“Fantastic food in a wonderful setting”
Review of The Pony & Trap

The Pony & Trap
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Chew Magna
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Clevedon, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food in a wonderful setting”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

One of our close friends chose this restaurant to celebrate her 65th birthday.

There were 16 of us and we were served very efficiently. Indeed, the staff handled all the orders (and changed orders!) with equal calmness!

The food was outstanding - so much so that we all discussed where had we had "the best meal of our lives" and it was hard to think past what we had just enjoyed at The Pony and Trap that evening.

Both my wife and I had duck which was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. All the vegetables were very tasty too.

On our way home to Clevedon, we thought that the trip - although slightly difficult in terms of winding roads, etc. - was well worth the effort and we shall return again before too long.

This restaurant has a great, and well deserved, reputation which makes it a place to visit if you want a truly fabulous gastronomic adventure!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank DougieFowler

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Service”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I have been to The Pony & Trap a few times, and it is my real guilty pleasure for a Sunday lunch! Josh's food is always tasty and well presented, more than adequate portions, great flavours from great produce! It has a Michelin Star for the food but not the pomp that can come with it!

Well done to Josh and the whole team!!

• Visited December 2013
weston super mare
“very nice and welcomming”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

good food, expertly done, what more could you ask for from a great british menu chef who is top of his game, wine pricy though, which makes it for us a special occasion venue

Visited July 2013
Bristol
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is one of my favourite venues, after first tasting their food when they catered for a friend's wedding. My wife booked for 5 people with an added high chair, she then rang back and booked for 9. This was then changed again as one couple unfortunately had to cancel . So we settled on 7 and a high chair. The Pony and Trap were accommodating every time we rang and changed our requirements. The food has always been excellent and memorable on every visit. On one visit I was given a red wine tasting to ensure the wine suited the meal. I'm no wine connoisseur, but it was a nice touch that made me feel important and welcome. We hopefully will return soon.

• Visited December 2013
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“Poor attitude”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I am an avid Trip Advisor fan but don't often post myself, however I feel that my recent experience is worthy of a post. We are a scattered family and to celebrate my mother in laws forth coming 80th i thought it would be nice to have a real treat and meet at this highly praised establishment.
In early February my husband contacted them and asked if it was possible to book a party of 11 for lunch this Saturday 15th March. He had to give a deposit, not something I had come across before but no problem and was promised a e mailed menu on 1st March as the menu changed on that date and we had to pre book our choices. This is not easy when people were coming from 4 different parts of the uk and not all internet savvy but as the birthday girl loved the menu we felt it could be sorted somehow. I was very surprised by this, it takes away the surprise and pleasure when you open the menu to see whats on offer visiting somewhere for the first time. Knowing what you are going to eat before hand speaks of pre booked Christmas dinners I used to have when I worked in an office, great fun but mediocre food.
On March 4th when the promised e mail new menu had not arrived and time to pre book choices was ticking by, he telephoned again, now numbers had gone up to 16 which was lovely for our family. Imagine his surprise to be told that they could not COPE with that number not even with pre booked food choices. This left us with no choice but to cancel and ask for the said deposit back. There was not even an apology only the attitude that we are busy enough and don't really need your custom. This has nowleft us with less than two weeks to start from scratch even though we thought it was organised and booked 7 weeks prior to the date.
I am myself in the catering business and if I treated my customers with such indifference then I would not have same business, To be told you cant cope with 16 guests who have already chosen their meal in a highly rated establishment is unbelievable in this day and age, I can only
imagine that success has created this attitude to clients possible. you are, in the hospitality trade for heavens sake !!! Good reputations in this field take a long time to achieve and can be lost very quickly.
My rating of terrible however, is only on my experience before I have even crossed the threshold, sadly I will never be able to rate the food, service or ambiance as my money is too hard earned to waste when it proved so hard to even get to the pre dinner drink stage.!

Visited March 2014