ThunderBomb Surf Camp
Marina Puesta del Sol(Aposentillo)
$219
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewsgreat wavessurf campbeach breaklobsterawesome staffplace is greatthese guyssan juan del surhorseback ridinghour drive from the airportdriving aroundnothing beatsmultiple timesrooms are basicdon juanamazing weekcentral america
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This place is epic. It packs a huge punch with epic waves, super chill people, and some of the best food you will eat. You will always have a smile on your face and monist important you will be STOKED

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carter W
Reviewed November 13, 2013

my experience in Thunderbomb was fantastic. My daughter (16) and i went to this surfcamp to really improve our surfing and get away from it all. thanks to the very profesional coaches we got (one coach each) we learned to fight our fears , we learned a lot about the sea, and we improved 100 %. it was really worth it: the atmosphere was friendly and we felt at home straight away.
As vegetarians we were treated like queens which made it all even better, we highly recommend the place, the waves, we loved thunderbomb.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandrine V
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I have just left Thunderbomb surf camp having had an awesome week of hardcore surfing, relaxing and fun times :-)
I was travelling South from El Salvador and looking for a cool surf spot to hang at, I contacted Jonathan (aka "Gallo Loco" - crazy rooster!) at very short notice and he replied immediately and was very friendly and glad to have me join the group. My bus was delayed and I got in really late to Chinandega and got the worst taxi ever who couldn't find the camp. Be wary of this, the camp is remote and hard to find down rough tracks so it is best to speak to Gallo about making arrangements with a driver who knows the way!
Once you are there the place is great, it is literally right on the beach front with a fun wave out front good for messing about or learning. The rooms are a good standard with nice beds and aircon and there is also a cool no-frills tiki loft if you want a cheaper option. There is a huge and beautiful Tiki hut at the front which is the hub of the camp where the group hung out during the day, it has a great bar and plenty of seating and nice big hammocks to chill in. All in all the venue is perfect for a surf camp, if you are not there to surf though bare in mind it is a very remote location so there is not alot else to keep you occupied, this place is definitely very much tailored to the keen surfer which was perfect for me.
Food was great and plentiful with Donald making a great mix of Western and Nicaraguan dishes, with all the exercise I would have lost lots of weight I it wasn't for the excellent refuelling!
The surf was truly awesome, even though the swell was only showing quite small all week (sub 2 foot) we actually got head high waves all week at "The Boom" (a good fast barrelling beach break) and an excellent boat trip to "Island Point" which was amazing, a really long and fun left point which goes for ever if you get the right wave, circa 1/4 mile rides are possible - well worth the long paddle back to the peak!
An awesome and unexpected addition to the camp was the in house professional photographer Calum who has full pro gear and waterproof housing and got some insanely good shots of the group while we were there, the type of shots you normally only see in magazines.
All in all it was an amazing week with a great group of like minded surfers - I had planned to stay 2-3 days and stayed 7 which says it all!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank Eddisalegend
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thanks to the lovely ThunderBomb Team I had a fantastic holiday !!
I was traveling by myself but felt very safe and relaxed there,
got some really nice, empty waves + ate delicious, healthy food.
They are serving yummy coffee, fresh fruit juices and Nicalibres + even better Mojitos !!
Great place to surf all day and chill in the Hammocks !
did not want to leave

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was a lovely spot, with great waves and the rooms and we enjoyed the company of the local staff who were friendly and down to earth.
They havent quite got the recipe down to a T yet...with prices seeming a little steep for what you get. Hungry surfers may find themselves waiting a while for the next meal. No snacks were available when we were there and the owner tried to charge us $5 for a broken glass which we thought was unreasonable given the cost of the stay.
Great progress was made in the crowd free beachie right out front however, and it was a relaxing place overall.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple