“Very Good Hotel”

Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Wexford
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a great time at this hotel. Staff were really nice and helpful and our room was spacious and lovely and also had a balcony. We did not go to spa but there is a good size swimming pool and alot of people were using it.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

A big group (35) had a wonderful time at the whitford - fantastic service - really friendly staff- nothing too much trouble - not an easy job to satisfy 35 people but the staff at Whitford did it with the greatest of ease - we will be back

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KildareRosie
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We saw a special deal on Pigsback and based on the reviews on Trip Advisor (was no.1 in Wexford at the time) decided to stay for two nights in Sept. Like another person here who submitted a review, I also thought that the photos gave a different impression of the hotel than the one which we received when staying there.

We had a standard double room, which felt dated and a little small compared to other 4 star hotels which we stayed in. It was very clean though and the carpet was new. The TV was old and very small (not the LCD which seems normal in most hotels) and was not working when we turned it on first (had to play around with the wiring for a few minutes). TVs wouldn't normally be a big issue for us, but we had phoned in advance as my husband wanted to see a particular sports event and we specifically asked if the channel would be available. It did work but wasn't the best.

There was no air conditioning and the weather was quite warm so sleeping wasn't great, even with all windows wide open (and a dog constantly barking nearby didn't help!). I think this is an issue in a lot of Irish hotels because they probably didn't think they'd need them, but in Summer months you really feel it. Even if they installed a fan connected to the light, it would be less costly for them and keep customers happy. The pillows were lumpy also.
The bathroom was spacious but the fittings were dated too. No separate shower and bath, and the shower curtain clings to you - a pet hate of mine! It was very clean though and the power in the shower was really good.
The photos show a room with a balcony, maybe those rooms are better to stay in, but I wouldn't recommend going for the standard room. It was €20 a night to upgrade.
The breakfast was ok, the first morning we'd the full Irish. Not awful but fairly tasteless. I was fairly disappointed by the scrambled eggs - out of a packet mixed with water, the type you get on a plane. For something so simple, I don't know why the chef would scrimp on those. The second morning I tried the Belgian waffle with Wexford strawberries and it was nice, very sugary, but better than the full Irish I thought anyway.
We had a carvery when we arrived and this was a similar story to the breakfast, ok but not very tasty. I'd the turkey and ham (stuffing was just breadcrumbs and no flavour) and my husband had the beef.
The bar was very busy at night but seems to cater for older crowd, with "Joe Dolan" type music. The rooms are a good distance from the bar though so noise was not an issue.

We ate in the Season restaurant on our last night and this was really good, whatever chef was cooking that night was obviously better than at breakfast/carvery. I'd the goats cheese to start (big portion and very tasty) and my husband had the chowder (plenty of fish and not too salty). The bread and pesto rolls that arrived with them were really nice. For mains we'd the steak and the Dublin prawns in pasta. Both were delicious and couldn't fault them at all. Had no room for dessert but would've loved to try a few of them! This restaurant was probably the highlight of the hotel for us.

The receptionists changed a few times while we were there. The guy on arrival was helpful, took our bags when we arrived early and gave us a local map of the town. The lady on check out was very friendly and seemed to really appreciate that we visited them. However there was another lady who seemed very distracted when I went up to the counter. I was trying to book a taxi but didn't know about the red phone at the entrance which is a direct line to the taxi company (there is no sign over it and when you pick up the phone, there's no sound at all for a minute so seems like it's not working). The receptionist made 2 phone calls while I was waiting and it seemed to be to 2 friends of hers, they weren't talking about room bookings etc! Eventually she asked her friend to hold on a minute and asked if I was ok, then explained that the red phone did work, I just had to wait. She was the only staff member that I found a bit rude, the rest all wanted to help and were friendly.
Wexford town wasn't a great place for us, was nice to see but wouldn't be in a rush back. Not very lively, and if you want a few drinks, better to stay closer to the town. Taxis were €6 during the day but we paid €9.75 one night which was a bit steep. Good base if travelling to other areas in the county. The free parking is handy and it was very easy to find the place when travelling from M11.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms with the balcony - they probably have more space and let more air in
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank missymissMeath
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights in a Superior room with my 8yr old daughter. The room was really lovely, beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was a real luxury, it was spotlessly clean and the view from the small balcony of the gardens and childrens playground was great because the hotel has some of the nicest kept gardens I have ever seen. When we arrived we found that three light bulbs in the room were not working and the balcony door was too difficult for us to open but these matters were taken care of immediately and the staff were most apologetic and helpful. We had breakfast each of the three mornings in the restaurant, the choice was fantastic and the cooked breakfast was brilliant, staff couldn't have been nicer. We ate 2 nights in the bar/bistro area and the food, staff and value for money was excellent. It was very busy from 7pm on as it appears a lot of local people eat there also but I have no complaints, atomosphere was great. We had use of the leisure centre and pool, which we used every day and it was spotlessly clean. Again the staff were fantastic. We had stayed here once before 3 years ago and I will be staying again. I have highly recommended it to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms overlooking the beautiful gardens near the leisure centre but not the one i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I have rarely come across such a friendly, helpful and professional staff as at the Whitford House Hotel. Comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant, and lively bar with music on most nights, which is popular with the locals. It also proved a good base for visiting Hook Head and the Waterford area.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Just back from a very enjoyable stay in this hotel. Booked primarily based on reviews from this site and all our expectations were met. Aim - get away from the kids to recharge our batteries.

Check in was smooth and friendly. Superior room was large, very clean and comfortable. Some of the furniture is a bit dated but I didn’t spend too long looking at it to be honest - to many other things to do. Had dinner on Friday night in the bar - very nice fresh cod, peas and chips for me and a very good looking burger, salad and chips for himself. Lots to choose from on the menu but we wanted comfort food. Service was a bit slow but that was down to the number of customers rather than staff. They kept us advised on reason for delay (large party in one room) and made sure we had our drinks topped up. Stayed on for the band - great fun! Yes the music was aimed at an older audience but we really enjoyed it and sang along to all the golden oldie tunes.

Sat had booked some treatments in the Spa next door - probably the best facial and pedicure I have received in a long time. Not often your facial starts with a back massage but it was WOW!! Apologises Debbie if I was snoring but I totally zoned out! (When they say the facial takes 1 hr it really takes the full hour and not 40 mins of treatment and 20 mins relaxing with a face mask like other salons I have visited). These treatments were excellent.

Meal Saturday night was in the main restaurant and food was lovely while service was efficient and friendly. Was planning on going into bar for night cap but we were just so full we took our drinks back to the bedroom and relaxed watching telly vowing not to eat again for at least a week and to get up early and go for a swim as the pool area looked lovely. Unfortunately looking at the pool was as close as we got (too lazy to do anything else to be honest).
Breakfast next morning was cooked to order and was served again by efficient and friendly staff.

Note: There are alot of locals visiting this hotel which says a lot about the food and atmosphere but it does mean the public areas can be busy so there is a trade off. It still has the feel of a family run hotel for those of us looking to get away from it all but when something is good you can’t blame it for being popular.

Will be back and will bring the kids this time (or maybe not....)

Room Tip: We stayed in superior room and noticed a big difference to normal rooms. If you can upgrade!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank dg_ireland
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Just back from a few nights spent down in the Wexford region. I can fully recommend using this hotel to anyone. Geographically it's just outside the town of Wexford, which makes it ideal for getting into the car for day-trips exploring the countryside. It's a great base for families and with Rosslare Harbour just a short drive away, it also works for those who want to shorten the journey before boarding a ferry.

Our room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. While our room did have a bay-window, it didn't have much of a view. Though there are rooms available that have lovely views of the hotels gardens.

The hotel does food very, very well. The restaurant has a great reputation & the meals we had there were lovely. The hotel's bar also does food but in a much more informal setting. There's pretty much something for everyone on the menu there too.

The hotel is a great hit with families and the leisure centre is one of the big reasons for this. I can say it was a big draw for me too. I certainly got my use out of the facilities here. The swimming pool is quite large though it can be busy. The jacuzzi was a favourite of mine and the sauna & steam room are fine and large, certainly compared to some I've been in.

This hotel works for me and I'll be happy to return again.

1  Thank BorisOfMunster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
Ferrycarrig Hotel
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown

Been to Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club? Share your experiences!