“Best Asian food on east coast”
Review of Penang Garden - CLOSED

Penang Garden
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is our favourite Asian restaurant on east coast. The menu is small but everything is cooked to perfection. Staff are very friendly and service with a smile is the norm.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Boring and safe, their curry pastes no doubt come out of jar tailored to western tastes. Perhaps if they were a bit more adventurous they might have more than three people in the restaurant on a Saturday night in July.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had some friends over from the states and decided to treat them to a takeaway as they fancied some oriental food. I decided to give Penang Garden a try after seeing quite a few positive reviews online so was looking forward to tasting their food. I ordered quite an array of starters and main courses to get the general flavour of their food. When I arrived to pick up my order I noticed the restaurant was tatty and somewhat run-down, with a bicycle parked against a table in the restaurant so it didn't instill a lot of confidence the kitchens would be exactly pristine. Our order finally came out of the kitchen twenty minutes after the collection time which was irritating however; the biggest disappointment was the unbelievably amateurish quality of the food. All our starters appeared to be re-fried deep fried, I had always thought a Tempura batter was delicate, light and crispy but all our starters had the type of batter you find on a burned fish you'd buy in a lousy chip shop. Main courses were uniformly awful - oily beyond belief- tasteless, over cooked and watery. All four adults and three children agreed it was the worst takeaway meal they'd ever eaten. A terribly low grade takeaway who are giving Malay food a bad name, but in keeping with the general appalling standard of oriental food available in Wicklow Town.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

i went with my daughter - we had a mass selection of starters for our meal - really good food, and if possible lovely to sit at the back window overlooking the river!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Overall the food was just ok.. with just a couple of notable dishes (the platter to start was probably too good and raised your expectation too much)..Bland atmosphere and decor. I have definitely enjoyed better..

1  Thank Jessie1000