“Lovely hotel”

Talbot Wexford
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Wexford
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Have just recently stayed in the Talbot, Wexford on two occasions. One on business and the other with my husband and three children (11, 8 and 1years). Each time, I found the hotel staff to be excellent. Most friendly and obliging and nothing seemed to much trouble for them. The restaurant surpassed all my expectations. Having eaten in hotel restaurants for years, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the restaurant food. There was a nice choice for dinner each evening and I particulary liked the children's menu which went down a treat with my lot! The restaurant staff were great too and treated my children like any other guest and didn't dimiss them just because they were children (which has happened in other hotels). My children were made feel very welcome. A special thank you to Keith in the restaurant who made a particular effort in this regard.
The rooms were very clean and the beds comfortable. Some a little tired but overall no complaints.
I will definitely return to the Talbot and have already recommended it to family and friends.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TalbotWexford, General Manager at Talbot Wexford, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments and I much appreciate that you have taken the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.
I am so happy that both you and your family enjoyed your both your stays with us. We are extremely proud of our Oyster Lane Restaurant and I am glad that both you and your family had the chance to experience our tasty delights first hand.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Talbot Wexford again in the near future.

Dick Walsh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Just stayed 3 nights d/bb for e99 p.p . True, not a misprint. Better value not to be found anywhere. Very cold in wexford town, but not in Talbot. Food excellent,Room needed a refresh, but nothing serious .A/C worked perfectly. Good pint in bar.Good music.On nights without music try The John Barry next door for good craic& good company.
Talbot Group could teach other hoteliers how to fill a hotel in winter time.
Looking forward to stay at Talbot Carlow in March.

Room Tip: book early
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Triple Treat break with us. It really is fantastic value and we are only too pleased to be able to offer such value to our much valued guests.
I hope you enjoy your stay in Carlow, we hope to welcome you back to the Talbot Wexford again in the near future.

Corfu, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

listed my complaints in the comments card - needless to say I have not heard anything back from the hotel.Stayed there for 2 nights with a super valu deal. It wasn't even worth that money..
Had food in bar on my first night there. it was awful. so dry and bland. breakfast the following morning was no better. there was a taste of onions off the fruit salad. room decor was shabby. hairdryer fell apart in my hand. my view out the window was of cigarette butts. no facecloths in bathroom. had no sleep on 2nd night due to occupants next door locking themselves out at 4 am. walls are paper thin.was in a family room and the noise woke my baby. zero satisfaction at reception when I complained the following morning.. This is certainly not a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Fiona75189458
TalbotWexford, Manager at Talbot Wexford, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review and or filling out one of our comment cards.

The Talbot Hotel prides itself on providing excellent service standards and thus continues to attract thousands of happy guests who return to us time and time again. I apologise that you did not experience this during your stay with us and am very disappointed that your expectations were not met.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you, and ask that you forward on your contact details to me at robertmillar@talbothotel.ie so that I may discuss these issues with you directly,

Robert Millar
Deputy General Manager
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Fantastic value for 3 nights B&B with evening meal in the Oyster Lane restaurant for €99. Unbelievable but true. We booked in for 4 nights with an upgraded room and sea view where we could watch the fishing trawlers daily casting their nets and returning laden after their catch. The room was large, comfortable, quiet and spotless.
Most impressive was the team spirit amongst the staff and the customer service received. It was faultless. Everyone seemed happy, very attentive, courteous and helpful. Nothing was too much for them to make your stay the best experience you ever had.
Breakfast was continental and hot buffet served to you by the chef. Evening meals offered a variety of interesting choices, were imaginative and fine dining. They tasted delicious and yummy.
The Talbot offered entertainment on 2 evenings that we stayed however there is a lot to do and see in Wexford Town both during the day and evening.
A definite must to visit. We certainly will be returning.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room when booking if required not to be dissappointed. Certainly worth an upgrade fo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TalbotWexford, General Manager at Talbot Wexford, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us on our Triple Treat package. The view from our Seaview rooms are certainly unique and a wonderful view to wake up to.

We hope to see you again soon!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently stayed at the Talbot Hotel and while the appearance of the ground floor of the hotel is very nice I was very disappointed with the quality of the rooms and breakfast food.The bed linen was very old and not of hotel standard at all. The pillows were old, flat and dirty and the duvet cover was full of balls and again, old and had a dirty and shabby appearance.
The bathroom facilities were very poor, there was one tiny bottle of shampoo/body wash, not enough for one person let alone two. The toilet roll was almost empty and there was no spare and the hairdryer was ancient and very dangerous. It was placed right beside the sink on a long chord and was over heating as I used it, it was actually burning my hands and I couldnt hold it!
When we went for breakfast we found the amount of hot food given extremely mean. My partner was given one sausage and one tiny piece of pudding, and the vegetarian option given was a spoonful of scrambled eggs and beans, you could almost count the beans there was so few! The basket of toast we were given to share was not even two slices each. Also when we asked for a glass of ice from the barman to top up our glasses only a couple of cubes were given!
Overall I found the hotel very mean in such basic things and it did spoil the stay immensely. From the hotel website I was expecting a lot better.

Room Tip: Dont expect a lot from this hotel, particularly on the hot food breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comments. We welcome feedback from all of our guests as it helps us to maintain the Four Star standards for which we are renowned for.

As far as I am aware my colleague has already been in contact with you.

If you would like to discuss this matter further, please forward me on your contact details to dwalsh@talbothotel.ie.

Have a great weekend.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We recently had a weekend break at the Talbot Hotel. This is a lovely hotel in a great location - 5 minutes walk from the town centre - with amazing views of the sea. The staff are all extremely helpful and friendly. The rooms are very clean and spacious and well equipped - tea making facilities, iron & ironing board, etc. (Also much appreciated to find smoking rooms in a top class hotel!).
The food at the Talbot is excellent - the breakfast, the bar food and the restaurant menu.
We enjoyed great entertainment in the bar on both nights that we were there. And great value in the glasses of house wine!
The swimming pool was also lovely, and once again the staff there were friendly and helpful.
Our only complaints would be the air conditioning in our room - difficult to regulate and a bit noisy; we would have preferred radiators. Also, the key cards let us down twice - the first time immediately after check-in, which was a bit annoying after hauling our bags up to our room and then we couldn't get in the door.
All in all, we had a most enjoyable weekend in a lovely hotel, and we would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for taking the time to post you review on Tripadvisor.
I would like to apologise for the issue you experienced with your key cards.

Hopefully you will be back to visit us in the Talbot Wexford again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed in the Talbot hotel in Wexford last weekend with a group friends .
We arrived on the Friday afternoon and were made very welcome by reception staff,
Our rooms were ready on arrival and were told where to go within the hotel from the dining room
to the leisure centre even down to the entertainment that night .
Our rooms were very clean and nicely decorated , (but I felt were a bit on the small side )
The band on the Friday night were very good , The breakfast the next morning was ok (nothing special) Tea /Toast served to your table , mixed grill eggs self service then placed under a hot plate/grill .

We had dinner in the restaurant on the Saturday night as part of our package ,

The menu was good

Starters. 4 choices
Mains. "
Dessert. Trio of mini deserts
Tea/coffee

The meal was excellent, couldn't fault it very tasty ,

The wine was expensive

I would recommend a stay here in the Talbot in Wexford
Looking forward to another stay in the near future

Room Tip: Maybe check with bookings before you go that you have a good sized room ,
2 Thank Christinadore61
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to hear that both you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us at the Talbot Wexford.

We strive to offer our guests four star treatment and beyond in every area of the Hotel and I am glad that you got to experience this first hand.

And Thank you for recommending us !

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Talbot Wexford again soon.

Dick Walsh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wexford
Clayton Whites Hotel
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Talbot Wexford? Share your experiences!