“Better than a b & b”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Arklow
Canberra, Australia
“Better than a b & b”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

After one review we were a bit hesitant to stay here but checked it out first and decided to stay. We were glad we did as having stayed at some b & bs in Ireland this was better value for the money. We ate at the bar and both the service and food were fine. Breakfast was excellent and more than one could manage. The room had a great view and was certainly clean and adequate. We would certainly return if in this area again.

• Stayed September 2011
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us, and I’m glad it was an enjoyable one. I look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Kind regards,
Gerard O Brien.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Galway
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I have stayed here a number of times over the past few years due to its location and I know the barfood is is mostly quite good (though a lot of the menu has not changed in a few years).
First and most important are the bedrooms while they have been updated somewhat, have lovely views with free wireless, the matress and linen in any room I have stayed in are in bad condition and the showers in a number of rooms need to be replaced too. While I wouldn't say the rooms are dirty, they look like they need to be freshened up.
While I find the food quite good in the bar the service is often quite terrible, the last few times I have stayed here I have been ignored by the floor staff maybe because I travel hence dinealone. So service has depended on how busy the barman is and if there was a function on.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank PazBan
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry your recent stay wasn't up to the high standard we set ourselves. In relation to the rooms, we do as much as possible try and maintain the rooms and keep them up to date, and have a continuous programme of maintenance and deep cleaning in place. I am particularly disappointed that you found the service in the bar not good enough and if you would like to contact me to discuss this further I would appreciate it.
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My girlfriend and I live and work around the ballsbridge/blackrock area in Dublin, so we decided to have a little break from the hustle and bustle of the city, and what a perfect place we chose. This fantastic little hotel was the ideal break we needed. From the peaceful location to the proper home cooked food we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The only issue was the allocation of the room in the lodge rather than the actual hotel building. The room was perfectly clean, tidy and well presented but the choice of room should be highlighted either on check in or on the website as the room pictured on the website looked amazing whereas our room was an up Market travelogue. I must stress that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room. We will be returnif next time we need time away from cars and main roads though! Thank you very much.

• Stayed August 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review and I’m glad your stay with us was an enjoyable one. In relation to the lodge and hotel rooms, we do distinguish between them on our own website, and charge a little bit more for the rooms in the hotel. Perhaps this isn't as clear as it should be and I’ll look into this. By all means request a hotel room on your return and we'll do our best to accommodate you.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 22, 2011

With the Woodenbridge Hotel it is the surroundings and not just the hotel that are fantastic. The hotel is perfect for a few days stay as it is a great base for exploring the vicinity. It has the feel of a country house in the old-fashioned sense of the word. What you see is what you get in this bustling establishment that seems to do a brisk bar and food trade. Do not expect the antiseptic luxury of a chain hotel, but instead the real character of a slightly lived-in local hotel which exudes a centuries-old history and in its hillside location is almost merged into the local surroundings. We had a great meal in the restaurant, enjoyed a good local atmosphere in the bar and had a hefty breakfast the following day. Our room was appropriate to the standard of the hotel and the bed was good. Our only strong concern was the very low level of sound-proofing between rooms and between rooms and the corridor (we were in the main portion of the hotel) which meant we heard more than we bargained for as regards the behaviour of our fellow guests. On the positive side, the view from our room was superb. This was our second time at the hotel and as on a previous occasion my wife and I wanted to spend more than just one night here. Hopefully we will have a chance to return soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Harry_Callaghan
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback from you recent stay with us. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay, and in particular the character of the hotel, as we believe this to be one of our strongest points. I take on board your points regarding the sound proofing on some of the older rooms and it is something I will look into.
Thanks for taking the time to review us, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
dublin
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Just a short distance outside Dublin City, but in a world of peace and quiet, where courtesy and respect is the norm. The facilities range from pristine and modern, to warm and 'olde worlde', — good taste being evident at every turn. Food is a little dull for the wonderful raw materials they have available, and a little flair and imagination, would not go amiss in this department. Again, lack of attention to their riverside site and gardens in general let the overall impression down.
If you want a nice clean, family run, country hotel, with good food and accommodation, to act as a base for your exploration of this beautiful corner of Ireland, you will not do better.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but Lodge would be even more quiet ,while still being convenient to main Hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I take on board the comments you have made regarding the food and gardens, and will look to see if we can improve in this area. Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed in the Hotel with a large group of family and friends, while attending a wedding on 29th July. Excellent service, friendly and helpful staff, lovely food, rooms basic but clean and adequate. Nothing was too much trouble to do for the wedding guests but the other Hotel guests were looked after just as well. Traditional old world small Irish Hotel set in beautiful location, perfect for touring around Wicklow and Wexford.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the Hotel have small balconies
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TrishKeogh
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your excellent feedback from your recent stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is apparently the 'oldest hotel in Ireland'. And still very nicely run.
The rooms could do with a fresh update, but are generally clean and nicely appointed.
We had a small balcony looking out over the golf course.
The bar/restaurant served some great food, and staff was polite. The bartender seemed very nice.
Mostly retirees we saw here on their vacation, to enjoy some golf.
Breakfast was a bit stodgy, but the service looked a bit grumpy too.
This hotel was a perfect stopping point on our way back to Dublin. We wanted to see Avoca, and Powerscourt, and it worked out perfectly.
A really beautiful area of the island.
And you can actually take a country walk here. One of the only sidewalks I saw in the whole rural countryside. Runs from the hotel to Avoca. Presumably, it was put it to accomodate all the tour buses that used to arive in Avoca for Ballykissangel. But now that we are years past that, Avoca seems to have died down quite a bit. And basks in its glory.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
gerobrien, General Manager at Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm glad it was an enjoyable one and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards,
Gerard O Brien.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arklow
Arklow Bay Hotel
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge? Share your experiences!