“Going the extra mile”

Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Arklow
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've just got back to England from a trip to Wicklow to scatter my Mother's ashes. We stayed at The Woodenbridge and thank goodness we did. The trip was organised at quite short notice, but the hotel bent over backwards to accommodate our ever-changing requests. Sandwiches for our late arrival, a picnic for the climb up Croghan and a party in the evening for 30 guests: the e-mails flew back and forth and the staff were always positive.
We stayed in the Lodge and found it clean and very quiet - very surprised by some of the negative comments here about these two items. It was great to be able to leave the jolly, heaving bar - both nights we staying they were hosting weddings - and retreat to perfect calm.
They also did us proud for our party, setting up a projector so that I could show slides of my mother's life, slipping in extra places when my counting proved defective! - and the food was very good. I notice some complaints here about the dinners and breakfasts, but I think these people are being over-picky. The Woodenbridge is not a 5 star Dublin hotel, it's a great place that serves the community as well as a lot of visitors. I was amazed at the efficiency of the kitchen, feeding us promptly at the same time as the wedding party of 100. My meal was very tasty and a 'cut above' traditional.
As I'm sure the owners of The Woodenbridge will read this, I'd like to thank them here for everything they did for us this weekend. They certainly went the extra mile for us!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Annie,

It is lovely to hear such kind comments from our guests, we are thrilled to read your positive review, and I am glad it was an enjoyable one to celebrate your mother’s life. I am delighted you found the food so good and I appreciate your comments in relation to our staff. It is very important aspect to us as we place a huge emphasis on customer service here, and I am particularly pleased that you and your family were happy with our service. We do our best to give our guests a ‘home away from home’ experience. I'm glad we could do our bit to make your stay such an enjoyable one full of memories and I hope to see you back with us in the near future.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding reception here. It is an old hotel with buckets of charm. It is cosy and inviting from the time you step inside the door. From start to finish everyone is brilliant. Everything we wanted was catered for no problems at all. All staff were very friendly and had time for the children. We had eaten here on many occasions before but the food the day of the wedding was exceptional! Everyone raved about it. The rooms were all large with many of them in the hotel having a double and single. There are lots of cosy quiet corners to sit and relax in. The lodge across the road has a lovely setting with the river running behind it and again all of the rooms are large. We would have no problems in recommending this hotel to everyone!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Melissa & Derek,
It is always such a pleasure to receive such a positive and complimentary review, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your special day, we ensure it will be your most memorable! I am happy that you enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the hotel, and shall pass all your wonderful comments to our staff. I am particularly pleased to hear that all the guests felt comfortable and well looked after by our team, as customer service is our main priority. Enjoy your honeymoon and we look forward to welcoming you both back here for all your future anniversaries!
Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is a very "dont judge a book by its cover" type of hotel.
It seems old fashioned from the outside and inside too, but that is actually something that is embraced by the management and after staying there and experiencing old fashioned customer service I really did appreciate it.
My sister had her wedding there and had her civil ceremony there also, we did do a lot of work decorating the ceremony area and outside as well as the reception room as it is a very large room and needed personal touches but the management were very accommodating and we had no problem with any of our additions.
The meal was lovely but what stood out the most was the service and location. There was one waitress at the wedding who was so friendly and helpful and it really was noticed, a young blonde lady who nothing was too much to ask.
I would definitely recommend this as a wedding hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank annehamiltonblack
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your thoughtful and kind review, we always look forward to hearing feedback from guests, and we are thrilled you took the time to write us such an honest one. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay here for your sister’s wedding and experienced the warmth of the Woodenbridge Welcome. We do our best to make our guests feel like this is their ‘home away from home’ and the history of the hotel certainly adds to the charm, which you very kindly noted in your review. We are very happy that you added your own decorations to the civil ceremony and the function room, as we believe it makes it that bit more special and individual, and we are very happy to lend a hand too!

We take great pride in all our staff and we take our customer service very seriously, thank you for your thoughtful mention and I am particularly pleased to hear that you thought our customer service was of an excellent standard.
I shall pass your nice comments to our staff and chef, they will be delighted to receive such superb mention. It is lovely to hear such a positive review and to hear you will recommend us to a friend.
Maybe on your next stay you can explore some of the beautiful scenery in Wicklow!

Reviewed June 20, 2014

Stayed a few times. Never more than 2 nights, and I am NOT a Golfer. We would take wonderful quiet walks late into the evening, enjoy the Irish music and hospitality at the pub and the rooms, the lobby, and the grounds are spectacular. We have reccomemded Woodenbridge to may folks and they have enjoyed it as well. Not a Castle, not a Marriot, just Ireland, and THATS okay with me

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LJ O
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, your positive feedback is greatly appreciated. I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your many visits with us and am glad to hear you would recommend us to friends. We are delighted to hear that you have explored the surrounding area, and the lovely walks that accompany the hotel, as Woodenbridge holds some of Ireland’s most beautiful untold natural scenery.

I once again would like to thank you for your valuable comments and we look forward to the pleasure of your continued visits, hopefully the sun will still be shining!

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My wife and I visited County Wicklow yesterday looking for future possible holiday destinations, and we called in at the Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge for lunch. It was awful. We both had turkey and ham which consisted of one thin slice of ham and some watery insipid turkey with some really dire stuffing in the middle. This was covered in "gravy" which, in my wife's case, was also slopped into her coleslaw, which was in a separate dish. The accompanying chips had seen better days too. All very disappointing, as it looks like a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bobtuck
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for giving us a detailed and honest review; I would like to apologize to yourself and your wife that you did not find the food served here up to the high standard we set ourselves. I am particularly disappointed about this, as we have built up an excellent reputation in the area and our food is normally received very well as can be seen from numerous positive reviews. This reputation is something we would like to maintain and I can assure you the matter is being investigated at present. It is unfortunate you did not mention it to one of our staff on the day, as the satisfaction of our customers is of highest priority and we would have tried our best to rectify the fault.

As a family owned and managed hotel, we take very seriously all negative feedback and would hate to lose a good customer as a result, we hope you will visit us in the future so you can try the lunch again.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Got married here on the 5th June had a great day. The hotel was great they done a great job on wedding room it looked fantastic, the staff were so friendly they couldn't of done more for us. The food was amazing every was talking about a special thanks to Julie - Ann and Lorcan who who helped organise it and really looked after us. would recommend this place for any occasion. THANKS

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Darren M
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your lovely comments, and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your special day, we do our best to make it one of your most memoriable. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the hotel, and I will pass on your comments to all the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back for your future anniversaries. Is mise le meas, Ciara Byrne

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night in the lodge. Friendly reception staff and great room facing the river with a small balcony. It was lovely and quiet that is until a coach load of young American golfers arrived! It then became very rowdy with shouting and banging doors... Alot! Now I'm not a party pooper and we "ignored" it for as long as possible. But by about 10.30pm we really wanted to go to sleep so I felt I had to ring reception. Now I must stress, this is in no way the hotels fault, as they apologised profusely and they addressed the issue very quickly and we had a great nights sleep! The food is fantastic! Ate tea in Four Vales bar which was outstanding and breakfast in the Redmond restaurant. This was lovely too! Overall a great place that we would definitely go back to!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
wbhotel, Receptionist at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest,
It’s always such a pleasure to receive such a positive and complimentary review. Firstly, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the lack of quietness in the lodge during your stay, some guests enjoying themselves tend to forget that there are other guests staying too however, I am happy to hear that you felt comfortable and well looked after by our team, as customer service is our main priority. We are currently updating our breakfast, bar and restaurant menus, and we really do appreciate your valuable feedback. Thank you again for the wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you here in the near future, hopefully the sun will be shining for your next stay. Don’t forget to keep in touch via Facebook and view all our offers on our website!

Ciara Byrne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Arklow
Arklow Bay Hotel
Parkview Hotel
Parkview Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!