Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Ireland
“Nice !”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had a two night midweek stay in the Whitford Hotel. We were early for check in but they had our room ready which was great. The room was small but very clean, the walls were thin, we could hear snoring coming from the room upstairs! The bathroom was clean but turning the shower on and off was quite difficult, I had to actually get out of the shower to try and turn it off using two hands, it made it difficult for my partner who has parkinsons to do this himself. The bar area was lovely and spacious, we ate the bar food there one night and it was delicious, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Breakfast again was delicious, you had a choice of continental and a cooked breakfast. Your order was taken from you and served to you at your table. The walk from the hotel to Wexford town took 25-30mins but you could get a taxi from the reception desk. All in all "A very nice stay !!"

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Have just enjoyed a short 3 day break in this hotel, and I must say that it was most enjoyable. Check in was quick and we were soon in our room, which had been upgraded to a premium room. The room was very large with a balcony, and very soft beds, so a good nights sleep was assured. The restaurant in the hotel looked as if it had been newly decorated and it was very pleasing to the eye with great detail paid to matching carpet, paint, wallpaper and curtains. The food was really excellent, and the wine list very reasonable.
The spa and pool area were all very clean and the pool and the water temp was just right.
This is a first class hotel and its location just a few KM from Wexford make it an ideal base to see all that this county has to offer.
I would certainly return again to this hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I got a good deal on this hotel with Pigsback we upgraded our room to a superior room which overlooked a housing estate. there was a small balcony with a bench on it and a spacious bathroom and bed. The Pillows were very comfortable. Loved the leisure centre, the pool is one of the nicest areas, jacuzzi was great and a good temperature, there are also sauna's to enjoy. We visited the Beauty Salon and booked massages which were very enjoyable and at a good rate. The food is amazing, the 4 course dinner in the main restaurant is so good. Well worth going for. The Drinks can be expensive but there are cheap choices, the bar food is high standard also. The only thing I didn't like about this hotel was the location, it's just off the main road and then surrounded by housing estates so there are no nice walks around or lovely scenery. It would be fine for visiting with the thought of excursions in mind. I'm the type of person who has to be doing something all the time and this hotel just doesn't have enough for me to consider it for longer then a one night stay. In saying that the one night stay was exactly what I needed, i feel refreshed and am glad I had the opportunity to go. It was enjoyable. We relaxed and swam and were pampered.

1 Thank Lisa B
dublin, ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Recently stayed in Whitford hotel on a Pigsback 2 night deal. On booking we upgraded to superior rooms for 20 euro a night extra as there were no standard rooms available. Our spacious room was on the first floor and had a balcony, very comfortable kingsize bed, flatscreen tv and tea tray. Our room overlooked a housing estate, but was quite and still felt private. Our companions had a room on the ground floor which had a little patio area. There is no lift in this hotel, so take note when booking. We really enjoyed our stay here, such a lovely feel and buzz about the place. All the staff from reception, bar, restaurant and leisure centre were so friendly and helpful. Breakfast was freshly cooked and had plenty of choice. We had dinner in the bar, everything reasonably priced and well presented. The hotel is located about 2 miles from wexford town, and is very handy for touring the area. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank reilling
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with my partner for a one night stay. We didn't know whether to pay the extra few euro for the superior room, but opted for the standard which was fine, lovely big bed, everything we could ask for. While I appreciate it is designed in an old-style fashion, the room was slightly tired with a damp patch on the wallpaper over the radiator and the ceiling had crack marks.

The lady at check-in was lovely. The pool facilities were good.

We ate in the bar The manager (Eileen) and our waitress (Aine) really could not do enough for us and I have to say the food was lovely, couldn't ask for any better.

The staff were exceptionally friendly, however with one exception. One of the barmen (Colin) was so rude on a number of occasions to us and I noticed he was rude to other customers also. Such a shame as everyone else was so polite. He should pulled aside as he is letting the hotel down.

Breakfast cooked to order.

Overall very good, would stay here again and would recommend it

Dublin
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've been coming to the Whitford now for a few years and have always loved this family run hotel just outside Wexford town. Everybody is very friendly and willing to help. I stayed there last weekend with some friends and there was music in the bar on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The atmosphere was great as people living nearby use it as their local, so it's always lively and not sterile as some hotel bars can unwittingly be. We ate in the restaurant one night and the bar on the other two. The food is excellent in both, if anything slightly better in the bar, which is unusual! Breakfast is something special too, combining both Irish and continental styles. The hotel's a little bit out of Wexford town, as I said, but there's an excellent taxi service, and no problem of course if you're driving. The rooms are basic (keys not swipe cards) but really comfortable, both in the hotel and in the adjoining lodge where I stayed on this occasion, and service is first class. There was a problem on one of the nights when the water was cut off to the lodge but they brought over jugs of water promptly and the problem was fixed the next morning. At 89e per night maybe a tad expensive but worthwhile all the same. If you like a relaxed time, and plenty of good Irish hospitality then this is the place for you. I'll be coming back!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed June 8, 2013

After getting a good deal on a one night stay for B&B we recently stayed in this hotel. When we made the booking we were told that there were no rooms except superior rooms left and that we could upgrade for €20. We decided to take the upgrade but to be honest I was very disappointed with the room. If what we had was a superior room I'm not sure what a regular room would have been like. The only 'extra' about the room was a small balcony which could not be used due to the noise from the kitchen and the pungent smell of cooking, particularly the smell of grease. The bed was two single beds pushed together which was also disappointing.

The hotel itself is fine - clean with all basic amenities. However, it is dated and has a homely vibe rather than a modern edge. There appeared to be no lift so I'm unsure how elderly people or those with buggies and children would manage? However, I am open to correction on this point.

The gym and pool were up to standard and not too busy which was enjoyable. The hotel is also in a good location for eating out in Wexford town or for visiting the beach. The nicest part of the stay was the lunch in the adjoining restaurant. The service was great and the food was very good.

I would stay here again if I got a room for good value but I would look around for alternatives before settling. I think the other reviews had the hotel too built up and we were put off by the smell and the bed in our room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not opening onto the kitchen area.