“An oasis of calm!”

Greenan Maze
Ranked #22 of 120 things to do in County Wicklow
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Greenan Maze is a family run open farm and visitor attraction. It is located in a beautiful part of the Wicklow mountains 6 Km from Rathdrum. Suitable for all ages. Amenities include: Full size Hedge Maze Solstice Maze Traditional Tea Rooms with all home baking Restored Farmhouse Museum Two storey Country Life Museum Extensive nature trails with treasure hunt and other surprises! Lots of Farm Animals Craft Shop "an antidote to urban living" The Irish Times
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had a fantastic day out here with my three boys (aged 5, 8 & 10).We had been there on Paddys day in our rain coats and wellies and were treated to a cosy warm stove and fantastic traditional music in the tea rooms... We were determined to come back when the sun was out! There's a lovely sense of calm from the moment you get out of the car, the farm has a charming rustic feel and the surroundings really are beautiful. theres lots for the kids to do, my boys loved the challenge of the tricky maze and the treasure hunt. Will (one of the owners) takes the small children to feed the hens a couple of times during the day which was a hit with my younger two, it would be great to have a few more animals to pet, although we did get to have a long chat to ned the donkey and the very friendly pig :-)More than anything just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere was a joy (oh and the homemade cakes in the tea room are divine...I had melt in the mouth brownies while the boys feasted on giant cookies!)...I love the fact that its a family run business... The day out was a remedy to the hussle & bussle of our city life in Dublin and we will certainly be back :-)

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I took my 12 y/o here on a little tour down east coast - we had a fantastic time getting there with the lovely views, unsure of what to expect when we got there, we found a lovely setting and very friendly staff - after having a quick chat with us the lady gave my son a treasure hunt and sent us off, which was great for him, he really enjoyed it. We did have a look around the farm and museums which were very interesting - but coming from a farm they weren't that much of a novelty - which brings me to the maze which we went to next - fantastic - being able to view from tower was very reassuring as at seven foot tall I thought my son would never get out!!!! He like most children had no problem getting to the centre after a few wrong turns and a few directions from me - after about 2.5 hrs we ate a picnic as the tea rooms were closed as it was still early in the year. I have recommended to many of my friends and if I have an opportunity to go again during the summer I will. Thanks for a great afternoon!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went on a day trip around Wicklow and found a lovely little traditional farm in the hills near Glendalough. We had the best scones I've ever tasted by the fire in their tea rooms and then got completely lost in their maze. It was at least 7ft high and we honestly spent half an hour trying to find the middle. The museums are full of old machinery and hand made tools and an old farm house with beautiful antique bottles that make you really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into life before mass production. We liked the traditional feel of the whole place. Some animals were grazing about but the place is not a pet farm and there is a lovely relaxed nature walk that we liked as it was a very easy stroll down to some quiet ponds. We enjoyed our day and thought it was a lovely day out away from the busy-ness of our city life.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We visited this farm on St.Patricks weekend and really enjoyed every minute of it. The two mazes were great fun especially the big hedge maze where the kids chased a Leprechaun and got some gold chocolate coins from his pot if gold! There was face painting and some arty projects for the kids in a cosy tea-rooms with a warm fire and an Irish traditional music group playing some good tunes. The food was hearty and home made and we really thought the place was pretty good value for money as we had a great day and the kids were delighted.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were on route between New Ross and the south side of Dublin going via the Wicklow Mountains, the daytime free on a business tour. Happy to drive through the winding lanes by satnav but came across a sign to Greenan Farm and decided to explore. Not sure how many twists and turns, numerous signs but none with distance information. Our thoughts were more towards a break for a snack than the attraction itself.

Finally arrived and discovered we could only go to restaurant if we paid entrance to the grounds too, which almost made us depart, only to realise we hadn't spotted anywhere else for many miles. My young colleague negotiated a reduction for me as OAP, but the entrance fee did seem a bit high. We found the restaurant to be good food, pleasant surroundings and great service, along with reasonable pricing.

It's probably not a place I would choose or even stopped at normally due to the number of young children around. Our exploration took us to the bottle museum which is crammed with exhibits and other old artefacts too. Whilst there is a terrific collection of items, the information is very limited, the display of items extremely poor too. It's all in an old house, so the setting fits the vast collection.

The farm museum is also full of interesting old items on two levels, mainly wheeled items on the ground floor, with weaving and looms on the upper section. The carts and machinery do have some labels on them, but there's very limited information on the item upstairs.

Both the displays I did a number of pictures, being around 70 there were many happy reminders for me, whilst I had to explain some to my mid 20's colleague. For young parents with toddlers which is what the surroundings grounds are aimed at, my impression it would be of limited appeal.

The farm animals were rather limited, a few old farm machinery exhibits outside on the way around, but no information on them. The walks in the ground you could really have done anywhere in such a rural area.

By contrast the two mazes were better signed, well presented and sure will interest some visitors. There's also an observation platform so you can keep an eye on youngsters in the hedge maze, which is good. The other maze of paths on the ground to standing stones in the middle is well laid out and attractive.

To me it seemed a strange combination of things, the collections of old objects and vintage machines are considerable, yet not well presented. To make it clinical and lose the rural charm would also be wrong. With the right inspiration and input that section alone could be created into a superb display of social history. The mix of items just doesn't seem to quite work together, especially for young families which seemed the main customers.

The walks and farm animals are too limited to be an attraction their own, whilst the mazes are good they are probably not viable without the rest. The museums could be developed into a first class attraction. My feeling was rather towards have a good restaurant by the entrance and then admission to attractions beyond.

A place with great potential, needs inspiration, fails in presentation which is quite sad.