“Over priced for what it is”
Review of The Barn Hotel

The Barn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ruislip
“Over priced for what it is”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed recently on business. I was in the Deanes Lodge portion. On first glance, all looks well. After being there a couple days the faults come through. The shower, while medium sized is constructed so the door opens inward, which is just plain silly. While in the shower there are side nozzles which you cant escape from. the lighting in the bathroom is terrible making shaving interesting every day. Huge jacuzzi tub is VERY nice. Down side was that the plug did not full open so I needed to use nail clippers to ensure tub drained. Also when I used the jets, some weird brown flaky substance came out. TV in bathroom did not work, even though I followed instructions left in room. I also told front desk about TV and drain.....and altho0ugh the lady at the front desk took room number down, nothing was rectified.

Actual room is VERY nice....very large and cozy. Bed was fabulous.

Food: "free" English breakfast was terrible. Literally nothing good about it except the coffee. The continental was not better, very slip pickings and what there was, was of low quality. Cheese and buns dried out and so on. Staff is VERY attentive though.

Had numerous meals from "the bar"...they were all pretty good. Beer is also godo and bartenders are also very good.

Checking in and out was fine. No fitness room....it is 2013...cmon. No guest umbrellas.....wierd in a city that rains a lot.

All in all it wasnt too bad of a stay, but for £145 a night it should have been a lot better. I wont go back jsut becasue of pricing....business or not. Premier Inn has MUCH better food.

Room Tip: Save money and go to Premier Inn down the road.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Patrick M, General Manager at The Barn Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I was sorry to learn that you did not fully enjoy yourr stay at the hotel. The luxury Deane's Lodge rooms have proved very popular since they first opened and run at a very high repeat occupancy. The rates for these rooms are very competitive for the area and our standard rooms are competitive even with the Premier. I hope you will stay with us again so that we can redeem ourselves in your eyes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Management & general staff unhelpful apart from morning checkout staff. Completely unaccommodating when checking in late after a very long day. No food available despite arriving 10mins after last food orders & with other guests only just receiving their food after a 1hr 30mins wait. Hotel appears to think it's too posh to stock bar snacks, believe me it really isn't!!!
Hotel, clean but dated. Rooms tiny, showers dribble rather than work properly.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ALondoner2
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The bar was much busier that we anticipated for bar meals on the night in question and there were some delays. Fortunately we get it right more times than we get it wrong but on this occasion we did not give the levels of service our guests have come to expect. Sorry!!

Travelers are raving about these Ruislip hotels

Bath
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am sitting on the stairs so that I can use the internet. Despite repeated trips to reception where I am told by one surly receptionist that there is no problem with the internet while another rather sheepishly admits there is, the hotel is unable to provide the service they claim. This, after being allocated a room where it was not possible to adjust the sauna-esque heating. Once again some staff seemed fully aware of the problem so avoided eye contact while one of their colleagues wanted to bluff their way through all the wonderful adjustments it would be possible to make for one's comfort. Sadly not.
Believe all you read here of thin walls, gloomy corridors and dismissive staff. I was fortunate to have the railway for company, and the efficiency with which the maintenance department had cleared the guttering meant that the rumble of the trains was punctuated throughout the night by the incessant drip of inadequate drainage. Fortunately I had moved from the sauna-esque room by then so I was able to close the windows without fear of slowly basting in my bed.
Oh and apparently, porridge is quite the most challenging dish to prepare well at 8:00am in the morning - not challenging at all if, like representatives from the kitchen, you think it should be boiled to a fine wallpaper paste.... perhaps this would have been useful soundproofing for my splendid room?

Room Tip: Look for alternatives...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mrs_grumpy_j
The thermostatic valve had been damaged in th eoriginal room allocated which meant that the temperature could not be regulated. Another room was allocated when this was brought to our attention and the thermostat in this room worked. I am unsure what the problem was with the wifi as it would either work in the whole block or nowhere in the block. I am aware that the firewall on some laptops will not allow thwm to connect to open circuits such as ours.
Reading
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights in Jan with my sister in a twin room. I was having an operation locally and had been recommended to stay here although I was unsure as the reviews were a bit mixed. I'd looked at the Premier Inn but it was full and a bit more expensive so I booked Barn Hotel.

The hotel was easy to find with good parking although it was snowing and the hotel wasn't busy.

The reception had our booking and were polite and helpful.

Our room was better than expected. It was located in the outside block which resembled a chalet style with rooms upstairs and downstairs. We had an end room located by the entrance of the upstairs section which was annoying as we could hear people going up and down and also in the room above. However, the beds were very comfortable, the room and bathroom was spacious. There were ample toiletries in the bathroom and a towel heater and hair dryer, three things which were good to have. Also, there were plenty of milks for tea and coffee. It always irritates me when hotels ration the tea, coffee, and milks. There were about 12 milks including cream, full and half fat. There were also biscuits which were a nice touch, things I wasn't expecting which was nice. The TV worked fine and had good reception. The room was warm. I was under the impression there was free wifi but it was chargeable but I never used it.

I didn't eat the breakfast due to having my operation that morning but my sister did and she was happy with it. It was a free breakfast which was continental NOT full English which wasn't clear and other guests have noted this too. It wasn't a problem as my sister filled up on toast, jam, cheese, ham etc plus a pot of tea. She did say they needed to replenish the breakfast as it was slightly sparse although she did go down towards the end of the breakfast sitting. The English breakfast was an additional £5.50.

The main building was nice with an open fire. We didn't use the restaurant or bar for dinner but the menu looked ok but a little pricey considering there are restaurants nearby.

The room was cleaned and replenished for our second day which was good. There was always someone at reception which was also good.

We checked out and a few hours later I realised I'd left both my phone chargers in the room. One was found but the other was not which was annoying as they'd both been there side by side four hours earlier. However, it was solved quickly as there was a spare charger in the lost property section so I was really happy with the way the staff bothered to solve the problem.

Overall I was happy with my stay and so was my sister and I would stay here again if I need to be in Ruislip again. Great value for money and exceeded expectations.

• Stayed January 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The reception area looks beautiful. The lady at the desk was polite and had a very smart appearance. The grounds are lovely. At first glance, the room was also very nice. The bed was comfortable enough and there were plenty of towels and pillows.

The shower had far too little pressure. So little that the mixer switch kept falling back down to cause the water to come out the tap, not the shower head. This meant showering took far longer than usual and we missed our breakfast.

When I mentioned this to the receptionist when checking out she was quite dismissive. She offered to get the chef to "find something" for us, but as we were already running late we declined. She then answer the phone while we were standing at the desk and during a pause in the conversation whispered to us that "The payment's been taken, that was all."

Disappointing service. Would not return.

Room Tip: Room 60 has a useless shower!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wrea Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and i stayed at the hotel christmas week (not over christmas period) we only booked in for one night as we were going to a party at the Premier Inn who to be honest could not accomodate us over this period. On arrival at the hotel the staff were courteous and polite, they informed us that there were other rooms available and that we would be upgraded at no additional expence. The room we were taken to was what can only be described as a luxurious suit, the bed was not quiet a 4 poster but was huge and was draped in luxurious silk/satin linen. We had a drinks cabinet, plus all the normal extrax you would expect, plasma TV in all rooms including the bathroom. We decided to have a spot of lunch and a few drinks before heading out to the party, the beer was slightly dearer than the average public house by about 40p per pint, so cost about £3:40, definately will not break the bank, wine was about £5 for a large glass and the meal about £12 per head which was very much okay. The surroundings in the hotel are very olde world with brash open front fire places blazing away, all the lobby dining areas all had timber wall and ceiling finishes and lovely timber furnishings with plush carpeting.It was time to head out to the yearly family party get together at the premier Inn, to cut a long story short the hotel did not compair, our family were not that impressed, a cheaper hotel by all means so you get what you paid for. The next morning we went to the dining room where we also had a complementry breakfast, as much cereal, toast and fruit juice tea and coffee etc, followed by the largest tastiest grilled breakfast i had eaten in years, this is normally about £16 per head and i must admit although a bit expensive it was wonderful to say the least. I would recommend the hotel to anyone, in fact i will definately stay here again, maybe i was a bit lucky with the room upgrade and the free breakfast, but the best way i can describe the settings is quaint, luxurious, with periodic furnishings all for £89 in total, plus Bob Hope used to stay here when he played golf in England or close to this area, if it was good enough for him its good enough for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank alan t
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The reception and lounge area was lovely, however our room was TERRIBLE!!! The TINY bathroom was behind a cupboard door!! Dirty, Dated, and Vile!!! The carpet was stained and old! And I cut my toe on the carpet gripper! The breakfast was WELL over priced, and there were no bowls for the cereal. The drinks were ok priced in the bar.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruislip
Ramada London South Ruislip
Travelodge Uxbridge Central
Hilton London Wembley
Hilton London Wembley
#3 of 12 in Wembley

Been to The Barn Hotel? Share your experiences!