“one to avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 23 Waterford B&B and Inns
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“one to avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

we too stayed in this place on a Hen package deal. I have never written a review about any place but i had to make an exception for Rice.

The rooms were bright orange, the reception was dull, the staff were grumpy, the parking is way down the orad and all 3 parties managed to park in thre wrong car park and were locked in on the Sunday. We were down in time for breakfast to find they only served fry-ups and white bread and nothing else. Even the orange juice was off. It is in a really run down area, not great for walking home from the pub.

It was soo bad we just laughed at how awful it was. Picture Fawlty Towers in Ballymun.... thats this place.

Room Tip: juyst dont go here, if you are on the Hen package deal, opt out !
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Clare D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed in this guesthouse for 1 night for a hen party. Thankfully the accomodation had no bearing or effect on the hen party festivities...

This was the accomodation included as part of an overall package which included B&B, a make up class, dinner, entrance to a club with champagne on arrival and a shot. All in all the package was very good value at €99 for one night or €140 for two nights. But the accomodation was a disgrace.

I was checked in by a friendly enough woman who gave us our key and told us that check out was 12pm and breakfast would be served until 9am. I wasn't overly excited about the checkin area but I thought once it was clean sure I wouldn't be in the room for long. I was sharing a double room with a friend.

We walked up to the first floor and were greeted by a cramped hall way and a bit of a funny smell. On entering the room, we found that it was tiny. There was a dressing table, single bed and double bed in the room. There was barely enough room to walk between the beds. The sheets on the beds looked about 100 years old. The curtains in the room looked like somone had gotten a big piece of gold material, sewed about 6 loops into the top of it, hung it on a pole then cut it up the middle.

There was an ambipur air freshner plugged in which helped with the bad smell.

The bathroom was a horror. The shower was filthy. There was scum and dirt all over the tray, in between the shower doors and around the tiles. There was an open and used hand soap on the sink. The light over the mirror looked like it was installed in the year 19 oh splash.

On examining the room, myself and my friend dropped our bags and ran from the hotel to find somewhere clean and comfortable to have something to eat and ponder our choices! We found a lovely hotel in the town called the fitzwilton that had a nice clean bar and restaurant and was only €29 per person for the night. As tempting as it was, we didn't check in there because we were on a hen night!

I think the weekend may have been booked through www.henparty.ie.

The bar did give the hen organisers a little private area for to play games and allowed them to provide their own champagne and drinks etc which was nice. They also did continue serving in the residents bar long after closing time, which was also good.

We were woken at 9.45 by housekeeping banging on the door and trying to get in. I actually thought it was one of the other girls on the weekend having a laugh, I mean seriously, this room hadn't seen a hoover since the carpet was laid! But when she walked into the room and disturbed us I realised it was no joke. We told her that we were not ready to leave yet but we were told it was time to clean the room. We just got up, got dressed and ran from the place.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who likes to stay in a clean place. it was not clean, it was outdated and overall, not an enjoyable experience.

I can't say what the food was like as this was a hen party and the breakfast finised at 9am I didn't get up for it. Plus, the room was so dirty I was terrified to think about the kitchen.

Room Tip: This is perfect if you are literally planning on doing nothing but sleep. if thats your plan I would...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Rachel O

Travelers are raving about these Waterford hotels

wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

just got back from this guest house after staying there for the rugby weekend we could not had a better weekend if we had stayed in a 4 star the rooms were tidy the breakfast was exellent we were made so welcome by the staff and everybody that was there we had such a good time we will be returnin g to this guest house and thanks to everybody that made us so welcome ian and cheryl

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cindy07wales
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2012

First off if you plan on staying here sober and have standards such as being treated as an adult, do not stay here. If your in a stag or hen party and plan on being drunk the entire time then who cares right? I have never seen such an involved and comically retarded owner. This guy was knocking on doors checking on who's doing what and was constantly redfaced and angry. His employees were VERY nice people, a family who worked there who believe him to be stupidity incarnate. They were recommending I stay elsewhere as soon as possible, they felt sorry for me. If you arrived 10 minutes before the end of breakfast, you got angry glares and stares from the owner. Are you attempting to have a drink at the public bar downstairs and perhaps make a friend or more? Not happening on his watch. If he can't be happy no one can. The owner keeps an eye on anyone and whom they are speaking with. The manager attempted to stop me from leaving the hotel a day early so he could have a word with me and apologize. He then ran outside and attempted to apologize again and shake my hand and I simply told him that apologizing for ruining my stay doesn't help when I am leaving. He needs to sell this place and stop playing hotel owner.Not one single person in the 5 days I stayed there enjoyed their stay that I spoke with. The hotel rooms were in horrible disrepair as well and the owner knew none of the faucets in the building worked but he let the guests stay in those rooms anyways, who needs hot water right? Anyways, this place is a dump. Stay here if your desperate and drunk. It's close to the bars but then again, everything is close to the bars in Waterford.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Fawlty Towers hasn't got a patch on this place!! Though if you like green you're in luck - green walls, green carpet, green doors (yes! just like the colour of a barn! inside and out!) and green tiles. We ended up staying in this place as part of a hen party weekend - I am surprised they actually keep places like this on their books but I suppose they dont really care.The rooms were tiny with as many beds shoved in as they could possibly get. The curtains may not as well have been there. The 'wardrobe' consisted of a single bar between two walls where you could just about hang something up. The bathroom had horrific green tiles on the walls and a few odd coloured ones mixed in where some had fallen off the walls. The shower was filthy and you would actually be afraid you would catch something off it. In the room, there were light fittings with no bulbs in and to top if off the inside of the door was equipped with a large shooting bolt lock so you could lock yourself in!! Which we were glad enough to have since there were people roaring and screaming around the corridors at all hours! I have to say the staff were pleasant there and were obliging in calling taxi's and the like. But we were all glad to get out of there at the end of the weekend. Never ever again and never ever would I recommend this place to anyone

Room Tip: If green is your favourite colour then this is your place!!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DublinGenie
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed at the Rice Guest House from 20 Sept for 4 nights.
We were given a room on 1st floor right above the front door and did not hear anything from the bar at night. Although the lights on the outside of our room were on all night and not having lined curtains, it did let the light in, but that did not spoil our stay. Nice size bathroom that was cleaned everyday.
Parking is not a problem, they have allocated spaces behind the guest house free of charge.
Breakfast was great and always served with a smile and a joke from the Betty (I think that's her name), she also serves behind the bar and does some of the cleaning, she is an asset to the guest house with her wit and humour. The guy that seemed to be on reception alot was very helpful with directions to all the sites and again had a very friendly attitude.
Although Ireland was expensive, if I was to go back to Waterford, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Salford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

Just spent a brilliant week at the Rice House, great place to stay, friendly management and staff, good entertainment and late bar, a great place for people whoi like to enjoy themselves, good breakfast, tea and coffee making facilities in the room, plus tv and hairdryer. Looking forward to next visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple