit of a dog – and that certainly added to my stay.

The room had been pre-paid (£117 for one night) so check-in was fast although I was asked to leave a deposit on a card when opening a tab which was a little unusual and not entirely trusting of guests staying there. That said, I was soon on my way up the stairs – n.b. there is no lift – to one of the Executive rooms #324.

A key card allowed me access to the room and it was very smart indeed, spacious with a desk prominent in the room, a table plus chairs, fridge, electronic safe, widescreen tv, double bed, and a modern bathroom plus bathrobe.

This was very much a working visit and although the hotel has no fewer than 3 password protected WiFi hotspots – free for guests - the one closest to my room (WiFi point 3) did not allow me to connect which was mildly annoying. It would have been possible to work in the bar but rather than shuffling papers I chose to work offline in the room instead.

The area around the hotel is a little rough and noisy at night and the only local eateries seemed to be a couple of pubs and a Nando’s. For this reason I ate in the hotel bar which proved to serve good food with very good service and would be my recommendation for guests staying here. The Brasserie’s evening menu was overly expensive for my tastes but this was the location for breakfast the next morning (£13 extra) which included cereals, toast, fruit and a selection of cooked breakfast items served from hot trays by the staff.

In all, the hotel is smart and modern with a special ambience due to its historic theme. The presence of a car park for guests is also very useful. Guests should be aware that there is no lift, that the dining options are overpriced, especially the Brasserie menu, and that WiFi may be patchy or not work at all.

Nonetheless if returning to Peterborough we shall stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid 324 if needing to use Wifi. Ask for low floor to avoid climbing too many flights of stairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GeorgieChester
Dear GeorgieChester,
Thank you for your rview and I am really pleased that you enjoyed the character of this fine building.
We look forward to seeing you again very soon,
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I must admit I normally stay in the Holiday Inn, but it was fully booked and so this week I stayed in the Bull. My room was nicely furnished and very clean. A minor criticism was that there was not much working space - I like to have my laptop and documents spread out and there wasn't really enough room for this. Breakfast was a delight, properly served rather than the usual serve yourself. In the evening I had snacks in the bar, again a very nice experience with a warm atmosphere in the bar.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Mr Odud,
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that you stayed with us , for us to show you what you have been missing.
I really hope that now you have found us, that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back here on many more subsequent occasions.

Kind regards,
york
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews. In fact our room (though booked at the cheapest available rate) was recently refurbished, very comfortable and well-equipped. We ate a la carte in the evening - starter and mains courses were fresh, tasty and excellently cooked and served. Dessert was disappointing and I would not try again. Breakfast was a good choice of standard fare and good quality. B+B was excellent value for two at £98 and dinner with wine was a treat at £87 - just wish we had missed out the deserts.

We enjoyed exploring the town, the honey-coloured huge market-square, the impressive cathedral and cosy cathedral close. My only experience of Peterborough had been long, draughty and unpleasant waits between trains at the rather grim railway station. The Bull and the town centre was much more impressive and interesting than I had dared hope. Definitely a good stop-over just off the A1.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Skimblejones,
Thank you for your review, and I am grateful for your feedback. You say that you were disappointed with your dessert, but I can find no record of your having brought this to our attention at the time, enabling us to take positive action to rectify the matter, neither have you told me what was the problem here.
I am pleased that you did enjoy all other spects of your stay with us, and really look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.

Alan M Price