“So-So” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
dublin
“So-So”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

Hotel was nice enough and bar quite good. Staff a bit indifferent though, which can make the difference between a so-so stay and a great one. Went to hotel restaurant on last night as menu looked good. We sat at 8.10pm and by 8.45pm no-one had so much as looked at us! I tried to get waitress's attention 3 times and she looked straight through me. There were only about 10 other tables - mainly couples - and another waiter so not as if it was busy. Plus,even an acknowledgement or a "I'll be with you in a moment" would have been nice - not even that! We got up and walked out and no-one even took any notice or asked what was wrong. My boyfriend left a leter of complaint at reception when checking out - they didn't even discuss t with him or contact him on email after, or contact me on my email which was on the booking. Very poor, especially given current climate. Got impression the management culture was a bit lax as regards staff care for customers.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank whittersDublin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
wexford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

My self and my boyfriend arrived at the hotel to discover there was no spaces left in the very small and confiened car park. When I asked reception about this problem she told me I would have to park on the quay and pay €5 a day. This was very disappointing as we did not expect to pay extra for parking and was very inconvenient for us as we had to carry our luggage across the road and up to the hotel. An evening meal was included in the price. I looked up the menu on the internet prior to booking the hotel because my boyfriend is a fussy eater and was pleased to see there was a steak on the menu. When arriving we had a copy of this menu in our room but no infornmation book about the hotel or their service was in the room. The room slept 3 people and yet there was only one small bottle of shampoo and one small bottle of shower gel, not enough for the number of people stayin in the room. When arriving at the resturant we were asked was our meal included in our stay I replied yes and he replied "I will just get the other menu." We were giving a different menu to what was advertised and it did not have the steak. The menu did not have a good variety of food and poor vegetarian option. As a result of this we ate very little and the whole night was spoilt. The bar was very quiet and not great atmosphere. When checking out reception never asked how are stay or room was. Very dissappointed. Not a four star hotel in my eyes.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maria508

Travelers are raving about these Waterford hotels

Bromley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Very shocked by some of the other reviews here. All the staff, particuarly reception, were very helpful including printing off directions and putting essential items in freezer. Good location, just a few steps to restaurants. Ate in-house on one night, great food, lovely seabass and great risotto. Good business centre with free WiFi access. Slept brilliantly, rooms very dark. Found best deal was by calling direct and using their own website, booking.com etc didn't have the deals and was more expensive. Recommend local walking tour from local tourist board. Great shopping too! Waterford crystal went bust so factory site only offers shopping and no factory tours. The crystal is now made overseas and not in Wateford but various artisans have set up on their own so still possible to buy crystal that has been made in Waterford but the Waterford brand is made overseas and not in Ireland. Parking was tight but possible. The person who has made comments about CCTV should realise that CCTV is prevalent around the UK and Ireland - I'd rather someone is watching out for my safety than nothing be there, before making comments try and find out about what the local habits are as they may not be the same as your local habits.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sara B
Kildare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

Along with the other members of my party, I found this hotel very poor value for money. The food was poor overall (risotto was nice), both at breakfast and dinner. There were 3 nice staff memebers noted over the weekend (1 young barman and 1 young waitress & 1 waiter) but generally, staff were unfriendly, dismissive and unapproachable (seemed to be more the older staff with the attitude problems). . Quite a weird atmosphere in the bar as although we were spending huge amounts of money in the hotel over the weekend, glasses weren't cleared from our table all night (had to do it myself when there was no room left and even upon seeing me do this, no one came over, unbelievable!), no friendly banter or gratitude for our custom. We felt uncomfortable. Bedrooms were fine but no support pole in most of ours rooms to hold the shower head, had to hold it yourself and try to wash at same time (no apology for this upon complaining). Not a 4 star in the real world. Would never go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank LemmersKildare
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

If you are looking for a central contemporary hotel with normally good deals on their website then look no further.

If you want a hotel with adequate parking and sufficient internet access then look someplace else.

I have attached pictures of course to this review.

The room I had was on the 4th floor facing onto a busy street. The windows do not provide sufficient sound proofing from the noise and the lack or air conditioning in the hotel bedrooms makes it very clausterphobic because to let air in through the windows let is a mass of noise. The rooms are nicely laid out but I would not believe it is a 4 star hotel. Their website suggests the rooms offer "blending traditional woods with modern art and accessories". Are we to belive that table lamps and towels are accessories as I have seen nothing else in my room other than a teasmaid. It offers view across waterfords cityscape. If you like overlooking apts and offices and can just about see the bridge/river from your bedroom then fear not, this is the place for you. The hotel boasts an up and coming Spa but considering this area appeared to be used as an overflow car park I would doubt its going to be anytime soon.

The parking was the biggest let down for me. They offer on site parking. I beg to disagree. I entered the car park and could not find a space. There were by my reckoning 25-30 spaces and by the looks of it the entrances to around 15 apartments who obviously will use the same car park. This is a bit of a white lie stating they offer on site parking. It should state, limited parking is available. I was offered to park on the street or at the nearby(not nearby actually) multistorey which I would have to pay for MYSELF.

The dirty glass's in the bathroom were a shock. I didn't go out of my way to find the dirty glass's, they were painfully obvious once you entered the bathroom, you could see the lip marks from the previous guests where they were obviously gargling after brushing their teeth coupled with the stain in the toilet bowl. You should never be aware of a previous guests existence in a hotel.

The Internet connection is shockingly, or so it is on the 4th floor. I actually had to drag the table and chair to just inside the bedroom door to get a 2 out of 5 signal. Where was the router? Literally outside of my room so I can only imagine how bad other rooms would be.

I did not partake in dinner or breakfast in the hotel due to ilness so no comment there.

Why are all the other reviews so complimentary about the flat screen TV? First of all, who ever heard of "Playsonic" and I doubt a 17" tv is people's first choice when looking for a fantastic piece of electrical design to brighten up their lives.

Would I stay here again? If I was not working then Yes because I need the internet connection for work and never for socialising. If it was a romantic night away then yes except I would have to ensure I get a parking space because after dinner and a few drinks the last thing you want to do is have to move your car off the street/pay for parking on the street by 8:30am and I would be damned If I was parking it in an overnight car park having it swallow up my EURO's.

They are currently doing an offer of €55 for two people for a 4 course meal with a bottle of house wine, now by Irelands standards that price is brilliant!

Overall its a nice modern hotel in a relatively good location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BertieBaron
cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

Just got back from a stay at the fitzwilton. It wasn't a bad hotel but had a few annoying bits that should be addressed. I stayed there for 3 nights, it was €260 b&b with one evening meal which was good value. Car park was really small and looked a bit dodgy, didn't feel safe leaving my car there but had no choice, at least I got a space! the room was good enough, Tv was tiny, my computer monitor was bigger! as this was a relaxing break I wanted to see if there was any better rooms so I rang and asked, The only upgrade room was the penthouse and it was not available for my first night but was there for the 2nd and 3rd night, at € 80 per night, that wasn't bad as I only paid € 260 at the start so I went for it. I must say that the room was great, It wasn't the best compared to other penthouse suites but then that's why the other hotels charge 4 figure sums per night to stay at theirs. There was a few annoying things about the room though, First at all they advertise a 38" tv. It's a 32". even though that's big enough, they shouldn't advertise it as a 38" a lot of the light bulbs were not working. and some of the curtains were slightly hanging. and one of the cushions on the sofa was badly torn. not the end of the world but you would assume as your in the penthouse that everything would be tip top.. The only biggest problem I had with the hotel was the noise! other reviews mentioned it but I thought they were just been a bit fussy, But no way. I stayed at a hotel which was 5 min from an airport in canada and that was 100 times quieter. For some reason trucks pass every 10 mins all day & all night! I was woken up every morning with the bang of a truck passing. they really need to address that problem as it was in the normal room and in the penthouse.
Dinner was not to bad either but it annoys me that they give you a scaled down version of the menu when it's included in the package. There was no steak, and normally other hotels that give you a scaled down menu and have steak give the option of paying about €6 charge if you want the steak. I don't know why they didn't do that.
All in all it was not a bad hotel, Defiantly ask what they can do for the penthouse as it was great. But do bring some earplugs as trust me it's really really noisy!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 007Cork
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

Just back from a few nights mid week stay. Was very good value for money but the two rooms our party had overlooked a busy road (bridge st) and traffic noise was audible in the rooms even with the windows closed. Rooms were decent sized and comfortable.

A few things I wasn't impressed with:
o. cot linen - had booked a cot for our room and while it was in the room when we checked in no linen had been supplied with it. Had to follow up with reception 2 or 3 times to get this which was quite poor.
o. parking - car park is very small with some tight spaces. Fortunately we managed to get a accessible space and didn't move the car so this didn't trouble us too much.
o. bar/restaurant - food in the bar was good but on one of the evenings they stopped serving food in the bar around 8pm as apparently the restaurant was fully booked and the kitchen was overwhelmed with it all. This seemed to impact on a number of hotel guests as they couldn't get a table in the restaurant either that evening. A decent hotel shouldn't get itself into that position.
o. bathroom - one little bottle of shampoo and one body wash for a room that sleeps 3 adults ?

Otherwise fine - staff were friendly, location was handy - fairly central and very easy to find. I could live with the little annoyances considering the price.

It's not that I wouldn't go back but next time I'll probably try somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family