“Great Location”

Knockree Youth Hostel
Ireland
“Great Location”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

If you are looking for a getaway in to the Wicklow mountains be it for a walking or cycling break you will get no better location than this hostel. Friendly staff at check in, great facilities and easy on the pocket this was a great find. Lovely atmosphere among the other guests which added to our stay. Stunning scenery all round.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank dunnangallIreland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This place is excellent, so far from the usual hostel. the rooms are modern, spacious, comfortable and cool. The whole place is so cool, great laid back atmosphere and funky furnishings. We loved the sunny breakfast room and beautiful grounds. The food was yummy and we were glad of the kitchen for making our own lunches to take with us the next day. There's also a room with lots of films to chill out in and watch some movies - great. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only slight downside for us was a rather pokey, cold shower room.
Overall, we loved our stay!

Room Tip: We got to the hostel early and managed to bag the two beds on the mezzanine level, which was great b...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HollieW88
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I were nearing the end of our first day on the wicklow way; we had intended to camp but a sudden downpour of very heavy rain and impending darkness forced us to book into the youth hostel. It was a very pleasing building architecturally with great views of the valley and had excellent facilities; though like most hostels it wasnt exactly a couples retreat, which we didnt expect it to be. It was very clean and the beds were relatively comfortable (better than our roll mats would have been). What bothered us was that it was overpriced; like most hostels and hotels in ireland. Even off-peak and with a student price it was still well over 20 euro. That being said I probably would stay again; i think it would be a great place to stay as part of a bigger group.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hzlha
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was lucky enough to have won a nights stay in a family room in Knockree. I have to say, I didn't know what to expect as it must be 22 years since I last stayed in a youth hostel - we used to go with my father as kids, travelled up and down the country. This time I was going with 3 young kids, the eldest being 5! I didn't know if I was cracked and if they were too young. Wow - what a surprise! First of all, location was amazing. The staff were so friendly and welcoming. We couldn't get over the room. Such space! The kids loved our walk from the hostel to the Coilte Forest just up the road and it was safe and easy to manage them on the walk, in the dining room & they even managed to get their bedtime tele thanks to the hostel having Sky TV. I wanted to see if it was doable and it certainly was. The kids didn't want to leave. I can't wait until our next trip, I would recommend it to any familys. Such a peaceful and ideal location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TrionaD78
Crumlin, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We arrived as a last minute idea on way back up from a horrible first experience in a Wicklow hostel. We walked in and got a shared dorm (unexpectadely with 2 german lads who were at our last location - very surreal!) and I was very very shocked at the place. The views are amazing....it is so lovely and peaceful (in the middle of nowhere but gorgeous)...the place is clean, the room we were in had downstairs a seperate shower/toilet, desk, bunk bed and single bed all downstairs and then stairs in the room lead to a mezzanine room with 2 double beds. It is very modern and funky decor. The staff were very helpful, there is a common room with full sky TV, books, DVD's, you can hire games from reception. There is a large self catering kitchen and plenty of fridges and storage area and pots/pans/cutlery etc to use. Breakfasts are available from 3euro for cereal, tea/coffee/juice, toast/soda breads etc....up to full fry up at 8 euro. Shop about 3 miles away or nearest big chain supermarket is in Bray. I would definitely recommend this place for those wanting peace on a budget yet still luxury. There is free wifi in the reception area too.....I am very much a city chick who hated the thought of hostels and camping....and this place has converted me! Loved it!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vicki J
dublin, ireland
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I left the Knockree Youth Hostel today after staying for 5 nights with my wife and 2 children (11 and 7). The location is rural but stunning. It's 7km from the nearest village and the views are fantastic.

The hostel provided food which was brilliant, like home cooked food and plenty of it. Of course you can bring your own food if you wish.

The hostel even had Sky TV which kept the children entertained when it rained.

The staff couldn't do any more for you and they were a minefield of information. While we were staying a German Scout Group put out a mayday call and they were accommodated with free food!

There's a mixture of dormitories and ensuite family rooms but all the beds are reasonable.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the hostel if you're after great accommodation in a fantastic location that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank oganly
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed here while walking the wicklow way and absolutely loved the place. Lovely building in a beautiful setting. We stayed in an en suite twin room which was basic but perfectly clean and nice. (Only minor complaint was that the mattress was very thin so not much back support but that's what you expect in a hostel) The shower wasn't great, but after a 30k hike it was a welcome sight! Cooking/dining/common areas all very clean,well equipped and comfortable. Rooms were good value at only 27 euro each for a twin en suite (I think around 20 to stay in a dorm). Overall a great stay, I would highly recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: If you're travelling in a couple and want a bit of extra comfort, book the 'double deluxe ro...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SetSail07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wicklow
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort
Captain Halpin's Bunkhouse
Glendalough International Youth Hostel
Glendalough International Youth ...
#1 of 1 in Glendalough Village

Been to Knockree Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!