“christmas at the bull”
Review of Bull Hotel

Bull Hotel
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed December 27, 2011

this old coaching inn is excellent the bedroom and shower bath excellent
the staff very friendly from alan price jo matt gerald all the staff were the most helpful staff .
the food was excellent the hotel is like a art galley with a picture of james 1 and many others
the enteriment was good as well
i like the duck given as a gift in the bathroom the only promblem there was no porridge
it was easy to peterborough catherdal and the key theatre
keep up the good work

Room Tip: try 148 a good size room
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
genmgrpet, General Manager/ Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2012

Dear tony 726,
Thank you for your comments, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas break with us. Porridge is one of those food items that is prepared to order and not cooked in advance, I distinctly remember it being served throughout the entire holiday, however because it was not cooked in advance, it was not on display. Next, time, and I really hope that there will be a next time, when we once again have the pleasure of looking after you, do ask.
Thank you once again for taking the time to convey your appreciation, we are thrilled that you had a good time.
Happy new year to you.

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel as so much character as soon as you step into it. The reception/foyer is so spacious and connected to the bar so there were lots of seating. We arrived a little early and so our room wasn't ready yet but they were perfectly happy with keeping our bags while we explored a little bit. Our room was lovely, nothing special though apart from the bathroom which was looked rather modern and actually had a bath which seems to be a rarity in hotels these days.

The bed was comfy but could definitely have done with a duvet instead of just a few blankets. Also, there was a party going on in the function room which we didn't mind but we could still hear the bass from the music gone 1am, then it sounded as if someone was someone was singing pretty loud down the mic around 1:30am.. and I've got problems with my hearing so god knows what it would sound like to someone with perfect hearing. Surely it could have ended a bit earlier in consideration of hotel guests who are trying to sleep.

Aside from the bedding and the party, it's a lovely stay in Peterborough, close to everything you need. I'd definitely stay here again but would probably ask if anything was going on at the hotel at night before booking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function room if there's something planned for that night.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Yellowstorm 88,
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to respond, there have been a few technical problems, and so thank you for bearing with me.
I am really pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
obviously your stay with us did take place around the same time that our Christmas party season started, and so the users of our hotel were a little more excitable than usual as a result of the festivities.
Your comments regarding duvets have been noted, and I confirm that the implementation of these is now upto just over 90% of our rooms, with the rest to be completed soon.

I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed December 8, 2011

Have visited The Bull for Sunday lunch around Christmas time for a number of years.
This year the carvery is served as a 'plated ' meal and was very disappointing.
At 1.15 there was no beef available although the restaurant had only been open 45 minutes.
The roast lamb was served with two roast potatoes , a yorkshire and an individual portion of vegetables - 3 pieces of parsnip ,one floret of brocolli and creamed leaks (more cream in one portion than leeks). The mint sauce was so sweet it spoiled the meal.Not good value at all compared to previous years - indeed the sandwiches served in the bar were more substantial.

One of our party uses a wheel chair and the service to provide a ramp to the dining room was exceptional - I just wish the food reflected the enthusiasm of the staff who went out of their way to help.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I loved staying at the Bull Hotel. It is conveniently located right across the street from the shops and there are a ton of services within walking distance. My room was new and clean and I was very comfortable here - great bed! The staff was very friendly and helpful. Overall it was a fabulous experience. The only thing you have to remember is that the front desk closes early, so you can't book wake up calls after their business hours. They don't have a gym, but there is one down the block that gives Bull guests access for only 3 pounds/visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
genmgrpet, General Manager/ Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Dear Emma_B_19,
We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel. Just one small thing, our reception desk is open 24 hours per day, after 11pm at night our night porter service takes over, as is customary in hotels throughout the world.
We really look forward to seeing you very soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just got back from a lovely weekend away visiting family and exploring Cambridgeshire and I haven't stopped talking about the Bull to friends and family. As I am Manchester born and bred I have not ventured much into this part of the country except to visit family but I and my wife will be sure to return to the Bull to cheer ourselves up in January..
The hotel is elegant in every sense, the staff most hospitable and the food to die for! May I recommend the Turf Sharing platter, it is a refreshing change on the usual sharing meals available in many restaurants.
Many thanks to the lovely staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
genmgrpet, General Manager/ Operations Director at Bull Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

RobertM,
Thank you for your excellent feedback. We are very grateful, and we look forward to welcoming you back in January.

Kind regards,

Reviewed November 25, 2011

This hotel is right in the middle of Peterborough and just a 5 minute walk from the bus and rail stations. Although the some of the rooms are dated in decor they are clean and very comfortable and most have a bath which is a bonus. Flat screen TVs have a multitude of channels and proper hairdryers are provided (no keeping your finger on a stupid button), Breakfast is uninspiring and you can't serve yourself but all the same it it hot and fresh.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This hotel has always had a good reputation we stayed here a few times over 10 years ago and it was lovely but when we stayed here for a wedding it was no longer nice only average the room was basic but does need an update badly nicer more comfortable beds and more luxury in the rooms you pay more for a night here and that was with money off for attending the wedding and staying here.
It is an old building that is great but what about the thicker towells and plenty of them better bed linen thicker carpet nicer cups better bathroom fixtures all of this can be easily rectified.??? we stayed b4 jan 2010 I dont wish to put the correct date as it was friends wedding.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view and if it is not ask to move do keep silent on this good view at the fron...
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Dawntyler,
Thank you for your review, and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations. It does not help that your comments have not been made here whilst you were staying with us, which would have enabled us to rectify matters immediately, Also you have not provided us with the actual date of your stay, enabling me to check the authenticity of your comments.
I have been responsible for this hotel for nearly ten years. During that time we have received four star recognition from the AA, as well as a Rosette for our food, we also have spent in excess of four million pounds as an ongoing commitment to quality, reinvesting in the fabric of the building.
Your comments regarding laundry which is supplied by an industry recognised brand and supplies a large number of UK hotels have been noted, but I am a little puzzled by your subjective comments regarding the bathroom fixtures, the thickness of the carpet, and the cups used in the bedroom.
I hope that you will stay with us again, and that you contact me firstly in order that I can personally oversee your stay.