“Great location, lovely breakfast, very accommodating hosts.”
Review of Blue Door B&B

Blue Door B&B
Ranked #9 of 29 Wexford B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Arrived on Saturday for the half marathon on Sunday, The lads were kind enough to let us go off menu for breakfast and use the room after the run to shower etc. Would highly recommend this place for anyone staying in Wexford town. The Yard restaurant which is practically next door is pretty good too btw.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Wexford was our first stop on our Ireland adventure. We went to the opera festival. The b&b itself was charming, with very few ammenities. The breakfast prepared by Steven was delicious and set the bar high. The room was freezing, but after I asked Steven for an extra blanket he set us up with a heater. The parking is a real problem there, feeding a machine every 2 hrs. The shower was terrible. There was free wifi. For a starting point, it was fine. The breakfast and the host made it very enjoyable and we were able to overlook the other issues.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brookums71
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I first went to the Wexford Festival 31 years ago and so have seen a fair number of the hotels and B&Bs that the town has to offer. For me, the B&Bs have the edge: the town's hotels tend to be overly pretentious and do not offer particularly good value for money. For the last six or so years I've been staying at Blue Door. It's handy for everything in the town: the opera house is but five minutes walk away; the rail station and bus stop likewise; two of the better restaurants in the town (Greenacres and The Yard) are in the same street. Derek is a very welcoming host who doesn't seek to dominate his guests in the way that some B&B proprietors do. He also serves an outstanding breakfast. We've already booked ourselves in for next year in anticipation of getting the Festival tickets that we want.

The town's Georgian street pattern was not planned with the automobile in mind. Parking is a nightmare. If you can bear to be without a car, give a though to coming by public transport. The rail services from Dublin (board either at Connolly or Pearse stations) are slow but very picturesque. The town is reasonably well served by direct bus services from many of the major towns within the Irish Republic and from Rosslare Europort, Wexford's nearest passenger harbour. There are also frequent bus services direct to Dublin Airport (journey time about 2 hours 45 minutes).

For those who fancy a dip to work off some of the excess baggage gained from the food and drink (as much a part of the Festival as the opera performances), last year Wexford Corporation opened a really pleasant 25 metre swimming pool 10 minutes' walk away from Blue Door just across the bridge. The rule is 'no swimming cap, no swim', so if you do intend to use the facility make sure that you come appropriately equipped.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Freischutz
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at the Blue Door B&B on October Bank Holiday weekend. We really had a great time! Very reasonable rate - Excellent Service - Staff are friendly and very helpful. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marie M
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I recently stayed two nights in the Blue Door B&B. The owner, Derrick, was very helpful. He helped me with my bags and gave me good information on restaurants in the town. Derrick made a wonderful breakfast, it was a great start to my day. The B&B is in a brilliant location, it is so close to all the small boutiques and other shopping outlets, only a few minute walk away. The B&B is spotless, the room was a nice size and very comfortable, I had a spectacular view from my room and an amazing night sleep. I love the various artwork around the house, My favourite being the Cow just as you walk through the front door. I recommend this B&B and I will definitely be going back for another weekend soon.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aisling N
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I would like to thank you for your hospitality, I wanted a nice friendly place to stay as I recently had a bereavement in the family. You were so nice and understanding to my circumstances and welcomed me more like family than a guest and I thank you for that. I love your style in the bedrooms very relaxing atmosphere. I will definitely be back when the weather gets better maybe in the New Year. I really enjoyed the shopping in Wexford town just loved the amount of shops you have there. One thing I regret is I forgot to get a photo with you when I was there. I seen other guests getting one taken with you when I arrived at your door. My children really enjoyed their stay also.
Thanking you :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I don't understand how these other reviewers had such a great experience here. When we entered, there was a bad, musty smell and it was very dark. The kitchen looked a mess. Our room was dark, a view of the equipment on the roof next door, seemed dank, and the bathroom was small and not very clean (we are used to tiny bathrooms). We saw no staff, and usually ask owners where to go for dinner, etc. I wouldn't take a shower there and we didn't stay for breakfast. When we told Derek our stay wasn't very pleasant, he replied "that's okay". I would never recommend this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple