“Not as expected”

Glasha Farmhouse
Ballydehob Cork
“Not as expected”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Recently I visited the beautiful Nire Valley in Waterford. It wasn't my first visit to this part as I have walked in the surrounding hills many times. It was however my first visit to Glasha Farmhouse in Ballymacarbry. I had heard good reviews about it so looked forward to my nights stay there with a friend. It was dark when we arrived and our gracious host Olive showed us to our twin bed room which she told us had been newly renovated. Indeed the room was well furnished and spotless with a 'just done up' look about it and a faint scent of receeding paint odour. We opened the window to air the room before joining Olive in the sitting room for a pot of tea and a slice of apple tart where we chatted about the area and Olive told us about places to walk the next day. She then told us breakfast was at 9 the next morning, not between 8 and 10 but only at 9am.For the relaxed atmosphere of the house this seemed a little inflexible but we understood there were certain reasons for this and decided to go with it. We had heard about the wonderful breakfast at Glasha and looked forward to the morning.. My friend and I went out for the evening to visit friends. Next morning we arrived down to breakfast at 9 and could hear the sound of sizzling coming from the kitchen. We sat at one of the 'so far' empty tables and about 25 minutes later the room stated to fill up with people who were staying for the three day coursing event in Clonmel. Olive arrived in to wish us Good morning and asked us 'would we have the full works', as in the big fry. We asked for a menu for some more choice. But there was none forthcoming nor was there any sign of a buffet breakfasf or similar or even cereal for that matter. We decided on the variation of a cooked breakfast ie poached egg and some bacon. Soon they arrived unadorned but very nicely cooked. A basket of bread also arrived with some delicious courgette and walnut bread. This gave us a hint of the style of breakfast we were missing and we later discovered from Olive when we asked about the breakfast that the big fry up on offer was the 'Coursing breakfast', for lads who wanted to get in, have a fast tasty breakfast and get out to see how their greyhounds would run. Sadly my friend and I were on this occassion relegated to the 'also rans' and missed out on the prize at the end of the day, the expected bountiful much talked about breakfast in terms of choice. As we paid our €100 for the room we felt a little short changed. Olive,it was not as we expected but maybe we will have better luck next time.

Room Tip: I travelled with a friend so we shared a twin room at the side of the house adjacent to the cattle s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank becky22_8
Glashafarmhouse, Manager at Glasha Farmhouse, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Becky22_8,
Thank you for your informative comments gladly received. I appreciate you bringing to my attention our failure to meet your expectations of our breakfast menu. That week in February, coursing week, we get a specific client with a specific need, our mistake was assuming that, all our guests were connected to the event. On a more positive note we are glad you enjoyed the home made courgette and walnut bread.
Please accept, again, our apology, which we communicated earlier to you by email which also outlined the other events of that morning.
Olive.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I have visited Olive at her lovely Glasha Farmhouse many times. We have taken small groups of friends and family. Everyone falls in love with Olive and Glasha. Cozy guest rooms, lovely solarium, living room and terrific food, especially the breakfasts! Walking the mile around the farm is a must at least once every visit. The small walk to Lonergan's Pub to visit James is definitely worth it. James pours the best Guiness in Ireland. Even if you have to drive out of the way, do not miss Glasha Farmhouse.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the ground floor if you have a problem with stairs.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Great to hear from you and thank you for your review, glad you brought back great memories with you and look forward to hearing from you again in due course. Best wishes Olive.
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

There is not much I can say that hasn't been said. Olive spoiled us so much to the point nothing else in Ireland quite compared. No trip is complete without visiting her wonderful home. I travel with my mom with Alzheimer and she was such a gracious host to my mother. Olive is the one and only thing my mom remembers. The food and conversation was excellent. I will be sure to return to this home. Thanks for everything your food, sharing your home, giving us trip idea and most of all giving my mom a trip she will remember!! A MUST for everyone going to ireland

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Glashafarmhouse, Owner at Glasha Farmhouse, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am so happy you have lovely memories of Glasha and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopfully we will see you again sometime in the future.
Canton, Georgia, United States
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here only one night on our travels through Ireland, but we will be back. Olive's hospitality, great food and beautiful farmhouse represents the very best of Ireland. Do not miss it! Be sure to visit the pub just down the street for a wonderful night with the locals.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glashafarmhouse, Owner at Glasha Farmhouse, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review of Glasha. So happy you enjoyed your 'first' visit to Glasha. Best wishes.
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

That is the most amazing place I've ever lived for my trip. <3 Rooms are beautiful and cosy, home-made food are yummy, and Olive and her family are lovely and wonderful!! I miss there, Glasha!!! Additionally, Olive took us to many nice places( gardens& castles) in Ireland, and she took us to the traditional Irish bar around her place! My friends and I did enjoy our trip this December with Olive, her family and Tom!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your lovely comments. What a wonderful group you were to accommodate and travel with. We all had such great fun and great memories of your stay at Glasha. See you all again soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This was the coziest place to stay on our tour of Ireland- and Glasha is an amazing host. If you stay there, you have to request having dinner with her, there is not much for a few miles anyway, so having a wonderfully cooked meal and relaxing for the night is exactly the thing to do. She is an AMAZING cook, and has won numerous awards. Both dinner and breakfast were exquisite - I will never forget how even the butter tasted incredible, everything that she cooks with is local and she really takes care to make everything perfect for you. The beds and rooms are very very comfortable, and since its in the middle of farm country, its really quiet and peaceful. Its really the perfect place to stay when you want to be in back country and relax and have a wonderful meal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am so delighted you went home with such great memories. Best wishes.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our group of 16 decided to make Ireland the destination of our annual trip. My search for hotels took me to Glasha Farmhouse and after several emails with Olive (the owner), I was convinced that we should spend 3 days, using Glasha as our base to tour the surrounding areas (from Waterford to Cork to Cashel to Kilkenny). She recommended a wonderful driver, Tom Flynn, who picked us up from our hotel in Dublin and we spent three absolutely wonderful days at Glasha.

Everything was PERFECT ....
* We were all checked into our rooms within ten minutes (16 people)
* The rooms were clean, warm, very comfortable and quiet
* The house was beautiful - inside and outside
* The location was ideal for touring
* The staff - Carmel, Delores and Jacinta were courteous, efficient and helpful
* The meals - like Mom's home cooking (if your Mom is a good cook). The breakfast choices were unbelievable - homemade granola, fresh fruit daily, oatmeal (not cooked with water or milk but with apple juice and stewed apples - picked from her trees). Hot dishes were also available, cooked to order, not the normal buffet style cold eggs and overcooked meats. The dinners also surpassed our expectations.
* The EXTRAS - on our last night at Glasha, Olive arranged with a neighborhood pub for some live traditional music - what a treat!
And the biggest surprise of all - Olive accompanied us for two days of our tour.

Many thanks, Olive, for making our trip to your wonderful country one of the most memorable and enjoyable trips that we've had. Our group voted our stay at Glasha A+++>

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank BerniceMH
What wonderful memories I have of your first visit to Glasha. We had great fun 'planning' your trip during the year and then you arrived and then the 'real fun' began. I enjoyed touring with you, showing you all the interesting and scenic places etc and chatting with you all. Your group were the 'highlight of the year' and you know why. Until we meet again, take care and God Bless.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waterford
Waterford Castle Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 6 in Clonmel
Hanora's Cottage
Hanora's Cottage
#1 of 1 in Ballymacarbry

Been to Glasha Farmhouse? Share your experiences!