“Great food. Great ambience.”

The Barn Cafe Bistro
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Burniston
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Barn, a unique dining venue near Scarborough, on Yorkshires beautiful heritage coast.The traditional farm building was lovingly converted in 2008, and now houses a fully licensed cafe restaurant serving an exciting bistro menu.The cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and supper, and our fantastic, traditional Sunday lunch is renowned locally. Delicious cakes and home baking are served all day, along with a selection of speciality teas and cappuccino coffees.Our cosy log burner and friendly staff will make sure you have a warm welcome, or make the most of summer and sit outside, in our beautiful courtyard seating area.
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

A surprise early evening birthday treat and what a treat. Friendly and welcoming staff. Hot, well cooked and very tasty food. Set 3 course menu for £20 which had limited choices but covered all tastes.probably the best modules marinieres I've ever tasted and whilst my wife had the better choice of mains (Bangladesh Beef Curry) my steak burger was also excellent. Great food. Great staff. Great service. Did not disappoint.

There are newer reviews for The Barn Cafe Bistro

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Today we got a raw deal at Hares Leap. Our special homemade feta burger was insufficiently cooked, and looked pink at best, or completely raw in the middle. Ask for it to be cooked a bit more, it came back hardly any different. Told it was cooked temperature, but just looks undercooked. In the end, did not feel safe to eat and left it almost entirely. No apology or customer concern simply took our money without a bye or leave.

It's a shame. Been here many times, but on this occasions, felt cheated, paid for something that was in our view inedible.

Maybe a while before we risk it again.

2  Thank steve b
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

As it is number 1 on this site for the Scarborough area I had high hopes when I visited with my girlfriend, we've been to most of the 'farm shop cafe' places around Scarborough and always enjoyed a hearty home cooked meal, while the setting and decor are very nice the choice in the 'farm shop' is woeful and even the menu a tad disappointing - the lack of any sausages, black pudding etc isn't really in keeping with what a good farmhouse should be.
If it hadn't been so quiet when we visited we probably would have left and gone elsewhere for a hearty breakfast, I opted for bacon and eggs on toast and my partner had a bacon sandwich, no option on bread!! So had to have white.
Overall a lovely decorated but disappointing place food wise.... cedar barn it is not.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We have had several evening meals at the Hare's Leap and every one has been wonderful. We've celebrated 40th wedding anniversaries,
birthdays and lots of indulgences. Lunches and morning coffee and afternoon teas have been just as good. ALWAYS met with a friendly smile and welcome. The staff are very efficient and accommodating. We've taken our American friends who really enjoyed it too. We hope it goes on from strength to strength.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We called at Hares Leap expecting a decent-sized farm shop full of meat, fresh food etc, what a disappointment. There was a basket of bread & eggs & a stack of trays with a little fruit & veg, Their advert mentions ham, cured meats & pork pies together with a cheese counter. WHERE? We'd had trouble finding the cafe, several "locals" mis-directed us so we were hungry when we finally got there. My partner fared better than I did, he went for the fish, chips & mushy peas which he had no complaints with. I chose the deli platter which consisted of 2 rolled up pieces of meat & 1 of smoked salmon-not too bad. There was some lovely crusty bread, a jar of shredded beetroot which i think was the pickle & a small bowl of salad which was 70% lentils. There was also a small cup of something green which wasn't mentioned on the menu so i asked & it was soup but there was no spoon & no butter for the bread. I honestly can't see why others have raved about this place, The shelves on the walls appeared half empty, the one close to us had bottles of beer on & the one opposite had a few pots of jam & honey. Sorry but we didn't go to look at the decor, I was hoping to buy meat & cheese. To call this a farm shop is laughable, certainly shan't bother again.