“Mini Break”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Arklow
County Tipperary, Ireland
“Mini Break”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Took 2 nights away to this hotel as i had a gift of a 2 night stay in a Brennans Hotel,Mabey this was a disadvantage as the room was not great,First impressions small.. dull.. stain on wall near single bed and noise from some contraption going all night with absolutely no view unless you count the ceiling lights from dining room roof.and no air conditioning so very stuffy room. Must say the breakfast was very good with a self service buffet couldnt fault it,The pool was a good size but oh my god the dirt around the rim and on the buttons you press for the jacuzzi were filthy. didnt use the gym but it looked ok.
The Hotel is in a good area for the shopping center just a short walk also through a walk way near the lake in front of hotel you can walk to the beach or talk a walk /jog along a wonderful promenade,
I think with a little more care this could be a lovely hotel get the rubber gloves out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank valeofhoney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

A friend and myself took my elderly Mother here for the weekend. We chose this hotel because it was not too far from home and an easy drive for 'the aged one'. My friend had booked a twin room for my Mother and herself and I booked a single room (I decided to go at the last minute !!). My Mother's room was on the ground floor and was very dark. The view from the window was a wall !! However, it did have the requested walk-in shower and I'm presuming that rooms with such facilities are on the ground floor for easy access.

My room on the higher floor had a wonderful view and was bright and sunny. More importantly, it was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. The 'welcome tray' had not been replenished but was done when I asked at reception.

Our check-in was a little rushed as a coach load of golfers arrived just after us and the lone receptionist very obviously wanted to deal with them quickly. She just about told us where the dining room was and times for breakfast. There was no 'welcome pack' in my room. This was a source of irritation as I wanted to find out times for the swimming pool, etc. and my companions had already retired. I couldn't contact reception by phone so I went down. The guy there gave me the times ok but when I asked for a welcome pack he said there should be one in my room........ !! I never managed to secure one but looked at the one in my companions' room the next day.

Breakfast provided a large selection of food. It was ok - but the bacon was fairly dried up on both mornings. I couldn't find glasses for OJ and nobody was around so I ended up going behind the bar area and taking wine glasses.

The biggest disappointment was dinner. It was bad !!! Two starters were just ok - but my friend did not enjoy her melon as it was smothered in coulis. Main courses - my friends fish was good - our pork was absolutely disgusting. I realise that it is pork belly - but it consisted of just a lump of fat, with a sausage of some description beside it. In a word - inedible. Why would a chef plate this and send it out ?? The menu is very limited so we didn't have much to choose from. Deserts - my chocolate torte was okay - if I disregard the chocolate sauce burnt onto the plate !! A little less time in the microwave, methinks !! My friend had creme brulee and pronounced it unpalatable - the 'crust' looked and tasted burnt - I suspect somebody got a little happy with the blow torch !!

The entertainment apparently was delayed on one of the nights we were there and didn't start until 1.30 a.m. This didn't affect us in the least as we definitely were not there to hear a Country and Western Band. Not our choice in music - but obviously suits some people.

Overall, a handy little getaway as it's not far from Dublin. The Arklow Bay Hotel seems to be rather popular on Sunday afternoons with non-residents as it was crowded. The weather was beautiful and we couldn't get a seat outside the hotel. A bigger problem was that there was no parking available until later in the evening. Stay here - but eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor - unless you need disabled facilities. Ground floor rooms are very...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mysteriousmims_123
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely loved my stay here even though our room was very small due to cancellation we received. Love the quant town with variety of little shops. The walk around the hotel in so beautiful and peaceful. Food fantastic and staff went out of their way to please us. Had the sea right beside us as well which was a bonus. Only negative thing is, you would have to bring your own bulb for room as could not see properly for make up !

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank daisell
ArklowBayHotel, General Manager at Arklow Bay Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you very much for submitting your review. We are delighted to here that you enjoyed you stay and are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights the rooms were not clean..the shower wasnt suitable for young kids as you couldnt adjust it no bath for them. no wifi in bedrooms. The kids club was very poor no activities only movies at night.kids were bored! We were told on arrival evening meal was included however on checkout told we had to pay 39 euro for the kids one who is a baby. the staff advised we should have known kids were extra however they never told us kids were extra. The food was appalling. They gave a baby a knife and fork to eat meal. The chicken came on the bone for young kids. Meal was disgusting. overall left my trip feeling misled and annoyed at how staff felt people should already know kids meals were extra. price was kids was ridiculous. Very poor hotel all round.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank imcveigh
Thank you very much for submitting your review. I am disappointed to read your review as we strive to give great value family breaks. Our “Lenny the Lion’s” kids club runs day times & evening time offering both outdoor and indoor activities. I am sorry that you misunderstood and thought kids dinners were included, however our rates and packages are well advertised as kids share free for B&B. We also understood that you enjoyed your meals at the time and would have been more than happy for you to pick an alternative meal from our extensive children’s menu if you would of informed us. We have many room types including those with baths and shower room and are delighted to look after any specific requirement mentioned at time of booking.

We looking forward to welcoming you back.

Travelers are raving about these Arklow hotels

belfast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

One often wonders 'who writes these reviews', well in this case we are a very satisfied customer writing about our stay at the Arklow Bay Hotel last weekend. Staff were always very helpful, food was good and the entertainment in the bar of an evening was excellent. Arklow would not be the best shopping town in the country, however we came to relax and not to shop!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fwmckee
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed there for one night. We had lunch in the bar which was very nice and then dinner later which again was good but the service was quite slow. Had finished our starter and still hadn't gotten the wine we ordered, had to remind the waitress when she came to take the dishes away. The biggest disappointment was the breakfast it was dreadful. Very poor selection and everything was dried up and we went down for breakfast an hour after it had started so it wasn't like we had left it till the last minute. Even the tea was lukewarm. Ended up boiling the kettle in the room to get some "hot" tea. Can't understand how the lunch/dinner can be so nice and then basic food like sausages & rashers can be so bad. One other thing the water on the table was warm and there was no water glasses had to use the wine glasses.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great hotel great food and the rooms were good the leisure centre was excellent my only bad thought is the town most shops were shut down and for a Saturday it was empty mainly because of the new shopping centre.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arklow
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
The Royal Hotel Arklow
Parkview Hotel
Parkview Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to Arklow Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!