“Great VFM”
Review of Fitzwilton Hotel

Fitzwilton Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We stayed in this hotel on a Sunday night and must say, contrary to some of the reviews, found it to be very quiet and peaceful. The hotel has recently been built and has thus new and modern furinture and fittings. It is in ecellent decorative order throughout and immaculately clean, contrary to some of the reviews, which I believe may be from some of the other seedier establishments. WE have stayed in this hotel before and found it excellant value for the price. The restaurant in the hotel was very quiet but the evening meal and breakfast were superlative and well worth having. There are tea/
coffe making facilities in each room and the room contained one double and one single bed. It was clean and very modernistic though not minimilistically furnished.

The hotels location is approx a twenty minute walk from the night clubs and noiser part of town but at no stage did we feel intimidated
or nervous whne returning to our base. The only downside is that the bar area is very quiet in the evenings but beautifully appointed.

This hotel is the best value for money in the Waterford district and we both look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jonnyboyok

Reviewed July 28, 2007

Myself and my partner stayed in the Fitzwilton and both of us agree that it is not a hotel we would return to. We got a great deal online and to be honest i would be disgusted if we paid any more for our stay. After a 3 hour drive we had to find our own parking on a side street as the car park was full. On arrival to reception i have to say the receptionist was very friendly and pleasant. However, there was a very strong smell of fish in the reception area which is very off putting, obviously the kitchen is close by and whatever is cooking is carried in to this area.

I am amazed that this hotel is considered a four star. For being a relatively new hotel i wasn't impressed by the decor. Already there are signs of shabby and old looking carpets and furnishings. To cut a long story short we requested to change to another room after arriving to the first one due to the stench in the bathroom plus the pubic hairs which were gathered in every corner of the bathroom. I was horrified! Our second room wasn't much better to be honest. Still hairs on the bathroom floor but the smell was not as pungent. Also for a non-smoking room it stank of smoke and the wall outside the window was used to stub out cigarettes as it was covered in black ash. Although there was a double and a single bed only one cup was provided with the tea making facilities. Feeling unconvinced with the general cleanliness i washed the cup and wiped it with a towel, the amount of dirt that came out of the cup was appalling. The glasses provided for your toothbrush in the bathroom were absolutely filthy, it was like they hadn't been cleaned in 6 months. The stopper in the sink was broken so I had to physically pull it out myself to wash my face so it wouldn't overflow. I could go on and on about the dirt of this hotel. Every ledge had a layer of dust on it and i certainly kept my socks on when walking around.
I had no intention of availing of breakfast as i was left with an uneasy feeling in my stomach after all the cleanliness issues.

I know Waterford well and will definitely stay elsewhere for my next visit. I have stayed in much better and far cleaner 3 star hotels.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AmberlyKildare
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I really enjoyed staying stay at this hotel during my holiday in Ireland. The hotel is very clean and very well maintained and located near the city centre. I found the room very comfortable and the staff very friendly. I was particularly impressed with the staff - especially Bala who was very helpful to me in sorting out a rental car and a map of the locality. He made my stay in the hotel a really enjoyable experience and showed the true meaning of Irish hospitality. I hope to return next year for another holiday in Ireland and will definitely stay in this hotel.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank americanirish2008
Reviewed July 26, 2007

Picked the hotel from the website and some reviews. It's new, and well appointed in the main areas. Rooms are a little cluttered. Room cleaning is indifferent, but everything worked.

Restaurant acceptable, but you should consider dining elsewhere if possible.

Location OK if you know your way around Waterford. Close to the bridge and 1 block from the Quay. Not the sexy part of town, a fair walk from the central square, and could be a little intimidating walking home at night for families and women.

Hotel seems to pitch to the business trip crowd and party groups rather than families or couples. Receptionist incorrectly billed my card on check in, thinking that we were on some business deal (actually a family on holiday with 3 teens).

Inadvertently left some items behind. Great difficulty with retrieval, mainly due to poor staff communication and systems. Only really got satisfaction after contacting general manager (very helpful). Other staff mostly not Irish, not focussed and not well trained or supervised.

Waterford has not really managed to re-invent itself yet. There is little of interest in the city after you've been to the factory. There is nothing about this hotel which would induce me to go back.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Elliot_Paspalt
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Stayed in hotel for a 3 night special and left after the first. The hotel is on a very busy road in what seems like a dodgy part of town. My husband and I did not feel comfortable walking back to our hotel even during the day. Overall hotel is very modern looking but lacks the service of a 4 star. More suitable for stag and hen parties but not for tourists. I would never return to Waterford city but the surrounding towns are much better.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank BelfastSue
Reviewed July 15, 2007

Arrived at hotel for check in, first impression of building was modern and stylish. But an immediate problem jumped up..the area to park! Not nearly enough parking spaces for such a large hotel! Recepionist was not very welcoming at all, not even a hello and welcome...Just..... "Checkin in yea?"

Hotel room seemed clean and comfortable, but we noticed a door in room leading to another room, for large families(I was with my girlfriend) just the two of us, why put us in a room like that? Ordered a meal to room as we arrived late and where very tired, this meal i have to say was very nice and we both enjoyed it!

First night was restful and went undisturbed...that was until about 8 in the morning the couple in the room through our door in room sounded like they were sat next to us eating breakfast and talking, very loud and only becasue these doors werent solid. We made a complaint and asked kindly to be moved, which was fine and they moved us no problem. New room was worse, i wont ramble on any longer...but second night we hardly slept an hour or two...Hen and stag parties screaming up and down hallway and shouting at each other from there windows outside. Obscene shouts i might add! Not for couples or families who want a nice peaceful break, get drunk and head to the fitzwilton with bunny ears on you and you'll enjoy it!!

Oh and the breakfast we ordered to the room was cold which wasnt included in price i might also ad! Much Much to expensive for what it was....awful experience!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Marmaduke4
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Stayed here with a couple of my mates while on a night out in Waterford. Hotel is quite new so the rooms were spotless. Size of our rooms were quite large, as was the same with the bathrooms. Rooms contained flat screen tv but no minibar. Hotel is located on a busy street but street facing rooms were still very quiet. Staff at the reception desk were all foreign and not very helpful. Nightly room rate was a great deal for price (€40 per person). Location is just in the city centre, perfect for the pubs and restaurants. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends