“Great Fun and great value”

The Royal Hotel Arklow
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Arklow
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I Stayed in the royal hotel last week with friends . We found the hotel and its staff very helpfull and alot of fun. While staying in the hotel they had bands each night and a night club in the back. The place was bursting with great atmostphere and i enjoyed every bit. I myself got steak nearly for breakfast , lunch , dinner because it was so nice. We all agreed the staff are Super Nice and welcoming and i would recommend it to anyone looking to have a great place to stay with friendly staff and a great atmostphere

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simon O

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Was in Arklow for an annual golf competition held at the local Arklow golf links, 5 min walk. Stayed in the Royal Hotel. The Royal is based in the centre of the main street and just a short walk to all the amenities, shopping centre, golfing, night life. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Large bar and lounge area and smoking area and at the week ends a free night club out the back. Good selection of bar food. What more would you want at this price!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was happy enough with the price of the room, as the hotel is very well located in the centre of town. However, I got a room which appeared to be just above the bar / nighclub. I expect some noise, as you would in the centre of a main street on bank holiday weekend, and managed to drift to sleep about midnight. At about 2.30am though, somebody appeared to ramp up the volume, and I was woke to the thumping sound of music which was actually causing the furtniture in my room to move around. The entire bed was vibrating.
Rooms are sparse and old fashioned, with little in the way of facilities. (light over bed was broken and kept sparking, TV had no remote and was positioned on top of a wardrobe makng it uncomfortable to watch, though as it only had one channel, that wasnt going to be used anyway), and the bathroom was so small I had to stand outside when washing my hands, one at a time in the dollhouse sized sink. I was hit with the smell of stale smoke when I opened the door to the flooor my room was on.

Overall, it was relatively cheap, and the dinner I had in the bar was fantastic and well priced, but if you want a good nights sleep, ask to be put well away from the bar. Cheap rooms, very nice food, but I would probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: well away from the bar / nighclub.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Noel B
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Pre booked a room through booking.com and got a good price. When we arrived the barman whom was the receptionist wouldnt accept our booking as he said they didnt have rooms at that price. We were absoutely discussted with his attitute towards us.
If we had stayed there we would have had dinner and breakfast there, and we were meeting friends later and we would also have stayed drinking in the bar.
Very short sighted regarding business as we would have spent a couple of hundred euros in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sheelagh L
Reviewed July 19, 2012

recently on a hens night out in the royal hotel we really enjoyed are weekend from the moment we arrived till the time we left the staff were great ,good humoured,friendly,most helpfull .the royal is in the middle of the town so convient for everything not that we left the royal .what more could you need drink and food.the hotel had a relaxed atnosphere the food was great we partied all weekend in the night club rooms were basic and clean what more could you want on a great weekend 10 out of 10 for the royal

Room Tip: this is a fab party hotel bar never sleeps
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed in this 'so called Hotel' last night. It should not be called a hotel by the way. Rooms were very oldfashioned and stank from cigarettes and drink. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed a while ago, for just one night. It was a kind of reunion, people had travelled from all over and we pretty much all stayed there. Now, I'll be honest, the rooms are nothing special, they are in need of a bit of paint and a trip to their local swedish flat pack furniture stockists for some mirrors, wardrobes and a few accessories. The main thing is though, is that the room was clean, when I seen how basic it was I pulled back the bed sheets straight way to check the bed and it was very clean, as was the toilet (which was also very dated).

Have to say, the staff looked after us brilliantly! Made sure we had space for ourselves, the DJ put on the music we asked for, and even when we were all a bit late down for breakfast they still looked after us. They genuinely couldn't have been nicer, which is the least I personally expect considering the amount of money we all spent in the bar that night!

If you are looking for a quiet weekend away, this is NOT the hotel to go to. The noise from the nightclub is EXTREMELY loud, but if you're looking for a lads/girls weekend away it's a very economical place to stay, and they will look after you!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arklow
Arklow Bay Hotel
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village
Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre

Been to The Royal Hotel Arklow? Share your experiences!