“New chef is great”

Jetty Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Somerset
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Jetty Restaurant is located at the Murchison Lodge Motel in Somerset, near Burnie. It is operated independantly of the motel however. The young chef does a marvellous job and by far it is the best place to go for a restaurant meal in the Burnie area.
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This restaurant has a new chef. The menu is extensive enough to provide for everyone and the food is really good. The servings are substantial. The desserts are also home made which is a really nice treat in this age of mass factory produced crud.The staff are a delight and when they are busy extra staff come from the motel to assist. I'm definitely returning and recommend as the best value place to dine in Burnie.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Happy hour for drinks was a nice surprise when we arrived but a little bit more attention to setting up would have made us feel more welcome (no salt & pepper on the tables). And we had booked ahead. Good space,not crowded, nice surroundings just a little bit tired. Menu choices had something for everyone. We waited too long for our food to arrive but it was definitely worth the wait. It was fantastic. Everyone who had the Seafood Chowder were very impressed. The steaks and the seafood.... wonderful. Compliments to the chef. The waitress, on her own was busy until someone came to help out. Maybe planning their staff levels may have made for a smoother night. Also have to comment that having the 'football' on the TV visible and audible in the dining room was distracting :(
Eating either at lunch time or during the longer Summer months would show the beautiful views of the river and parkland across the road.
I would recommend giving this place a try, we will be returning for another visit.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for some time. But no more. Unfortunately a change in chef has not been kind to this establishment. The pumpkin soup was full of chicken stock (msg or something).The squid entree (which used to be a favorite of mine) is now cooked in old oil and tasted of nothing but the old oil. My fish dish(trevalla from the standard menu) was salty and bitter...and worst of all...not fully cooked. My partners lamb rack was cooked in the microwave and the sauce...once again...was salty and obviously made using a commercial base or flavor enhancer. The accompanying fries had been cooked at leat twice if not 3 times....and "chewy". Thankfully I was not charged for my fish dish....however $130- later we will never eat here again. Thank goodness for the free biscuits in the motel room where I was staying. I noticed thru the kitchen door that the young chef was also doing the dishes. So I could see why the food quality was down. You can't be a chef and a dishwasher! There was also only one waitress on despite quite a few tables. She was also doing the bar as well. There has obviously been cut backs in this establishment....and unfortunately it is reflected in the food and the use of flavor enhancers, commercial stocks and bases. The television going monotonously over the bar is a "downer" on the atmosphere....as is the unused bain marie counter. Worst thing is....there is no where else in Burnie that I can recommend as an alternative.

2  Thank snail9