“Overrated”

Brandon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in New Ross
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Stayed in this hotel recently at a function. It's only ok. The room we were in was quite close to reception so everyone passed from the bar, going to bed etc. Also smokers outside the front door of the hotel (looks terrible btw) could be heard from our room. We had to have the window open as the room was so hot but had to close it when sleeping as it opened so wide, and we were on the bottom floor, anyone could have climbed in! Reception staff were pleasant, as were the waiting staff. Staff in function room bar so slow it was incredible. We didn't eat the breakfast a woke too late but friends told us it was ok. Thought the cost of room for night was v. Expensive for what u get. I have no problem paying for nice hotels, but thos isnt worth it. Also had suspicious itchy spots on us the following day, I can't definetivly blame the room as in fairness it seemed very clean but it's questionable. Hotel Only ok. V expensive for what u get.

• Stayed: April 2011
bettiemarie, General Manager at Brandon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

Dear Mopsydopsy

As we continuously strive to improve the hotel, even through these difficult times, it's with distress that I read that you did not enjoy your stay to it's fullest, and felt that we were over rated. Most of our reputation rests on our food and genuine customer service, and I am delighted that you felt we did not let you down in that department.

However, that does not distract from your other points. Unfortunately we built a designated smoking area opposite the ballroom two years ago, but are battling to get our regular guests, especially when attending functions, to part with old habits, and hope that in time they will use the area provided, instead of the front of the hotel ( not to speak of us having to clean our flower beds everytime).

You were clearly allocated a room too close to the "hubbub" of things, and we do have very quiet rooms at the other end of the building. My sincerest apology.

As for the expense, it is very difficult for more traditional hotels to compete with new and modern hotels that were more recently built. We have a staggered refurbishment plan in place, and have already refurbished 14 family rooms. This is an ongoing process, and I do not hesistate to say that our cleanliness cannot be questioned.

When being compared to new hotels some might feel that we are missing "the modern extras". Hence you might feel we are too expensive, however we meet with all four star requirements as laid out. I hope your lasting memory will be of the wonderful team I have the honour of working with, and that the friendly faces all around will be the overriding memory of your stay. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where we can improve, and be assured that we will do our best. Regards Bettie-Marie

Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I had our wedding reception here 4th December 2010, during the worst spell of weather the south-east has ever seen. The hotel staff were ever so helpful to us and our wedding party, nothing was too much trouble. Greg, who was our dedicated wedding co-ordinator, made sure that everything ran smoothly, went over and above the call of duty regarding my Christmas decoration obsession, and made it a day to remember for us and our guests. The food was beyond criticism, as was the service. I would thoroughly recommend this venue for anybodys wedding. Thanks again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank WexfordLizzi
Reviewed November 1, 2010

From our original contact we had a very positive feeling for the hotel including an immediate offer to upgrade our elderly parents to a superior room in a very quiel part of the hotel as they were celebrating their golden wedding anniversary. All staff members we encountered over the weekend stay were pleasant and helpful. Loved the extensive art collection in the reception rooms. Children really enjoyed the leisure facilities-essential for a wet October weekend and the food in the restaurant was tasty, well presented and very good value. Took a trip to Hook Head lighthouse, did the guided tour and found this to be excellent.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank alivealiveo
Reviewed October 9, 2010

just home from a break at the brandon house hotel and i must say it was most enjoyable
the staff we re welcoming and friendly the room was spacious and warm the food was gorgeous whatmore can i say except that we are already planning a return trip

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank CorkCityTourer
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed here with a 14,11 and 7 year old.

In general it is an adequate hotel but has little to make it stand out.

The 3-legged cat that hangs around outside gave a bit of amusement to the children.

Padraig O'Dea
Eaton Square
Monkstown

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have just returned from 3. nights in the Brandon House Hotel in New Ross. I have walking problems and sometimes have to use a wheelchair. I had booked a superior room and when I asked which floor the room was on( they do not have a lift) - was told that all superior rooms were on the 1st floor, and I can manage one flight of stairs, I said that would be ok.

Upon arrival however, I discovered that the room was miles from the stairs - 2 long corridors - one of which has 3 very stiff fire doors, & the wheelchair could hardly squeeze into. I could have changed to a ground floor room, but this was much smaller than the one on the 1st floor.

Disabled parking was also a problem. The car parks were large, but there were only a couple of disabled bays, and because of the positioning of these - it was almost impossible to get wheelchair out or in. We complained about this, but the receptionist didnt know why they were like that. Like all hotels, their websites rarely even mention their policy towards disabled access- its all about spas, leisure centres, and beautiful locations. Why do they do this? Dont they know that they have some responsibilities reagarding Disabled access?

Apart from that - the hotel was ok - and was packed with babies. toddlers, and older children. There was a notice saying that no children were allowed in the bar after 9.pm. But every night, there were numerous in the bar - some of whom were only 2-3 - running through the bar well past midnight and bedtimes - stilll screaming , & ignored by parents. Dinnner was ruined by the noise - I would never go back there during school holidays again

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We arrived to a very busy hotel however, the hotel receptionist was very efficient and had us booked in to our rooms in a timely manner. The food in both the restaurant and the bar was excellent. The choice on the childrens menu was very good and well priced. The hotel was quite busy but had plenty of activities on offer for young children. The only downside to our stay was that we had rooms on the ground floor which was a bit noisy during the evening and personally I would have preferred a room on the first floor where maybe there would be less activity. However, the rooms are spacious. The staff were extremely helpful and good at there jobs. I would recommend this hotel based on the service of the staff, food, and facilities. This hotel is a good base to use if you are travelling around Wexford sightseeing.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Lyrath Estate Hotel & Spa
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
Faithlegg House Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Brandon House Hotel? Share your experiences!