“Not to a 4 star standard as advertised”

Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband, teenage daughter and I availed of a ''2 night B& B and bottle of wine on arrival''offer in Feb 2013. I paid extra for an upgrade to a ''delux superior family room''.
The good points of this hotel are- staff are very friendly ,efficient, check in was easy and pleasant, bar staff were fast and we ate in the bar on the first night, food was gorgeous, plentiful,hot and good value,the girl who took our order was lovely and special mention to her,,( can't remember her name,she only started working there 2 weeks ago!!) but she went out of her way to accomadate us on a very busy night, breakfast was again, lovely, plentiful and relaxed, hotel was spotless and only 5 min drive into wexford town. lesiure centre is great,clean spacious and relaxing.My only problem was the room itself (Room 135)!! Our ''Superior delux'' family room was spacious, clean but we only had 2 teacups ,2 teabags, 2 glasses, 2 shampoo mini's for 3 people, no clock in room, room was very cold, heating kept going off even thou we put it on, the balcony area was covered in used cigarette butts and unuseable to us non smokers as it was disgusting, The wine was served with 2 wine glasses on 1st night but we returned next day to find they had removed the wine glasses even thou wine was unfinished!! I was very disappointed that this ''delux'' family room did not consider these small things, 3 people = 3 cups, glasses, toiletries etc!!!! also its first time I ever stayed in a hotel with no clock in the room...Weird!! overall I was disappointed I had paid 40 euro extra for my upgrade, what did I gain by this in comparison to the standard room, I don't know!!, but it was not worth it. I have stayed in ''chain hotels'' who provided plentiful toiletries, teasmade etc for a lot less money, so I advise if you taking a deal at this hotel to find out what your ''upgrade'' entails... I am disappointed with my offer, the hotel was lovely as was the food but the attention to detail let it down, I won't be returning.

Room Tip: rooms on ground floor face the car parks and main road which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Eileen F, Guest Relations Manager at Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to the four star Whitford House Hotel, we appreciate both your positive comments and your construcitive criticisms. As a direct consequence of your feedback we have met with our accommodation team and outlined your concerns, naturally they are hugely disappointed that their department has fallen short on attention to detail to you our valued guest. Please accept our sincere apologies for our omissions.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback and we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you to Whitford at some future date.

There are newer reviews for Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having seen a special deal my wife & I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The deal was 2 nights bed & breakfast with one evening meal. We arrived at the hotel, our first impressions were disappointing. Our double room was very dated with a very old bathroom. One of my wife's pet hates is no detachable shower hose! The room had none of the standard extras you would expect with 4*. No bottles of water, robes etc. There is a nice leisure centre, although a little over run with children. I think the leisure centre may be separately owned from the Hotel, explaining why it is so nice. We ate in the hotel restaurant for our evening meal, although we had to eat late as it was difficult to get an early table, not because it was busy but because the dining room is quite small, the food was only mediocre, certainly not Michelin star, but okay. Overall wouldn't recommend this Hotel. No doubt the hotel will attempt to counteract this review as they have previous others. I would say the poor reviews are more accurate about this Hotel.

A. Lynch

3  Thank Adaithai

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your reviews on trip advisor. We very much welcome your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed the Leisure Club facility which I am pleased to re-assure you is owned and managed by the Whitty family and our team at Whitford House Hotel.

Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we are committed to resolving any issues at the earliest possible opportunity. With regard to the Seasons’s Restaurant at Whitford we have just completed some extensive refurbishment work and launched our new Spring Menus, we regret that due to the nature of the Hospitality Business it is necessary to schedule building works during our off peak season. Every effort is made to prioritise our guests.

We are sincerely disappointed by your guest room comments and respectfully ask that you contact me directly on (053) 9143444 so I may confirm your guest room number. Bath robes are available on request as stated in our guest information pack.

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Eilish Whitty

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here numerous times since I was a child. Great food and service, rooms recently renovated etc. what is lovely about this hotel is returning after years to see the same friendly faces still working there. A lovely piece of nostalgia. Will always return.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Jenster30
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Got a great deal for the weekend with my wife and 2 children. 89 euros each for 2 nights b&b inc evening meal and 20 for each child b&b. We changed room twice due to the smell of paint from a front hallway being renovated and the staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable and quiet too. We used the pool which we enjoyed and the staff there were also very friendly. The highlight was the meal in the restaurant. The food was delicious and it's the sort of food you wound expect in a Michelin star Restsurant. Again the staff here were so good and professional. We had a good stay in Wexford and would highly recommend staying at the Whitfford.

1  Thank TheJellies
Eileen F, Guest Relations Manager at Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review.

Your views are extremely important to us as it is only through feedback from pro-active guests like yourself that we can hope to maintain the high standards for which the Whitford House Hotel is renowned.

I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us; we not only pride ourselves on making your stay a comfortable one but also to offer you excellent service which you experienced

I look forward to welcoming you back to Whitford House Hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We, my husband & children have just returned from a weekend stay at the Whitford House Hotel. I was eager to write a review to prevent others making a mistake. This hotels website is a clear example of photo shopping, what you see is not what you get ! On arrival our first impressions were not good. The family room we were given was a good size, the decor was very tired and in need of some TLC. The bathroom in our room was a disgrace. Although, i can over come the dated decor, I can not forgive the fact that it was grubby and missing some of the bear essentials a bathroom requires. The smell of fresh silicone for patching was evident. There is no sky TV only saorview (7 Channels). The main Hotel heating is turned off every night (even in January) you are required to regulate/ control this yourself via air-con.

The leisure centre is very nice, but has external swimming lessons on Fridays & Saturdays which makes the pool very busy with instructors shouting alot. Not relaxing if that is what you are after.
The restaurant food was good but not 4 * standard. I question the authenticity of some of the good reviews on here ??
Having stayed in many hotels by comparison this is not 4 *.
When we checked out, I spoke with the hotel owner, who was apologetic but a little unprofessional. She merely discounted the bill by a small margin proving that they are not infact true to their mission statement. Although we enjoyed our break as a family, I would not recommend this hotel, you would be better off to stay in Wexford town where you will get better value for your money

R. Kelly (Kildare)

4  Thank Youngstown-Kil

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your review following your recent visit to the Whitford House Hotel and Leisure Club. We are concerned by some of your comments as there is a suggestion that both the Hotel Photography and also the reviews on Trip advisor are in someway dishonest which grossly undermines the validity of other customer’s feedback.

We are delighted to note your telephone call logged at 2.45 am to the Night Porter resulted in the heating being switched on. Due to customer demand it is routine for the back-up heating system not to operate between the hours of 1.00 am and 6.00 am, however a simple phone call to the Night Porter will facilitate any specific heating requests), alternatively the air conditioning in the guest rooms can be operated at your discretion.

We are genuinely disappointed that the issues you raised were not brought to our attention until the presentation of your account on check out, at which point we discussed your grievances and as a good will gesture extended a 16% discount on your account. In hindsight facilitating an early check-in compromised the time scale required to prepare the guest room after a new tiled floor had been laid, hence I felt the refund was justified in this instance.

However, we will certainly take your points on board.
We are sincerely sorry that you had a disappointing stay on this occasion.

Yours sincerely
Eilish Whitty

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Had a beautiful meal at the Whitford House Hotel this evening. Very extensive and varied menu. Top quality food and service. Although the bar was very busy our order was taken very promptly and there was no delay with our food. Lovely atmosphere!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Siobhan K
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here with a pal, we went to have a relaxed weekend and got what we wanted. The hotel is family run and family orientated, the bar is lively. The live music is not geared to young people because the clientele is in the 50 plus bracket mainly, having said that we are in our 30s and had a good time watching the couples dancing becausethe atmosphere was good. The food in restaurant is great, and I don't say that easily about places but I was very impressed. Likewise breakfast was excellent, no hot buffet all is table service. Bar food was very good and plentiful. One gripe is for some reason I had to pay for my paper at breakfast on Sunday but not on Saturday? The room was bigger than I thought it would be and beds were comfy enough although we needed the spare pillows. The bathroom was clean but I can't stand a shower that you have to climb into the bath for. Having said that the shower pressure was great. Also the hairdryer was rubbish, bring your own. We got a taxi into town and it cost 9 euro so not too bad. All in all I would recommend this hotel, I had a lovely time there and would return with my partner and children or for another girls weekend.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank KarrieR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
Ferrycarrig Hotel
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown

Been to Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club? Share your experiences!