“Fair's fair” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Barn Cafe Bistro

The Barn Cafe Bistro
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Burniston
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to The Barn, a unique dining venue near Scarborough, on Yorkshires beautiful heritage coast.The traditional farm building was lovingly converted in 2008, and now houses a fully licensed cafe restaurant serving an exciting bistro menu.The cafe is open for breakfast, lunch and supper, and our fantastic, traditional Sunday lunch is renowned locally. Delicious cakes and home baking are served all day, along with a selection of speciality teas and cappuccino coffees.Our cosy log burner and friendly staff will make sure you have a warm welcome, or make the most of summer and sit outside, in our beautiful courtyard seating area.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Fair's fair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I wouldn't normally write twice about a place, but when I read unfair reviews slagging off what is a lovely restaurant, by one clown who turned up at 11.40am "for lunch" and wondered why she couldn't be served, and by another who "has a problem", I'll say.

I ate there last night. When the chef(s) at this restaurant get it right it's a wonderful experience, and that was the case last night, wonderful, a perfect plate of food. Ignore these people, you're very unlikely to be disappointed.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Eaterist

Chorley
“MOROCCAN DELIGHT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

We happened upon this restaurant while returning from a walk on the Cleveland Way, as we were in need of a coffee it seemed an ideal place to stop off. The refreshments were good and we noticed a special evening planned for Saturday night, a Moroccan banquet, a booking was made and arrangements made for the following evening.
The food, service and ambience were excellent. A starter of mussels, chicken, chick pea salad etc was superb, the lamb in apricot was spectacular and the variety of sweet mouth watering. An excellent banquet fit for a birthday meal for an old git...........they have scheduled a Thai banquet for 1/2 February, if anyone is looking for a special meal, this is the place.

• Visited January 2013
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We went with friends for a birthday sunday lunch - pleasantly surprised. Interior very nice with log burning stove etc. Enjoyed the 2 course sunday lunch very much could have done with more meat though as not enough for the men!!

Visited November 2012
York, Maine
“Christmas Cheer?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Yesterday, Christmas Eve 2012 we went to Hare's Leap for our per-booked Xmas dinner. We were very impressed with the pre- booking contact via email so that they could get the correct amount of ingredients bought in and prepared for us, without waste which I thought was very good. On arrival we all loved the place with the log stove which created a great atmosphere for our outing. The staff were very pleasant and service was very good. We had a pea and something crostini for starter which was very good, my daughter had a glass of wine which she described as cheap and nasty. Now here comes the massive disappointment, we had pre ordered a turkey breast parcel wrapped in bacon with stuffing in the middle and served with pan jus, roast potatoes, carrots and red cabbage. When the meal arrived the waiter apologised for it not being what we had ordered, what they gave us was two slices of turkey a la Bernard Matthews style, a strip of bacon on top and a slice of stuffing, the pan jus? May have been Bisto instant gravy but quite frankly wasn't as tasty as that. The carrots were virtually raw, the cabbage (a dessert spoonful) was great. The three roast potatoes though small were ok, the turkey was so dry I couldn't eat it even with extra pan jus, ( I do have a problem swallowing dry food but I can eat anything as long as there is a sauce) I couldn't eat it in fact I had to spit it out on to the plate and abandon it altogether. Comments flew round the table like, "reminds me of a school dinner" etc. for £12.00 we were feeling well ripped of and disappointed, the portion size was small too to say the least. MacDonalds Festive burger was now being discussed as the next stop! The vegetarian option which my wife had was very good!! Though she would have liked more sauce. My son didn't want a Christmas dinner and ordered soup and a sandwich, the soup was good, but the cheese sandwich was about 3 inches thick filled with grated cheese and was difficult to eat, and mostly bread. Needless to say we decided to abandon the idea of dessert and coffee and head elsewhere. The waiter asked if everything was ok, I told him no it wasn't and that we were very disappointed with our meal. He told the chef, no one spoke to us about the meal and when we got the bill and paid full price for everything, they gave us a voucher for 10% off our next visit, which as you can imagine was just adding insult to injury as we'd already decided never to go back again. Another major point is the red hot stove which adds wonderful ambience to the place has the word HOT written in chalk on the side of it, it is not protected by a guard of any kind, if I was taking young children there I would be very careful as this is a serious health and safety risk.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mark R
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
“excellent local produce”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

potted duck and ham hock with cranberry sauce followed by turkeystuffed and wrapped in bacon with roast potatoes and red cabbage, was lovely. They do themed evenings too which will be the next visit here for me and I cant wait

Visited December 2012