“Friendly. Excellent. Value.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llangynidr
The Red Lion, Llangynidr
Ranked #2 of 2 Llangynidr B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Many thanks for a two day Brilliant, get away, booked by our daughter with Groupon. A nice village inn. Room small but cosy and spotlessly clean. Good food and plentiful. Beer very good. 1 VERY strong!! Staff and Locals VERY welcoming and made us very comfortable. Benjy, our staffy dog,spoilt rotten. They tried to feed him Boneos which he doesn't like. We explained his favourite treat was Pepperoni which they didn't sell. The next night they produced one and refused payment. Very happy dog. Would recommend strongly

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Draigy

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I do not think this is the norm but my family went there for lunch on Saturday 23rd March for a meal. We had the side room to ourselves which was great and service very good, friendly however and I mean this the meals were not up to the standard that I would Expect. We were sent the new menu by Sarah which was small but good, the chips were one of the main big selling points. Real chips cooked in different ways, but please tell the cook that they need more than 1 minute tooooo fry. Hard tasteless. I had the mixed grill from a local butcher in Brecon who does grissly gammon, pork concrete,sausage as a mash. Now I could go through the other 12 adult meals but NO reason an off day can be had by all. I hope after this review I do not get barred when I return because I've had many a great Sunday Lunch at The RED. A small but very attractive village pub needs to be on the ball 24/7.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Keith W
SarahFarr1941, Owner at The Red Lion, Llangynidr, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments however I am slightly confused, on the day when you were all here no comments about the food were made and I know you were checked on at least twice, once by myself and once by Richard. When the tables were cleared there did not seem to be much left on the plates the only whole item that was sent back was a full bowl of vegetables which you had asked for as an extra portion and not touched. It is more helpful to us as a business if comments like this are made on the day rather than on a website where it can actually do harm to the business. I know two of your party had the Welsh Cheese Chicken which is the most popular dish on the menu which we have been selling on and off for 4 years which everyone who has it raves about so I would appreciate it if you could tell me what was wrong with that and the same goes for the Steak and Ale Pie. As for the chips it does not state anywhere on the menu that they are real chips cooked in a number of ways, they are chilled prepared chips which we offer with seasoning of salt, pepper & paprika if required. I am sorry if you feel the food was not up to standard but please if you have any future problems please let us have the opportunity to rectify it on the day!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

If large boring "every room the same" type hotels are what you like then the Red Lion isn't for you. But if you crave quirky country inn rooms, a warm welcome from owners, staff and locals, real ales and lovely food served in generous portions then give the Red Lion a go.
We enjoyed two nights using a Groupon voucher and had a great time, especially thanks to Sarah, Charlotte, Jill and Anne, and Adrian for streaming his personal TV channel (Sky Sports2) into the bar after the main bar TV broke down (now replaced in time for the Wales v England match - who won that ? Sorry !)
Only try the mixed grill if you are VERY hungry. Or try the home-made pies.
Llangynidr is an excellent centre for exploring that beautiful part of S E Wales and the hotel sells guides to local walks.
The Red Lion is situated on a quiet road with no passing traffic so a restful night is guaranteed unless the sounds of a quaint old inn disturb you.
We will definitely return !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Betwsphil
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome. Excellent food and a great selection behind the bar. Location was ideal, very picturesque. Already planning a return visit in the not too distant future.Thoroughly recommended...

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My Wife & I were given the break by our son & daughter for christmas , we arrived earlly sunday evening to find the bar well patronised with a friendly atmosphire so we decided to eat eat in the bar, the food and beer where excellent with no restriction on the menu. The room was warm and comfortable with a good sized bed.We were able to have breakfast at a time that suited us and again the food was faultless and plenty of it to set us up for the day. It turned out to be a well sited base and we were able to explore with ease and we saw places that we had always meant to but never seemed to have the time. We can most certainly recommend the red lion and will certainly return

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and my boyfriend were bought a groupon voucher for Christmas for two nights stay, breakfast and a 3 course meal in the Red Lion pub. We originally booked to stay at the Red Lion in January but when the bad weather came we were worried we would lose out booking as we couldn’t get up there but they were very helpful in re-arranging another day for us in February. When we arrived, we were initially told they did not have us down for staying that day even though this was what we were told on the phone but despite that they were able to accommodate us despite the misunderstanding and were very helpful and happy to do it.

We stayed in a room that wasn’t on-suite but the bathroom was just across the hallway which was convenient. Both rooms were nicely decorated and clean and had a very homely feel to them. Our three course evening meal was delicious! The portions sizes were good and the ingredients of very good quality! In fact the food was so good we decided to stay they for a meal on the second night. I'm a vegetarian and so was glad to see a couple of vegetarin meals on the menu but even though there was only a small number of dishes for me to have what I did have was very tasty! The great part was being offered breakfast at a time that suited us so there was no need for us to get up at the crack of dawn!

The pub had a lovely homely atmosphere to it and you felt very much looked after! We will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Super couple of days using a Groupon Voucher. Excellent food with large portions, welcoming atmosphere, basic rooms, we had a shared bathroom which is a bit retro. Good walking to be had along the River Usk and the Brecon Canal. Shopping available in Brecon. Overall an enjoyable break.

Room Tip: Room 6 has en suite, 4 and 5 share a bathroom.