“Best meal of our trip”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2008

My wife and I ate at the Black Duck for the first time last week, even though we'd been to Cape May before. The food was excellent,as was the service. We had 7:00 reservations (recommended) and were seated immediately. The restaurant looks small, but its many rooms host a decent number of tables. The waitress attended to us promptly and cheerfully.

For an appetizer, I ordered the Lobster Gazpacho, a tomato-based vegetable soup that was just right, with real chunks of lobster (not shavings) set in a martini glass for an elegant touch. My wife had the Stilton Salad, which was fresh and light.

For entrees, I highly recommend the Szechwan Spiced Beef, a specialty of the restaurant, served as lightly crisped beefs strips over udon noodles in a peanut stir fry. One of the most delicious Szechwan beef dishes I ever had. We also ordered the Salmon, which was flaky and cooked to perfection. Very fresh.

BYOB and be prepared for one of the best restaurants on Cape May!

There are newer reviews for Black Duck on Sunset

Reviewed August 18, 2007

The restaurant is in an old house, so the rooms are small and cut up - either intimate or crowded, depending on your point of view.

Our party found the food very good, with a few caveats. The roasted duck was excellent, as was the szechuan beef. The duck tostadas were also good. However, those who had the salmon in saffron-vanilla sauce thought it did not go together very well: the sauce was too sweet, almost like a creme anglaise. The cook had gotten a lttle too adventurous, but then again he (or she) may have known the American taste for sweet things.

Ask for complete descriptions of the dishes so you do not have an unpleasant surprise.

The food is heavily Asian influenced, and beer might be better than wine with many dishes.

Because the restaurant does not have a liquor license, it makes its money on food, and the prices are high. But the overall price of food and BYOB wine at the Black Duck was about 60% of the bill at the Ebbitt Room, which was not as good (althugh still good).

1  Thank Njal
Reviewed August 4, 2007

My husband, son and I dined at Black Duck on Sun pm. Everything was awesome. Each entree arrived at the table as if it was prepared just for us. The service was friendly and professional however, If I was management, I would work on the bus staff. Not friendly and clearing plates of those that are finished while others are still eating(a no,no in fine dining). The server was obviously busy but treated us like we were his only table. Thank you Black Duck for another remarkable eve.

2  Thank champions14
Reviewed July 30, 2007

We have gone to the Black Duck several times a year for the past several years. The food remains outstanding. Their early bird special is one of the best values at the shore. The portions are not huge, but unless you like heaping portions on your plate, they are adequate. While the help are not glad-handers, the service is excellent and the wait staff pleasant. We just visted last week and look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed March 11, 2007

I've dined at the Black Duck several times, especially this past summer. It has a cozy atmosphere and is a BYOB, which is nice. However, the more I've dined there the more I've realized how mediocre most of the food is and how impersonal the service is. The menu is quite limited, with not even one standard chicken dish on it. Besides this, other than the appetizers, nothing on the menu is outstanding, and the restaurant will NOT accommodate any special requests or substitutions. For example, I wanted to substitute mashed potatoes for the side dish that came with my meal, but they wouldn't do it. Also, I went during Christmas and asked for my steak to be cooked Pittsburgh style, but the waitress said they couldn't do that. I realized later that the only reason they couldn't do it was because they had already precooked all the steaks, so to accommodate my request, they would have had to cook a fresh one (Pittsburgh style is when the outside of the steak is charred and the inside is pink. If the steaks weren't pre-cooked, they would have been able to easily accommodate that request).

Also, other than one server (can't remember her name--she wears glasses), most of the others are very impersonal. You could go to the restaurant twenty times in a row, and they'd still treat you as if they've never seen you before. The worst of all the servers is, unfortunately, one that I always seem to get. She has the demeanor of a diner waitress.

In short, I really don't recommend the Black Duck, especially if you're looking for an elegant dining experience.

5  Thank gmelog