“Outstanding in every way”
Review of Hawtrey's

Hawtrey's
Ranked #18 of 105 Restaurants in Ruislip
Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Hawtreys Restaurant has been awarded two rosettes for the quality of food for the last 9 consecutive years, our Restaurant is open to non residents as well as residents of the Barn Hotel. We hope you will take the opportunity to experience our food and ambience when looking for an exquisite dining experience.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The lunchtime 'grazing' menu is a great innovation! The meals are somewhere between a starter and a main in terms of size and two, plus a pud, will leave you feeling pleasantly full but not overfed.

Service excellent, presentation gorgeous (try the truffled scrambled quail eggs) and flavours just wonderful.

Really can't understand the negative reviews - hope those concerned give this first rate restaurant another chance.

2  Thank JLWreview

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Simply would not expect to find a restaurant of such high calibre in such a location. Food presentation fantastic and delicious. Reasonable value for the experience.

2  Thank Sam1968876
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Parking is good. Easy to find and convenient as it's also next to a railway station. You enter through the old beamed historic area. the restaurant is in an extension. But the best part is the food. Everything tastes stunning and is colourful and beautifully presented with lots of flavours in each dish. And little surprising bites of this and that keep appearing between courses. If you have not indulged in alcohol nor coffee the final bill is hardly more than a steakhouse. Great value for gourmet food.

4  Thank Angella787
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a Sunday lunch for 7 people at £38 per head without wine or service. Took well over 2 hours to serve lukewarm food that could well have been prepared by Bird's Eye in a boil in a bag. The staff are clueless, and no amount of pleading for some proper attention achieved any kind of appropriate response.
I complained to the manager of the hotel ,who to be fair, reduced the bill and apologised. We have a lunch booked for 48 people next month for a 90th birthday, so I hope they have got things together by then. I am feeling very nervous because I cannot remember ever having had such an appalling experience at Sunday lunch. It should be so easy, why can't they set the bar higher.
Big thumbs down, Don't go there unless you have no taste or are desperate.

5  Thank Neildavidson
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have had the pleasure of dining at Hawtrey's a number of times in recent years and it has yet to disappoint. I have been as part of a fairly large party, as a couple and as a small family group. On this occasion it was the latter. As on previous visits, the decor, the atmosphere, the quality of service and the superb food combined to make this a real dining experience, something we do not have the opportunity to do that often.

The service was largely impeccable, the tables are immaculate, with everything spotless and polished - as it should be of course, and the food superbly presented. We opted for the Gastronomic menu, which promises pretty reasonable value with 3 courses for £25. The reality is not quite so impressive, with four of the six mains on offer carrying fairly hefty supplements - this seems a little naughty to me, as does the way in which we were presented with fairly pricey bottled water.

This is not an experience to be rushed and the meal as detailed elsewhere is much more than a simple three courses. Intriguing canapés (quails eggs and the like are not normally my thing), a range of delicious breads and speciality butters and a delightful amuse bouche of goat's cheese and mushroom velouté all beautifully presented and delivered with some grace. My actual starter, mackerel three ways - including a velouté (where would they be without that word on their menu? - there are times when I feel the menu is a little up itself). That said, it was all very nice, as were my companion's starters. For my main, on principal I avoided anything with a supplement and enjoyed the 'slow cooked belly of pork'. For me, this was perfectly sized and nicely cooked, with lovely tender meat. The potential quibble here would concern the crackling, which was rather soft. Personally, even had it been crispy it is something I would have avoided eating.

A delightfully light and cleansing lemon sorbet preceded my delicious desert, a so called 'caramel delight' - which consisted of a light creme caramel, a caramel flavoured ice cream and the obligatory fancy spun sugar. It is fair to say that portion sizes are not massive, but overall I feel they are about right. The length of the meal and the delivery of courses ensure that you leave pleasantly full rather than feeling uncomfortably and obscenely stuffed.

Overall a superb dining experience, again I feel it is a little naughty that the service charge should be included in the bill, while I am not averse to tipping good service (and it was), I would prefer to do so by choice. The children's menu might benefit from some work - oscillating between lazy chicken nuggets and a more bizarre shrimp dish. Rather strangely my daughter had a chicken nuggets and chips 'starter', followed by a steak, mash and vegetables main!

3  Thank Glenn B