“Surfers Hangout close to the beach”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aposentillo
Chancletas Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Aposentillo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stopped in to Chancletas after a crazy stressful day driving through both honduran border crossings and needed to crash. Pulled in late and didn't have reservations but they had a few beds available in the dorm and said we could stay.

The swell wasn't great, but we were way more focused on chilling and refreshing (hiding from the sun) before moving on to the next stop south.

Beer (tona) was WAY cold and refreshing for $1.50US. Food was just okay but the crowd here was great. Surfers from many different places relaxing under the main palapa and playing frisbee on the lawn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place was a great way to begin our trip in Nica. We stayed in the private room on the upper floor with the most amazing view of the ocean. Balcony was perfect for an am yoga session, evening cocktail and scouting waves. For Nica, it was luxurious. Sheets were clean, bed really comfy and bathroom nice and clean too. Room service each day was a treat and staff were nice. You could tell a lot of thought went into the design of the place. I.e. you could open the windows at night for a great breeze which isn't available in a lot of places. I would say if the room was $10 less I would have given it a 5 star rating as I thought it was just a little on the high side.
Restaurant was pretty good, a little pricy but still tasty. Dinner specials were nice.
They have an amazing taxi guy (Alvero) who picked us up from the airport. He was awesome! Really friendly, great conversation and helpful tips on travelling in Nica. We ended up using him again for another ride because he was so friendly.

Room Tip: If you stay in the private rooms ask for the upper level for the best views!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went with a group of guys from the surf shop where I work... We had a blast! Great people, great food, heavy surf... all around good trip. The owners and employees took great care of us. We split an A/C room, it was well worth it, and a pretty good value as well... I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
HotelChancletas1, Owner at Chancletas Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thanks so much !!
hope you can make it back again :)
Hotel Chancletas

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had the time of my life here!!!! Just got back to California and wish I was still there!!! The lifestyle and good Vibrations and perfect surf was more then i could ever ask for,cant wait to go back!!! Everything was perfect and relaxing and sooooo fun!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tony s
Reviewed August 25, 2012

After an amazing surf session at the beach break in front, there is no better place to relax, sleep, eat and drink than Chancletas!
The place is so green, grass perfectly cut, small trees and always looking at the waves, the location is perfect!
As a nicaraguan, I particularly didn't like the Desayuno Nica and I think they can improve a little in the kitchen... but besides that, Chancletas is a great choice!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SurferNica
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I rated Hotel Chancletas a 3 out of 5 in comparison to other similar Nicaraguan Oceanside hotels/surf camps in the under $100 night price range. Chancletas is located 3 hours drive from the Managua Airport along the Northern Pacific Coast in Playa Aserradores. The hotel has 3 different lodging options to select from: dorm, fan room and luxury room. I did not stay in the luxury room so my rating is based on the dorm and the fan room of which neither had a bathroom. Here’s my review:
Communications: Exceptional. For this stay and previous inquiries I consistently received timely replies to all my inquiries.
Airport Transportation: Very well coordinated. The drivers Chancletas coordinates with know the flights, drive safely, are always on time for pickup at airport and return, courteous, helpful.
Arrival: I arrived at 4am and was greeted by the Night Guard who was prepared for my arrival, knew my name and where I was to sleep.
Rooms & Security: The DORM was $10 night. No air conditioning, no bathroom. Included in the price of the dorm is a 1’ X 1’ cubby hole with key to lock your valuables. Although there was a bed reserved for me when I arrived, I couldn’t figure out which one I was supposed to sleep in. It was dark; stumbling in on a bunch of other guys at 4am was understandably met with hostility. Later I learned the available bunk was one of the upper bunks, about 7 foot high, so you can’t see if someone is in it or not, especially at 4am in the dark. At any rate I blew off trying to sleep in the dorm (still had to pay the $10) and went surfing instead (sun rises around 5am in July in Nica). If you do stay in the dorm and get my upper bunk, watch your head as you climb up (you are level with the ceiling fan). After another night, the FAN ROOM ($35) became available. The Fan Rooms have 3 single beds, no air conditioning, no bathroom. There is a lock box for security. You either bring your own lock or buy a lock at the front desk. My room had a screened window at the rear and a screened door in the front for airflow (a nice design idea not found in too many other places). Both fan and dorm rooms are cleaned daily.
Bathroom: Unless you are in one of the luxury rooms, there are two bathrooms on the grounds, each with one toilet and one shower. Additionally, there are a couple of non-private, open air outdoor showers scattered around the property. Like everywhere in Central America, toilet paper goes in wastepaper basket strategically located next to the toilet. Bathrooms were functional, cleaned daily. Bring shower shoes and be flexible with your constitutional habits and timing.
Grounds: This is where I’d give the Chancletas a 5 out of 5. My favorite spot was the thatched hammock shelter, located in a breezy location with an ocean view. It’s where I wound up sleeping my first day. The grounds are meticulously maintained by a grounds crew, grass was green, well cut, palm trees, and an ocean view from most locations. Stepping stone paths are carved around the buildings.
Bar/Dining: Chancletas has a very cool, thatched dining and bar area. Good variety of food. They even had real hamburgers which is a treat given the remoteness of their location. Food, beer, rum are all very reasonably priced. Food is prepared well and tastes good.
Staff: What impressed me the most was there was always someone on duty that spoke a varying degree of English. The staff is honest, neither I nor any of the other guests had any issues with accuracy of the running food/bar/room tabs at checkout. The staff coordinated my return transportation without a hitch.
Surf & Beach: About a 100 yard walk from the hotel, the beach is a very beautiful all-sand delight. No rocks in the water! Great for swimming. I definitely cannot say that about all Nica beaches. For long board surfers, I don’t recommend it. The wave is much better suited for short boarders. It tended to closeout, so everyone had to be selective. Not too crowded (there are only one or two other place to stay in the area). The vibe in the lineup was mellow. The best break is the “Boom”, in front of the Chancletas; I saw a higher than average number of short boarders get barreled in it. About 150 yards or so further North the wave softens a little; it’s sort-of longboardable if you can find a shoulder that does not closeout. To the South there is a World Class break known as the “Point”, accessible via a short $35 boat ride.
Summary: The owners, Shay & Loretta O’Brien have a dedicated following of Guests, several who have been staying with them for more than ten years, back when it was little more than a camping site. The prices are very reasonable, the vibe is mellow, and the operation as a whole is well coordinated and organized. I enjoyed my stay and would come again.

Room Tip: If you are arriving at 3 or 4 am and plan to stay in the dorm, go sleep in their hammock instead and...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank HowlerTom
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Wow!
Of the few full service hotels available in the northern part of Nicaragua, this one is a Jem!
The location, with some research, allows you to feel like you've discovered something no one else has. However, the amenities, friendly staff, inviting open air restaurant and incredibly comfortable accommodations quickly reassure you that you are not gambling with precious vacation time. Outstanding beach, outstanding privacy and outstanding energy. My wife and I embarked on a whim to visit the location based on word of mouth reviews and glimmering recollections. Not being surfers ourselves we had some reservations, however the atmosphere was that of family, friends and strangers alike. Family owned and operated with local Nica's providing extraordinary service, especially for being somewhat off the beaten path (although that is changing quickly with the improved roads and infrastructure in the area). Two thumbs up from a couple Canadians who can appreciate creature comforts at extremely affordable prices. From dormitories to private rooms with personal bathrooms offering air conditioning and organized activities including horseback riding on long beaches, kayaking river inlets and bicycles to roam the surrounding area, Hotel Chancletas clearly enjoys having guests.

Thank you Shay, Loretta & girls, and of course Ruben!
Aaron & Lindsay from Alberta, Canada

Room Tip: Decide on either A/c or Dorm, its available!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aaron H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aposentillo
21 mi away
3 mi away
Coco Loco Eco Resort
Coco Loco Eco Resort
#1 of 6 in El Viejo

Been to Chancletas Beach Resort? Share your experiences!