“Lovely old fashioned country house hotel with great service”

Botleigh Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hedge End
“Lovely old fashioned country house hotel with great service”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have just left this hotel after staying for four days whilst on business and I wanted to write a review having read some of the negative feedback that has been left. The first thing I would say is that if what you are looking for is an anonymous hotel room and all that comes with it, then this is not the place for you. The place has a very homely feel with extremely warm and genuine service. I was very impressed by how service was always with what appeared to be genuine rather than plastic smiles. No surly atitudes from anyone I encountered. I would remind everyone who visits to manage their expectations of fixtures and fittings etc in accordance with what this hotel costs. My impression was that if you make a reasonable request, the staff will do their best to meet it. That said, there is bags of character and a lovely terrace overlooking grounds where I strolled around a mini lake with ducklings who seem quite tame as they came up to me as I meandered around. Wonderful for photos for a wedding reception if you are getting married I think. There was also a lovely wooden panelled ante room with sofas for you to sit and read or have a drink in before you enter the dining room as well as the bar area leading onto the terrace. I did not eat a lot of food there but what I did was very good. There is a kettle and tea/coffee so you can have a drink in your room if you wish. I noted that I had no problems with morning wake up calls or the hotel booking taxis for me every morning which were always on time. All in all, a most enjoyable stay and a place that I would recommend.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We came here for our wedding anniversary today! The hotel is looking a little tired, nothing a lick of paint wouldn't solve however the grounds were well kept and it was very peaceful! The spa was a nice treat and had prepared our towels in the lockers ready which is a nice touch, good facilities (powerful hairdryer and straighteners) and everywhere was scrupulously clean. The afternoon tea had a nice selection of sandwiches all fresh and ample for both of us even though we hadn't had breakfast. The tea and coffee was hot and the staff were so accommodating nothing was too much trouble and even though waited a few mins for the food (no time at all) we were offered refills etc for the wait and the member of staff made a very good impression and checked whether we were happy a number of times which goes along way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here on 30th June for one night on a cruise and stay package which cost £165 for bed & breakfast and up to 21 days parking. I had seen the hotel from a distance as i drove past in April and found the offer online. The hotel is tired in places but the new owners seem to be trying to update the areas. all of the hotel seemed to be very clean. All of the staff were very friendly and all the ones i spoke to were locals. Breakfast was hot and tasty and the restaurant had been refurbished. I will stay there in the future if the same offer is available as i will sail up to 5 times a year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We received a friendly welcome at the Spa and found the team there helpful. Unfortunately the afternoon tea with Champagne served as part of the voucher did not meet expectations. We appreciated that the restaurant and garden were busy during our visit, but still waited 40 minutes from first receiving part of our food until being served our tea. We found the veggie sandwiches uninspiring and stale, the cakes bland and dry and were served mouldy strawberries. The manager was accommodating and provided us with a replacement and complimentary drink, but I feel that if you had just visited for high tea and paid £19.95 you may come away feeling disappointed. We still made the most of the day spending time in the grounds and found all of the staff we spoke to friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
preston
Reviewed July 15, 2013

On arrival we were greeted with upwards of 300 people milling in the car park. It turned out that the young people in their Fancy Dress were attending their Prom Evening. The kids looked fantastic and their behaviour was a credit. Parking proved a little problematic due to proud parents, Hummer Limos and Horses and Carriages taking all the spaces but hey whats the problem? Once inside the hotel is charming and ful of character. Certainly the four poster bedroom was a bonus. The evening meal was delicious and the service by the Owner Mo was first class. Breakfast next day was equally as good and the service by the polite and courteous Quincy was again first class. All the staff especially the girls on the front desk were polite and cheerful. All in all I would recommend this hotel either for Leisure or Business, and I look forard to staying there again soon.

Room Tip: Luck of the draw
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a very pretty hotel set in lovely grounds.

The room and common areas are clean and pleasant, and the whole place has a relaxing feel.

The leisure traveller will enjoy staying here; it's reasonably priced and very laid back.

For the business traveller however there are a few caveats. Breakfast doesn't start until 0700, which is too late for many of us, although the food is very nice.

The rooms lack air conditioning, so if you're at the office all day you come back to an oven which takes some time to cool.

However you can spend that time on the very pretty rear terrace with a nice glass of red, or in the [very good] restaurant, so not too much of an issue.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I attended a wedding here on 8th June. The wedding venue and layout was faultless, the wedding organiser was great. everything run to plan and cannot be criticised. The after dinner was great and good quality. The hotel is a little dated and needs a re-vamp. The beds are soft and getting to my room was a bit of a mission with small corridors etc. But, this is an old place and you have to accept that i guess. The grounds are lovely. I did not use the SPA but some guests did and they said it was very good. The breakfast next morning was very nice and plentiful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New Place Hotel
#1 of 1 in Shirrell Heath
Meon Valley Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7

Been to Botleigh Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!