“Great cosy pub with lovely food”
Review of Baskervilles Hotel

Baskervilles Hotel
and 1 more site!
Baskervilles Hotel
Ranked #12 of 34 Peterborough B&B and Inns
“Great cosy pub with lovely food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Didn't stay in the hotel. Regularly go for drinks and food. Great looking pub, with friendly and helpful staff. Serve a wide range of alcoholic and soft drinks. The food is fantastic and great value. Nice quiet place to take the gf or wife. Also caters for weddings too. Separate function room. Very popular :)

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
lincoln
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Have not stayed at the hotel but called in for lunch in pleasant dining room. Great pile of salad but was really surpised to be told by the waiting staff that they do not have any dressing for the salad, no balsamic, no oil & vinegar! How bizarre. Shame as salad does need a coating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
england
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Our 1st time to this lovely old quaint restaurant/ pub and we were met by friendly staff who were quick to find us our booked table of 4 .We had vouchers and were very happy to hear t he whole menu was available on them.
The staff were really lovely and very attentive.
We order starters and I was disappointed that the scotch egg was unavailable ,my hubby had soup which was tasty and our in- laws were also happy with what they had ordered .mains were disappointing for my hubby and me as we both ordered the Thai curry ,mine with prawns and his with chicken,the rice was not cooked enough and the curry sauce was like water,saying this our in- laws enjoyed there lamb shank.
Desserts were eaten and enjoyed but me having a sweet tooth would of enjoyed a lot more fudge sauce with my sticky toffee pudding but my hubbies choc fondant pud looked and tasted Devine ( wish I had that instead)
On the whole we all agreed that paying with the vouchers ( £10 pp) was the right price and would not pay full price for the quality of food
After talking to a client who had also been that night commented on the same things as us ,saying it wasn't as tasty as usual and they didn't have all of the menu ,then saying that the usual chef was off or had left,it would of been better management if they had told us before we sat down and gone through what was not available on the menu
On saying all this we would return again in hope the food would better standards but reluctant to pay full price in case it wasn't

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank granary40
Lincolnshire
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Baskervilles is within a few miles of our home so it is one of our favourite places to go to when we eat out or take friends out for a meal. We have never used the hotel accommodation so I can't give an opinion on the quality of the bedrooms.

The Sunday carveries are especially good with at least three types of meat to choose from and a good variety of nicely cooked fresh vegetables. Delicious starters and desserts are on offer, too. Do book beforehand because this restaurant, overlooking the pretty garden, is very popular.

My husband and I sometimes visit the other dining room at the front for an evening meal. The menu is varied and interesting, the food nicely cooked and the service is great. The bar area is rather dark but don't be put off by that.

We both, separately, are members of groups that meet monthly at The Baskervilles for lunch and a demonstartion or talk afterwards. Other members of these two groups enjoy the food and the general atmosphere in the large dining room/function room overlooking the garden.

There is parking for six to eight cars in front of The Baskervilles plus a much larger car park at the rear accessed through the arch.

I recommend a visit to The Baskervilles and so does my husband.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jilllovescricket
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

It's a mystery and you will need to take Sherlock with you. Why were the stairs all dark so you could not see properly? Why was there no hot water in the shower and the sink and why when it was reported at 9.50 pm had no-one come by 10.15? So, when I emptied my room on my own initiative to ask to be moved to a room with hot water who was the mysterious stranger I found in the corridor who was staying in another room and randomly announced I would have a discount in the morning and was obviously busy with a computer in the room that was vacated and then given to me? Then, what was the a strange noise sounding like a washing machine or car engine constantly revving in the night? And why when I ventured out at midnight from the new room to track the noise down was there a rope across the stairs stopping you going down them? And why in the morning did I find a notice saying there would be a £100 fine for crossing the rope? (probably because I did not have my glasses on at midnight to read it.)
Why refurbish the Hotel room to such a beautiful standard but put someone in there with no hot water after a long working day? And then completely ignore the person and buy them off with an envelope with a note in the next day? Why? You will need Sherlock Holmes to go with you because I could make no sense of any of it and only slept because I had ear plugs with me.
The Hound of The Baskervilles? No, it is some sort of loud electrical noise that I found very noisy and appeared to be the fridges in the bar. So take ear plugs if you have sensitive hearing- not to hear the dog that barked in the night but not to hear the fridge!
Why have such a beautiful setting, such beautiful rooms and lovely food and then ignore your Hotel customers and leave them to fend for them selves? As I said, it's a mystery!

Room Tip: Check you have hot water before unpacking. Check you cannot hear the fridges at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Hilary B

Travelers are raving about these Peterborough hotels

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Had lunch here this afternoon.
Its a lovely place. I can't speak for the rooms as we didn't stay of course but the restaurant and bar were attractive and comfortable and the garden is absolutely delightful.
The food was good - order the smoked salmon scotch egg if you get the chance, it was delicious :)
My chicken was overcooked, as was my partner's pork but the sauces that came with them were faultless. The accompanying potatos and veg left something to be desired but they weren't too bad, and the chips that came with my son's child's meal were wonderful :) This isn't fine dining but it is good grub and excellent value for money.
We only dealt with one member of staff, she was professional, courteous, friendly and efficient.
I really enjoyed our visit to this restaurant/bar/hotel and would certainly go again if only it were so far away :(
Recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed here as attending a wedding reception some miles away but travelled with friends living locally. The family room was cold, had an 'odour'. we couldnt go to sleep until the party underneath finished at 12:30 and then we had to listen to noisy pipes and someone rolling what sounded like barrels during the night. We all had hardly any sleep as a result.

Our room was also a corridor apprantly in the event of a fire evacuation. Something my partner felt very insecure about.

The breakfast was excellent however and having eaten here before the food is generally very good !

Nobody about when we left so just left keys without any goodbye.

I use Hotels a lot, and I'm afraid to say I wouldnt want to stay here again after our experience ;-(

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family