“rooms let this down”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ruislip
Belfast, United Kingdom
“rooms let this down”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

good hotel staff, bedrooms were tired and cold and extremely noisy when water pump decideds to rumble LOUDLY, breakfast was very expensive, great bar staff , but cheff didnt like to cook meat rare, mainly for business people,

Room Tip: pay extra for better rooms if you want a good sleep,
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick M, General Manager at The Barn Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
The hotel has a variety of bedrooms from luxury suites to standard rooms and these are obviously charged accordingly. I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with the room you were allocated but an upgrade may have been available for a small extra charge. I do not understand the comment regarding breakfast as it is included in all our rates. Some internet rates are for Continental Breakfast but this can be upgraded at the hotel to full English for a payment of £5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Carlisle, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I'm only rating 1 star since it did have wireless internet that did work and the room was clean.

When I checked into my room it was very cold. I didn't know how to put it on from the radiator. I called the front desk and she didn't know but offered to send someone. Within minutes someone arrived.

I returned to the room 9 hours later to find it barely any warmer. I called the front desk again. Again they sent someone. The man confirmed the radiators were hot and thought the room was warm. I'm literally typing this from under the covers right now. He asked me if I was from the State and when I said yes he chuckled and said that explains it. I told him I have traveled to the UK and never had a problem. I finally had him touch the tub, which is freezing and he agreed. Told me there's nothing he can do.

I'm here with a work party so I can't change. Telling everyone I know not to stay here. Heat is not a modern amenity. It's a requirement when it's 2 degrees C out! Unacceptable.

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Avoid.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jennifer D
Patrick M, General Manager at The Barn Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I am sorry that this guest did not enjoy the stay with us but as stated in the review the radiators in both the bedroom and bathroom were on high. A supplementary heater was offered but this was declined and I feel that we have done all that we reasonably could to give good service

Travelers are raving about these Ruislip hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The Barn hotel is very close to the subway, and at walking distance from several nice restaurants. The size of the rooms varies from ballroom size to closet size, but once you are inside, you always have everything you need. The bread selection of the continental breakfast is quite restricted.

• Stayed March 2013
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We payed £60 a night per room and had two rooms, both rooms very small with very small bathrooms but you have everything you need in the room. The rooms are kept very clean and the staff where friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Deans Lodge at The Barn Hotel is the perfect place to stay. The suites are large and modern with a seperate lounge and office area with wifi. The bedroom area had a huge comfortable bed and the spacious bathroom had all mod cons and plasma TV. The bar food was good as well as reasonably priced and the inclusive full english breakfast is a must. The Barn is a good balance of the old and traditional mixed with the new and modern and is in walking distance to the train line. It is also well situated on a local high street with good places to eat and drink. As a business guest I am often upgraded by Catherine and her team which is greatly appreciated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I was delighte dto learn that you enjoyed your stay with us again. We have many senior business travellers such as yourself staying with nus and we upgrade our regular guests whenever possible. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near furture
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Well, what can I say - I've stayed at hundreds of hotels, including the Barn on one occasion previously and it is now truly a lovely place to stay.

The room was comfortable, and appeared recently refurbished - I remember the last time I stayed, I had one of those horrible rooms with the bathroom in a cupboard. This room was a massive improvement - lovely bathroom, powerful shower, good quality soaps and amenities and free wifi. 10/10 for the room itself.

Ample parking was much appreciated, and yet another welcome freebie.

The one gripe I had was that bar food was not available at 10.15pm - I had been working late and expected to at least have some chips, but instead I was greeted and told that I could only have a ham sandwich with some crisps. Fine, but rather rubbish, and expensive too - I could have bought a loaf of bread and the ingredients for a lower price and made the same thing myself.

Breakfast was nice, but took 25 minutes to arrive - again, fine if you are having a leisurely wedding breakfast but as I was on business, I had to wolf down my meal and leave half of it on the plate.

All in all though, I was not looking forward to going back after the last experience with the tiny dated room - but I would book the Barn again now in a heartbeat. Well done for the improvements.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and we have taken on board your comments about late bar food. Whilst bar food service does stop at 10.00pm we are keeping a chef on for an extra half hour when the hotel is busy. I apologise that we did not handle this better when you stayed with us but hope to be able to redeem ourselves on your next stay
PINNER, MIDDLESEX
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My cousin and her husband came from Scotland for a visit and stayed at the Barn over the weekend. I telephoned in advance to upgrade them as I thought that I would like to spoil them a bit. When we arrived we were told that they had been upgraded again to a suite, without any extra cost, which we were all very happy about. When we got to their rooms I was actually ‘shocked’ this suite was better than I had stayed in most hotels and I have travelled to many countries and stayed in top class hotels. When you enter the rooms there is a sitting area with a wide screen TV and a lovely leather sofa, surrounded by coffee tables and low units. Then on to the bedroom with a huge bed draped in luxurious bed linen and quilts and the bathroom is something else, with the jacuzzi bath, the double shower and double sinks, I was amazed. I had heard good and bad reports about the Barn, but if anyone else were to ask me then I would definitely tell them to go for it and try and upgrade if you can.
We had arranged afternoon tea for all the family to get together and this was set up exclusively in the Cromwell room, which was ideal as we had young children that we could contain into this one space, which was great. The tea itself was enjoyable with plenty of sandwiches and the most delightful scones and clotted cream, with little fresh cream cakes as well. The staff to, were also very friendly and more than capable of doing their job to a very high standard.
Overall I would say that the Barn Hotel is a worthwhile stay with a very pleasant reception area, with an open fire and comfortable couches in the lounge area. A very good experience overall.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to the new suites or executive rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IR2HELPU
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to learn that you had enjoyed your stay and the Afternoon Teas. These remain very popular and it is nice to see the lounge so full with people enjoying their Afternoon Teas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruislip
Ramada London South Ruislip
Best Western Plus Grim's Dyke Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 5 in Uxbridge
Premier Inn Uxbridge Hotel
Travelodge Uxbridge Central
Premier by Eurotraveller Hotel, Harrow

Been to The Barn Hotel? Share your experiences!