“great food, good value”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
central CT
“great food, good value”
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We went to the Black Duck in late August with four adults and two small children. We had the $20 early bird specials, which by the way is a choice of only three main dishes, not the whole menu. The food was mostly great and well-presented, like a top notch restaurant. Only the steak being a shade overcooked prevents my giving the place a full 5 stars. The service was pleasant, chatting up the kids etc. We had a great experience and would go back.

2 Thank mattabessett

North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Casually Classy”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My fiancee and I decided to have an early dinner the sunday before the 4th of July and found the Black Duck online. We saw they had an early bird special and we decided to try it. It was FABULOUS! A soup or salad, entree, and dessert for $19.95.. This is by far the best deal in Cape May. Not only was the food wonderful but the atmosphere was very unique. It is very chic and the food is trendy, but it had a very casual feel. I highly recommend the crabcakes! It's the perfect place to dine before an evening at Sunset Beach. Go, you will not be sorry.

3 Thank ValenciaCalling
Westchester, NY
“Not impressed”
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My husband and I went to Black Duck for the well reviewed Early Bird at 5:30 PM. We were seated promptly and were entitled to appetiser, entree and dessert for $19.95. We brought a bottle of wine which was graciously opened without a corkage fee.
The lobster bisque was average, the salad was fine, the entrees were OK, but the chocolate mousse was a disappointment.

3 Thank APBWestchester_NY
Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania
“Not to miss!”
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We had a reservation of 14 people-which went down to 11, and it was no problem at all for the staff to accomodate the change. Our reservation was for 8:30pm, we sat at 8:45, and were greeted by a server almost immediately.

It is a BYOB, so we brought many bottles of wine-all were served and chilled appropriately. The service was good, but the amount of time it took to cook our food was a bit lengthy-about an hour and some change for our main courses.

I had the sesame-crusted tuna as an entree and it was out of this world. Ordered rare, it was done exactly to my liking. The asian vegetables that came with it were extrememly tasty as well. Others in my party ordered the salmon dish, crabcakes, and a filet dish and all got great reviews. For dessert I had the chocolate mousse and again-amazingly good. Not too rich, served with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries.

The atmosphere was very open, inviting, but yet semi-formal. We had a private room in the back of the restaurant with wall to wall windows that allowed for a cool humid breeze-very calming. The staff were all friendly and with smiles-even though we closed the restaurant that evening around 11pm.

Great experience & wonderful food.

3 Thank mchugh32000
Ruxton, MD
“Great Early Bird Special”
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My wife and I went here with our 2 year old on our first day in Cape May. Excellent deal on the early bird special. Crab cakes were delicious, and we're from Maryland (generally don't order crab cakes out of state). Service was very friendly and not obtrusive. Decor is understated, but very nice. Highly recommend, although not sure I would have enjoyed as much at full price.

2 Thank CarlSJB