“Great hotel, great service, great value”
Review of Sibson Inn Hotel

Sibson Inn Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have looked at the previous recent reviews of this hotel, and to be honest I do not believe that that they are genuine, we stayed at the Sibson, on Saturday, 13th of July, we had 2 double rooms on a bed breakfast and evening meal deal at £99.99 per room.
The staff were great, really nothing was to much for them, the owner was not working over the weekend so I guess that if it was going to be less than perfect service then this would be the time, but that was not the case,
The building is old, I would guess 18th century and it has retained it's character it's not, Anything like a Travle lode or similar chains, it unique .
The food was good, I do think the outside table and bench sets should be replaced, that are really very poor, and the WI FI was not. The best, but that about all the negatives, Greg vist thanks,

And I just wonder if the poor recent reviews are perhaps form a competitor they seem to have some very similar threads, and are perhaps a touch personal

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Graham R

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We live further down the A1 and our son has been a student in York. We stopped here for lunch many years ago but .... what a change we found today.

The bar menu was amazingly pricey (I have never seen a ploughman's for £10.50 before!) and, overall, the cost of food and drinks was staggering. We ate in the bar and the table was so small that it was easier by far to have your plate on your lap.

No real ambience, despite the rustic exterior. Worth travelling further up/down the A1 and looking for somehere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PETRA001
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here with my husband and dog before the East of England Dog show. Lovely hotel, clean comfortable room and bathroom. We both had a lovely meal and a nice selection of drinks behind the bar. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank skiting
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We have travelled past this place for 4 years and have never stopped, even though it looked lovely. Today we stopped. Oh dear! I was a little worried when the car park was empty and it was 3pm on a nice day. I took our dog into the garden and my husband went inside to buy drinks and look at the menu. Despite being spotted by the man on reception, no-one came and asked if they could help, despite us being the only people in the bar, so we waited and waited, checking out the bar menu- it was pricey - £10.50 for Lasagne and chips. Shocking service, we left! We will not bother stopping again. They even advertise Tripadvisor outside!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank janeymooli
TheSibsonInn, Owner at Sibson Inn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hello
This is David I am the owner of the Sibson Inn. I am really sorry you didn't get served , I presume you came in on Monday afternoon. I imagine either Mark was on the phone or he just didn't see you, either way I am very sorry for what happened. We have been in business here for nearly 7 years and we have a loyal base of regulars , both travelers and hotel guests, most of the time we get it right but occasionally we get it wrong.
Hopefully you may like to give us a try next time you are passing
Regards
David

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lovely old character building I'd driven by a hundred times, decided to give it a try.

The specials board is what I usually go for as it implies freshness and something a little, well, special!

The whole bar needs a deep clean and the furniture taking outside and burning, the arm chairs are a health hazard on their own!

The food was utterly grim. God knows how many hours the greasy cottage pie had seen on the hot plate and the hog roast sandwich was factory processed fatty meat by the look of it in standard bread from a supermarket sliced loaf.

At least there's chips I thought, these were actually revolting, not a word I use very often. The oil must be have been extremely old to give a potato such an awful flavour.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank ms3646

Dear Reviewer

I've just been reading your review - not good I agree.
I believe you sat in the window on 2 brand new leather chairs.
Can you tell me if you stayed over ? I don't think you did but you've given us a score for sleep quality . I checked with my staff and by all accounts we reduced your bill as you were not happy. I don't know what was wrong with the cottage pies they are made to order but we do put cheese on top which can be a bit fatty on occasion. The pork is not a cheap cut , it is pork loin and we don't use cheap sliced bread, it is from our bakers but is sliced by them.

We make home made chips and sell lots of them , they are normally first class, so apologies if they were not up to scratch.
Sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit but we did try and compensate by giving you a discount
Sorry if that wasn't enough
David

Reviewed June 19, 2013

In need of a break and a snack we pulled in at the Sibson Inn Hotel because it is sited in a beautiful character building and also proudly displays its Trip Advisor banner.
On entering the bar the female member of staff was rude and unhelpful, obviously we were an imposition. I entered the ladies loo and the overpowering smell of damp nearly made me leave but needs must so I used the facilities. The whole area was filthy and smelly. What an embarrassment for any visitors to our country if they think that The Sibson Hotel is advertised as good quality.
We then had to ask to be served as no-one had bothered to see to us. My husband had to ask for his tea cup to be changed as it was filthy both inside and out. The overpriced food was stale and very poor quality. The scone had been microwaved and the tea cake defied description. What a disgrace especially when they have the nerve to charge nearly £10 for the disgusting, cheap, inedible products and total lack of service.
To be fair the coffee was a surprise as it was drinkable but the horror of finding that the milk jug was lined with yellow crust (stale fat from cream or milk) was nauseating. Unfortunately we had already had a cup of coffee before finding the crust. That jug had obviously not seen hot water in a very long time.
What an appalling use of a very beautiful building, it is used as a draw to unsuspecting travellers.
Keep you money, don't turn off and head further North to the American Diner a few miles away.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Barclay27122011
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Attracted by the No 1 Tripadvisor banner , we pulled in for lunch. Then seeing the high prices on the menu (£10.50 for lunch salad) we anticipated high quality food. Ploughmans lunch contained bland cheese , ham slice and 1 slice of bread cut into 4 pieces with some onions. Poor quality, bland and overpriced. There was a hole in the wall in the public toilet that was filled with toilet paper. Staff were helpful and pleasant. Would not wish to stay overnight.

• Stayed: June 2013