“Yet another visit”

Holiday Inn Express Peterborough
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Back down here again this time for three nights, nothing much has changed, the staff are still friendly, the rooms are clean and the "no frills" breakfast sets you up for the day, and our little dog is made welcome.
We love the location being less than a mile from the A1, a great stop off for a visit to family in London, this hotel is extremely good value for money and we can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are located near the A1 which is one of the reasons that you stay with us but I can see from your review that everything was adequate and that you have stayed with us before I hope we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

not a bad hotel easy to find ok for the money pleasant and very helpful staff I had a problem connecting to the wifi and the young man on reception sorted it for me breakfast nothing to shout about evening not great rooms are cleani would suggest you get a room upstairs as u can hear people walking in the room above also if u park at the side of the hotel reverse in as its a dead end at the bottom and if u have a larger car u may struggle if u have a larger car

Room Tip: ask for a room upstairs and at the far end of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Amanda C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry your stay was not as it could of been, but at the same time very please the member of staff could help you with the logging on of the internet.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Not a great experience. First impressions were fine, parking was easy and checkin in was quick and friendly. The room was basic and the widely publicised free wifi was slow and eratic. Food in the evening was limited to say the least. The specials board just a selection of items from the main menu (such imagination) and the wine rancid and vinegary to be polite.
I found the mattress to be soft and unsupportive and breakfast the next morning to be an absolute gimmick. Beans and sausages only, no microwaved egg powder (aka Holiday Inn Express scrambled eggs), no pastries and juice out of a machine.
Would I bother returning, of course not.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your stay with us was unpleasant.
Your review is welcome as it helps us to address where the hotel has not met your expectations which in turn enables us improve our standards for our future guests. I'm sorry that you felt that breakfast was not as good as it could be, this is a focus for the hotel going forward.
We hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Express in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed here for buisiness recently and having used a number of different HIE's across the country, this one is possibly the worst. The good points - it was clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable and there was ample free parking. The poor points - I was the only person at reception and was left ignored for several minutes before being checked in. I was then told I had to register a debit card despite being on bill back to my company. This was eventually acepted after some debate. My travel partner was advised a booking had not been made despite them havig the fax - this was their error and they tried to pass it off as our company's. When we went for our evening meal, there were 2 other people in the restaurant and it very much felt like a funeral home. The menu is extremely limited and the food was dry and pre-packaged. Breakfast didnt fare much better and was a poor experience - cold coffee, very poor orange juice. This was really a poor hotel and had I not been with a colleague, I would have felt very uncomfortable sitting in the restaurant/bar area by myself.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Amanda C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

The review was not nice to read as I can see that the hotel and staff let you down on this occasion. I will be sharing your comments with all the staff at our staff meeting so that we can use your comments for future

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Let's call a spade a spade; this is a Holiday Inn, and you really can't expect too much by way of standards. I stayed here on business a couple of months ago, and I have to concede that it did the job... I didn't die of exposure.

Being completely upfront, the food here is abysmal and there really isn't much choice nearby (the Harvester next door is also awful), unless you fancy a drive / long walk to the Cuckoo in the nearby village. The room I stayed in felt like it was made of cardboard, and I was incorrectly put in the "special access" room, which meant the shower flooded the entire bathroom as there was no glass screening, or tiling to demark the edge of the shower area for that matter. The less said about the "dinner" the better. They made no effort to mask the sound of the microwave pinging in the background; I'll return the favour by making no attempt to hide my disdain.

The reason this place gets one extra "point" is because the staff are relatively helpful. The gentleman behind the counter knew that the best he could do was to try and polish the proverbial, and went out of his way to allow me an early breakfast each morning. This enabled me to hold my nose and swallow some half stale bread rolls and slimy canned grapefruit segments, all to the dulcet tones of Jeremy Kyle who appeared to be a favourite of the staff there. The same chap also recommended an acceptable pub down the road where I went most nights to drink to forget which town I was in

The price was excessive for what it was, but even in view of that you should know what you're getting with this chain. Poor overall, 2/5.

Room Tip: Look up Sophie's choice...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear nilesfromfrasier,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations and service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We do take each of the reviews we receive very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Thank you again for your comments, we truly hope to have the pleasure of serving you again soon.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst visiting the city. It's positioned about four miles out of Peterb.orough which was a £10 taxi each way. We arrived early and coulodn't check in, no problem there, and we asked reception if we could leave the car, go into town and check in on our return that evening, which they agreed to. On our return the room was ready, the sofa bed had been set up ready for our little one and the staff were very friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room was as expected for a budget room hotel but was warm, clean and functional. the bedding was clean and crisp and the bathroom was spotless.
My only gripe is coming here and it was with breakfast. Holiday Inn Express offer a breakfast and I accept that at the price paid you shouldn't expect much but it's not unreasonable to expect what is advertised. For people who stay at HIE you know what the breakfast is but there was no butter, no croissants, no scrambled egg and no orange juice. A bit poor knowing the number of rooms and guests they are likely to have. Still, a good overnighter and good value for money. Would recommend especially for people using the showground. Well done on the really pleasant staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.
I am pleased to see that you found the room clean, and the staff friendly. Breakfast is an area on which we review on a regular basis.
Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Holiday Inn Expresses throughout the UK provide good value for money. I have included some reviews of these because there tend to be small differences.

Pros:
* Spacy rooms
* Toilet can be closed seperately from bathroom
* Good beds
* 24 hours reception
* All you can eat breakfast buffet
* Free wifi
* Good shower
* Coffee machine at breakfast also pust out a fairly decent espresso

Cons
* This evidently used to be a smoking room, the whole corridor probably was. Extensive use of artificial aerosol cleaner (the same disgusting type you sometimes find in rental cars) was used to cover this. Hopeless because the smell will stick forever!
* The toilet door leaves a small interstice, not so good for for the over-conscious toilet-goers
* The bathroom did not have an extraction system, so it tends to steam up

Of course after an hour or so you do not smell the smoke that much, but still a bit of a let down.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room that is and always has been a non-smoking room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NetherlandsHerb
Amanda C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Peterborough, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

I am sorry to see that even though your stay was good, it could of been better, regarding the smell of smoke in your room.
I'm Sorry about this and i will take action to try and reverse the faults that you have highlighted in your review.
I do Hope that we can once again welcome you back to the hotel in the future