“Family Wedding”

Grand Hotel Wicklow
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Wicklow
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We recently held our Son's wedding at the Grand Hotel in Wicklow and cannot express how happy we were with the entire event. The bride was from Sweden and the wedding plans were largely made by phone and email with Veronica. From the outset her and her staff couldn't have been more helpful accommodating all requests and we were very confident that such a special occassion was in capable hands. The whole weekend was a huge success. A number of guests travelled for the wedding and stayed at the Hotel and were looked after to the very best. The wedding itself was a fantastic day. The bride is Persian and the ceremony took place in the hotel. Veronica and her staff went to great lengths to ensure that everything went smoothly and the ceremony and function room were both decorated beautifully, with great attention to detail which made the day very special for our son and his new wife.
The meal was fabulous with excellent friendly service from all of the staff in the hotel. A large number stayed overnight and were extremely pleased with the rooms and breakfast the following morning.
Overall we cannot praise the Grand Hotel, Veronica and her staff enough and would highly recommend them. Mick and May Lambert, Wicklow.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maymick

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I was more than happy with my spacious and comfortable room which was well furnished and warm on a bitterly cold day.
I had a couple of beers before a very tasty and well portioned dinner in the excellent bar.
There is a very nice ambience in the bars and lounge, with excellent seating and lighting.
The staff were very attentive and helpful, and the entertainment in the evening was good.
The breakfast was very good, and was served in a very nice dining room.
The only negative, was the lack of wireless internet in the rooms, you could only get a signal in the reception area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights midweek and although there was nothing major wrong I'd say I'd give it about a 7/10.

The positives are the food was lovely in both restaurants, staff were nice, good location

The negatives were, the room was too warm at night didn't get a great night sleep the first night, rooms could do with a bit of a modern renovation and the car park had no back entrance we were lucky it wasn't raining.

Overall I probably would stay again if I was going to wicklow.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 20, 2013

So I booked a living social deal and after reading previous reviews I was worried as I had booked for myself and a group of friends . But away we went anyway .
Well to start with John who I had booked with met us at the desk and was very nice and helpful , and over the course of our stay was at all times there when I needed to ask anything , also another petit girl behind the desk was also very very helpful .
At the last moment we had cause to arrange a small celebration for one of the girls where the manager supplied us with champaign classes and strawberries without us even asking .
Food in both the bar and restaurant was good and so were the barmen .
All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel . We'll be back !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed here regularly over the years, and written negative reviews in the past, I have to say we were pleasantly surprised

The staff were attentive, both at breakfast and reception. The breakfast itself was much improved on last time with speed and quality in abundance.

Really enjoyed the evenings entertainment in the bar, and prices are reasonable.

After previous stays we were not looking forward to the stay but chose to for convienence, but we left HAPPY with our stay and will.look forward to the next time!

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 28, 2013

stayed at the grand to celebrate my birthday with friends,rooms are ok could do with modernisation but still nice and clean and do the job,had food on both nights and standard was very good and priced reasonable,nice bar and lounge with friendly staff and decent pint,hotel is in a good position at the start of wicklow town and very close to good bars and decent nightclub right opposite the hotel,good car parking facility also,will be back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Grand Hotel Wicklow on a Living Social deal. Great deal 79 Euros for B&B for 2, drink each and main course each in bar.

The service was truly brilliant - everyone from the girls on reception to the waitresses in the restaurant for breakfast were so friendly, helpful and efficient. Made me understand why tourists always talk up the Irish friendliness etc.

Food was much better than expected - my husband got lovely burger & home made chips for dinner and I got salmon (slightly overcooked but tasty) with veggies. The breakfast was truly delightful though - lots of options for cooked breakfast and fantastic cold buffet too.

The hotel itself, while very clean, is however quite dated and lacking in atmosphere - definitely needs redecorating. Also our bedroom was so hot all the time we were there with 3 radiators pumping out heat (can only be turned off at reception I think) - so much so that we had to open a window to let some cool air in. I hated thinking of the waste and environmental impact and also we were above the nightclub so our sleep was affected by some noise with people entering/leaving club - however fortunately this wasn't too bad or maybe we were just exhausted.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from nightclub and also that heat in room is turned off at night.