“Very nice food”

Ranked #15 of 64 Restaurants in Wicklow
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a nice meal here this weekend, the menu is all organic so depending on the time of year you go here then this will dictate the menu choice, we felt a bit
Limited by choices but in the end the meal was great.
Positives: food was excellent quality & very well presented. Staff very friendly & efficient . Taster menu available for they very adventurous.

Negatives: a little but pricey. Restaurant was a bit golf and decor is very dark - not to our tastes. But these are minor issues.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I and my girlfriend decided to use a voucher for the Brook Lodge to try out their restaurant the Strawberry Tree. Apparently, for Saturday dinner service (without a doubt the busiest night of the week for any restaurant), in the Strawberry Tree you only have one option for dinner and it is the 7 courses tasting menu which would be probably fine if it wasn’t a cheese and dairy based.
For € 65.00 per person this restaurant presented us with this menu (picture attached).
My girlfriend doesn’t like cheese and they were kind enough to adjust a couple of courses for her but, even for me who love cheese, everything was way too cheesy and rich. Even the Woodruff Bearnaise sauce and one of the desserts contained cheese.
We weren’t very happy about the food and, when we had the chance to give our opinion to whom we believe could have been the head chef, we were told that, what we had was the “harvest menu” and it was built to use products coming from farmers collaborating with his restaurant but, since when dairy products are harvested?
The service was ok. It was very good at the start of the evening but failing to ask you if you didn’t like your food when you leave it on the plate and leaving plates on the table for a good 15 minutes after food is finished and having to ask somebody to take them away is not great service.
Bottom line, if you are planning to go to this restaurant, you may want to think that, for the same money, you can go to a Michelin star establishment where, at least, you will have the option to pick between several menus.
Definitely not worth it the over one hour drive we took from Dublin to go there

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked the Strawberry Tree for a special family occasion as my siblings are "foodies" and I had long wanted to eat there myself. I should say first off that the food was everything we had hoped for and more. I had forgotten flavours and food could be so good. I enjoyed every mouthful and was glad that I had made the reservation for such a special occasion.
Would I go back? Well no. I found the person in charge to be officious, cold on arrival and efficient without any warmth. The other members of staff were quiet and almost timid when clearing the table and delivering the food. The atmosphere in the restaurant was muted and as a result of the staff, the whole meal could have felt intimidating only for the fact that I am not easily intimidated! What a shame!!!! It is not enough for the food to speak for itself when looking for a treat of a night out, if the whole package takes from the culinary delight it should have been.
The bar was comfortable and the staff there very friendly.
I have since spoken to a number of people about my feelings having eaten here and it would seem I am not alone. Most who live in the area say that there is an alternative (Monart) where the food is as good but the atmosphere is much better for an important meal out. I will try that next time. Shame!

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Strawberry Tree is well-respected as an organic centre of culinary excellence. I recently had a chance to dine there and found the experience absolutely tremendous. The varied menu, the staff and wine list, the ambience and personal touches make this a place to go back to for a special occasion.
The Strawberry Tree features a menu compris with 4 courses. Given the economic climate in Ireland presently, I wondered if the menu might be a little too pricey. In deference to the restaurant, organic food of this quality cannot be easy to assemble. As a consumer, I do believe in getting what you expect to pay for and the Strawberry Tree did not disappoint!

1  Thank ernestBT48
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Having wanted to go here for a long time we went for a birthday meal, very excited. That didnt last. Small portions, big prices and average service. Stopped off in chip shop on way home, enough said

1  Thank Jakreacher