“Welcome to Ireland”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Prescott Arizona
“Welcome to Ireland”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We arrived in wexford after getting off of the ferry from wales (Pembroke to Roslare) After finding this hotel we booked the night there. The girl who ran the reception is either a manager/owner or a very committed employee. She gave us the family room and we ate in their restaurant that night. Fantastic food very reasonable compared to what we were paying in europe and the staff were so friendly that we booked the room in advance for our last night in Ireland on the way back.
The room was large and clean and although not new (we did not want new we get enough new in the US) the hotel has tons of charm
good rates and the friendliest staff you could wish for .Also the breakfast is unbelievable!
Highly recommended

Tony Mead
Prescott Valley
Arizona USA

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank captains
Colm C, General Manager at Riverbank House Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for taking the time to review our little hotel. I am very appreciate of your kind words about our hotel and my receptionist. I sincerely hope you enjoyed your stay in Ireland and delighted we were a part of it. I am truly humbled by your kind words and used them very much to build upon. Many thanks again, Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
chicago/scotland
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We were there for a friends wedding, and although that was amazing, the quality of the rooms is really not great. The decor is old and needs to be redone, the bathroom in our room had been water damaged from upstairs and it was just painted over and not properly repaired, and even though they knew we were travel tired and asked for a quite room we were placed in a room that looked directly on to the garbage and recycling area. Scary noisy and a pain in the [--] when your trying to sleep past 7am!

There are so many other wonderful hotels and B&Bs in the area it is obvious that they survive only on the back of the weddings they have there, and it is convenient if nothing else, but taxi's are easy to get in Wexford and the bridge into the city center is not all that long to walk.

Save your money and stay elsewhere, anywhere!

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jlm2222
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for taking the time to review the Riverbank House Hotel. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as a whole but appreciate you enjoyed the wedding you attended. We refurbished all the bedrooms in 2010 and public areas in 2011 and hope should you return will find a different hotel to the one you visited in 2008. Thank you once again for your time in reviewing us. Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General Manager
Ireland, Carlow.
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Hotel cost 100 euro with breakfast(which was ok). Why hotels NEVER give a good sausage I just dont know!

No biscuits with the tea/coffee in room.

Biggest problem was the smell of sewerage, in my room.BAD.

Toilet was small. Shower was small. I could not leave my windows open as directly outside was a sort of balcony. So unsure of passers by I reluctantly closed if while i slept.

Friend of mine got a sea food chowder, said it was just OK(bar food).

The beer was ok. Price of bottle of heineken was 4.40, so normal hotel prices. Main dinner (sit down) was good. Apart from those quirks it was fairly standard, and yes you will get better for same price.

In saying that wexford is a great time for a few pints and craic, but stay somewhere else.

• Liked — location.
  • Disliked — smel of sewerage in room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for taking the time to review our little hotel. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations but can only assure you each point you raised has been looked into to see how we can improve. Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General Manager
Dublin
Reviewed October 3, 2007

I have stayed in this hotel many times but have only finally gotten around to writing a review now.

Th hotels location is excellent, just across the river from the main town and the views from the breakfast room in the morning are an excellent way to start your day. The bar food on offer is both extensive and excellent but the bar is *extremely* busy at the weekends so if you plan to eat it would be no harm to reserve a table. The hotel also features a restaurant which although i didn't eat there other members of my party said was again, excellent.

The hotel itself is quite small and the corridors do feel a little cramped. The rooms however, while on the small side, are comfortable and clean although they do not feature a trouser press/iron (a must for me) but in fairness reception did drop up an iron and ironing board within minutes of asking. A travel cot was also made available to me immediately upon asking.

Any minus points?

- car park is ridiculously small, there is a public car park opposite the hotel which charges a paltry €2 per day but as a guest I feel I should not have to pay this fee.

- hotel tried to charge me bank holiday rates for a weekend that wasn't a bank holiday (Mothers Day). Stuck to my guns and wasn't charged the higher rate but residents beware!

- bathroom was tiny and had a broken shower rail.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for your very informative review. You mentioned a number of points we let ourselves down on and for this I apologise and assure you we continue to learn from any constructive observations made. Since your stay I am happy to say we have fully refurbished the hotel and hope if you have visited since have noticed the changes. Again, thank you for your lovely comments too, your time to write this review is appreciated. Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General Manager
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed June 14, 2006

My wife and I stayed here with our 2 year old son on the spur of the moment. The tourist office on the quayside quoted a rate of 170 euro, but when we went to the hotel they quoted 140. This was including breakfast.

I know this location well, having stayed at the campsite up the hill many times. It could not be better for somewhere "out of town". 10 minutes walk to the town. There is a municipal swimming pool and playground behind the hotel.

We were given a family room, on the ground floor. This consisted on an average size room with a double bed, single bed and bathroom.

The restaurant/bar was excellent - a varied menu, and special attention for the kids. The meal was excellent, as was breakfast the next morning. Staff were attentive and friendly.

The only concern I have mirrors another review - there is little soundproofing in the rooms, but instead of a function, we could hear people passing on the corridor during the night.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank bounty
Dear bounty, thank you for your review of the Riverbank House Hotel. Please forgive the lateness of my reply, getting around only now to replying to old reviews as was unaware we were listed on Tripadvisor in 2006. Thank you for your kind words and honest review. I do hope if you get the opportunity to stay with us again you will see the extensive refurbishment we have completed since you last stayed with us. Thank you once again and best wishes, Colm Campbell, General Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 16, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Riverbank for 2 nights in January. The hotel's location is excellent, overlooking Wexford Town from across the bay. A short 10 minute walk and you are in the centre of the small but bustling Wexford Town. The non-smoking double room was small but adequate. The bathroom door kept hitting a rise in the floor everytime it was opened but other than that everything functioned as it should have done. We reserved breakfast in our room on one of the mornings and it was delivered at the time requested. An unspectacular hotel in a lovely location near the town.

• Stayed January 2006
7 Thank ViennaVisitor
Colm C, General Manager at Riverbank House Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2014
Dear Tripadvisor reviewer, thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Riverbank House Hotel. Apologies for my extremely late reply but just wanted to acknowledge your reply with appreciation for your lovely comments. Best wishes and thank you again. Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General Manager.
Dublin
Reviewed November 20, 2005

my mother, my sisters and myself stayed here from 18th to 20th November 2005. It is a lovely hotel in a great situation, staff are very friendly and food in the bar and restaurant is very good. However there is a major problem with the noise from the function rooms. We stayed in room 205 which was directly over one of their function rooms and we were kept awake until 3 in the morning on the Friday night/Saturday morning with the noise. There is no insulation or sound proofing and our room vibrated with the band singing below, despite phone calls to the manager who promised that the function would finish at 1.30 a.m. i had to ring again at 2 before the music stopped but even then we were kept awake with people talking and singing. When we complained to the receptionist on Saturday morning we were told that everyone else had been informed that there was to be a function but no one had told us. So my advice is to check in advance if there are any functions on before you book or otherwise forget about sleeping!

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank juliefl
Dear Juliefl, thank you for your review of the Riverbank House Hotel. Albeit my reply is 8 years late, please accept my apologies, I never realised for some years that we were listed as thought we had to join ourselves. I promised myself I'd go back to the beginning and respond to all reviews from the early days.

On a positive note, as our first ever Tripadvisor review I appreciate you saying we are a great hotel in your review title. I realise there are a lot of positives about our little hotel over the years from the many reviews but must sincerely apologise for the noise you experienced. It would be standard practice to sell any rooms subject to noise only with the prospective guests knowledge, however it is clear on this occasion you were not informed and my receptionists reaction was less than satisfactory.

We have completed major refurbishment of this small function room you mentioned, a new ornate ceiling was fitted and while at this took the opportunity to insulate to a high standard, while it is impossible to eliminate all sound we continue the practice of selling the three rooms in the area 'subject to noise'. Our main ballroom is quite a way from the bedrooms and any function is completely inaudible.

I learned to appreciate Tripadvisor a few years back, to track what guests appreciate and continue to tweak and improve to exceed expectations and also learn where were sometimes go wrong and take steps to do better.

Again, I appreciate very much your review, I hope perhaps I might you someday if ever in Wexford again. Kind regards, Colm Campbell, General manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Clayton Whites Hotel
#5 of 5 in Wexford
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Best Western Rosslare Danby Lodge Hotel

Been to Riverbank House Hotel? Share your experiences!