“Great Spa - OK Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Ross
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Spa - OK Hotel”
Reviewed February 4, 2008

I have just returned from this hotel after spending a weekend with my husband and parents. I had previously stayed there 2 years ago with some girlfriends and always said I would go back.
Since my first visit, they have built a beautiful spa with some lovely features ie. very large outdoor tub which is heated to 36 degrees - really lovely experience bearing in mind that it was only 4 degrees outside with light rain and we felt so warm in the water! My Mum and I also had hot stone massages which were great. My best recommendation was the foot ritual which I would definitely have again.
The hotel itself is an old house converted into a hotel and unfortunately I dont remember it being shabby the last time I was there but it is now........... Just little things like marks on the upholstery of the seats in restaurant and bar, paint chipped of door frames etc. They were also very understaffed but bearing this in mind all of the staff, although very busy, were very pleasant. This is definitely not a staff problem but a management problem. Both mornings at breakfast there were no bowls for cereal and no plates for the bread - all were got as soon as we asked but surely we should not have to ask. Also at the hot food counter, we had to wait for eggs, hash browns and eventually we were told they would be brought over to us which they were 5 mins later. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was good but once again no spoons on the table. It is obvious that the staff are run off their feet and therefore do not have the time to keep checking items that need to be replenished.
The bar is laid out with nice armchairs and a lovely big fire was lighting all day. The staff both in the spa and the hotel were very friendly and the location is only 20 minutes from Waterford city for some nice restaurants & bars. The hotel also has a leisure centre with pool and jacuzzi etc.
Overall we had a lovely stay and were all totally relaxed after the spa. I will probably return to this hotel but would hope that they invest in a few more staff & a decor overhall.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — Lack of Staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Dublin
Reviewed November 21, 2007

This hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed in. I am very surprised at the good reviews here. We stayed for a weekend and met three other couples who were not a bit happy either. It is so bad that we phoned other hotels in the area to see if they had any availability. The rooms are old and dated. They are clean but the bathroom didn't even have a hand towel and barely any toiletries. We could hear people next door going to the toilet and every word of their conversation! We had booked treatments in the new spa and were looking forward to relaxing there only to find out that unless wse spent €100 each we had to pay a further €35 each to use the spa facilities, a complete rip off for guests. The staff in the spa were very friendly but we have had better massages. The leisure centre was not at all invinting for a couple with children having swimming lessons. The food in the restaurant was dire from start to finish. We were not the only ones to complain this night and the inadequate staff and management only made matters worse. My rack of lamb was mutton and a greek salad in the bar the next day came in a poppodom! Need I say any more. The staff at reception were totally clueless from check in to check out. All in all we could not wait to leave. It is a complete kip and I have only touched on the surface.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank niadan
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed October 15, 2007

Stayed at the Brandon House Hotel for 2 nights in early September 2007 with my wife and 9 month old daughter. We had booked the hotel over the internet and asked for a double room and a cot for our daughter. When we arrived, the room was ready and the cot was set-up waiting for us. Room (on the ground floor) had all the essentials (TV, Tea & Coffee, Iron) and everything was in working order. I would have ideally liked the room to be a bit bigger, but it was adequate. The decor was fine and the bed was comfortable. The room was serviced during our stay. The staff, particularly at Reception, Breakfast & Dinner were very friendly and went out of their way to make a fuss over our daughter, who loved the attention. The staff in the bar could do with a bit of organising - people were waiting to be served for too long - and this was when the bar wasn't busy. The Breakfast is buffet style, is plentiful and the food is good. High chairs are available for small children. We had dinner in the restaurant on our second night. The food was very good and the service prompt & friendly. Sofa seating is available beside the reception area, which is just outside the bar. This is a peaceful area for families who want to relax and have a drink away from the hustle of the bar. The pool was a good size and clean. It wasn't busy when we used it (Sunday afternoon). Check In / Out was hastle free. Overall, we found this a family friendly hotel, with a relaxed atmosphere, serving good food with friendly staff (particularly the foreign staff). We will definately return to this hotel.

• Liked — Relaxed Atmosphere, Friendly Staff, Leisure Facilities.
  • Disliked — Dis-organised Bar Staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
ireland
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Nice three star hotel located just outside the town of New Ross. It would only be a ten min walk into the town.
Staff were all very nice and helpful. Check-in was smooth with no problems. Room was large - king sized bed, couch, table and chairs. A bit dated as regards decor but spotlessly clean. There are no elevators in this hotel and we had to go up two flights of stairs, room was quite far from the lobby .
Ate dinner in hotel on the first night, was told we would have to wait 20 mins but we had a table within 10. Food was very nice, good selection and the staff were lovely.
Breakfast was also good, buffet style. There was only a few people in the dining room when we went in but I imagine it could get very busy and its a small area.
The sound proofing of the hotel bedrooms is not as good as I would expect, you can hear people talking in the corridors and the tv in the room next door. Having said that it didnt really disturb me too much though.
Tried out the spa, nice new building and again all the staff were very nice. Didnt get to try the leisure centre.
Ate in the italian restaurant in new ross (il primo ?, beside xtra vision) and the pizza was good!
Overall i was pleased with the hotel and would stay there again if I was in the area.

• Liked — friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — slightly dated bedroom decor
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed August 18, 2007

We a family of 5 stayed in the Brandon HOuse Hotel in the end of July. From start to finish, our stay was most enjoyable. The staff were extremely friendly, and always very helpful. The rooms were well serviced and spacious.I Loved the idea , that all bedroom , had thier own Ironing facilities. There was a great choice of food at breakfast and dinner.( A little pricey for the dinner perhaps). The swimming pool was spotless at all times. I would highly recommend the above to any body, you likes peace and tranquility, while touring the south east. Staff give your self a clap in the back, for a job well done. Management you should be proud of your stafff.

• Liked — Very spacious, and lovely views.
  • Disliked — Steps to the bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2007

This hotel was a real disappointment - I can't believe it has a 3 start rating. The rooms were very dated and decor in bad need of updating. The bathrooms were similar. We ate in the bar on the first night and the food was only alright. Breakfast was a totally disorganised affair on the Saturday - so much so that we ordered room service on the Sunday. The meal was much better in the Restaurant on the second night but still not one of the better meals I have had. I didn't find the bar / foyer area very relaxing at all. I went down to the Leisure Centre and found the equipment really old and dirty and I didn't bother venturing into the pool. All in all the hotel is fine if you're looking for somewhere to lay your head but if you are looking for a luxury weekend break - look elsewhere !

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed February 24, 2007

My husband and I recently stayed in the Brandon House Hotel in New Ross, it was our second time staying there and I do not think I'll be going back again. We stayed there a number of years ago and found it delightful, but that was before their lesiure centre was build. We returned because we had enjoyed a lovely get away from it all break then but oh boy were we in for a suprise....the place was hopping, but not in a good way, because the staff were unable to cope with the crowds of people, and the millions of kids. We stayed for 2 nights and while the room was fine the changing rooms in the leisure centre needed a lot of attention they could have done with a good clean. The food in the restraunt was excellent but the staff were run off their feet this may account for the fact that they were a little gruff and unfrendly. We were in the dining room early but some of the main courses were finished which left a limited choice. On Saturday night the place was packed because of a number of functions which made the bar area a little crazy. For me it was far from relaxing. If you are thinking of trying this hotel go midweek becuase the limited number of staff may be better able to cope. One point I need to make is that the local staff were the most unhelpful, while those from foregin lands were the more professional and friendly. I came away feeling dissapointed because the hotel has a lot to offer if it were managed better and could be a great place to stay while you discover the South East.

• Liked — lovely food and nice location
  • Disliked — not enough staff and too many children
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
#4 of 5 in Wexford

Been to Brandon House Hotel? Share your experiences!