“Week end in Wexford”

Blue Door B&B
Ranked #8 of 29 Wexford B&B and Inns
“Week end in Wexford”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Have bn going to wexford for years and a friend recommend the blue door abt 8 years ago come here every year now and it gets better every year great breakfast excellent host derrek spotlessly clean love it

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Stayed here for a night recently with a mate for a night away. We paid €70.00 for a Saturday night when all the hotels in the area were either massively overpriced or full and in our opinion we got very good value for money. The owner was friendly and courteous without being invading. The location is super - only a few minutes walk from the train station and all the pubs/restaurants of Wexford. The property is well maintained, albeit a bit dated. The room we got was a very good size with comfortable beds/good sized bathroom and a flat screen tv (which is more than a lot of country hotels offer !) Breakfast was absolutely superb and with a great selection. This is a well run, comfortable, homely b&b and I would have no hesitation in staying again or recommending to the value conscious traveller.

Room Tip: We got a lovely big twin room with a double and a single to the front. However, it did get very noi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Theil Rabier France
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I don't understand any of the negatives about The Blue Door.
We found it enchanting, homely and excellent value. Derrick was all charm, helpful and friendly.
His breakfasts were magnificent in clean and airy surroundings, and no small portions here!
The room was clean, and the linens were fresh and crisp. Free Wi-Fi and the large flat screen TV were a bonus. One very minor criticism was the small bathroom, but Derrick informed us that renovations are on the cards.
You have to hand it to Derrick, he is the most excellent of hosts, and even carried ALL our luggage in and out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Lovely atmospheric Georgian town house, basic enough but with lovely interesting pieces of furniture and pictures etc around the house and in great location aswell. The owner Derek knows how to cook a perfect sausage and also knows what coffee is good coffee, very helpful and respectful. Coffee and lots of lovely hot toast arrived literally two minutes after we came down to breakfast. Thanks, I cant imagine we would stay anywhere else when we visit our friend in Wexford - no depressing queueing to check out at impersonal hotel reception. Also we found parking fine on a Sat eve, arriving at 4, we found two spots just outside the door. We only had to pay for two hours until 6.30 and free on Sun but this would be different during the week.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Wexford Town is our favourite town in Ireland. We have returned there every one of the past four year, and on each occasion we have stayed at the Blue Door B&B. This is a stately Georgian house in a fairly narrow street, and it is an easy walk from Hanrahan Railways Station or the bus, even with our comparatively heavy baggage. We go back to The Blue Door because it is convenient, comfortable, friendly and well-managed. The bedrooms are large enough, and the facilities are adequate. The breakfast room has the kind of atmosphere which has often had us engaging in conversations with people at other tables. We have made friends there. My wife and I don’t eat cooked breakfasts, but we have heard very positive comments from others, and the menu looks good. The owner, Derrick Cooling, goes out of his way to see that we are well provided for. This is true of breakfast, but it is also true of our arrivals and departures, and information about places to eat and visit. I mentioned a gallery Derrick had not seen recently, so he immediately arranged to visit it. We arrived late one time, well after breakfast was over, and he insisted on providing us with a meal. And he does not allow me to carry my heavy bags up the stairs. It is good to be able to have an informative conversation which is sensitive, interested, but never interfering. The wifi system works without fiddling and intrusive use of commercial names and passwords, as in some hotels. The only drawback might be the difficulty of parking, and we do not take a car there, but I note several other guests have managed parking in Lower George Street and other car parks without trouble. I rate this B&B very highly. I consider it a very special place, and without doubt my very first choice when I can return to Wexford will be the Blue Door B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am really surprised to read such pleasant reviews about this B&B! I had read some before visiting the Blue Door and feel I was mislead!

The first thing I noticed was a musty, damp smell in the hallway. I read another review that mentioned this also. The next thing I noticed was that there were used cotton buds (ear buds) in our bin. We had a double room with an additional single bed, which were clean but the sheets had not been ironed. Our breakfast was ok, but mine didn't taste freshly made. Our breakfast table was also not clean. It had a plastic, doily type covering which had splashes from a previous meal that had not been cleaned. I found this to be really off-putting, and lazy.

All these small incidents would discourage me from visiting the Blue Door again. It may seem I am nitpicking, but small changes (an empty bin, a clean table), would have made a significant difference to our stay. It seemed as though there was only one person working the entire time we were there, perhaps it would be beneficial for them to hire more (cleaning!) staff.

Room Tip: We had room number 2, a nice large room to the front of the property.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lurgeon
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The owner is very friendly and cooks a very good breakfast. The rooms are very comfortable with everything you would expect. We stayed here the night before getting the ferry back to Wales and it was perfectly positioned - only 20 minutes from the ferry port but also in the heart of Wexford for our dinner - which we had at the excellent Yard restaurant - and for pubs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple