“If I Had It To Do Over....I Would Choose Elsewhere...”

Athenaeum House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Waterford
Reviewed September 11, 2010

The receptionist from Dunmore East was the best part of this hotel. She had wonderful suggestions for dinner & while the drive was more than we thought, the food at Spinnaker's was superb!!

The hotel itself is old, slightly more than rundown, and our suite needed special attention to the mattress, which hung like a hammock. The creakiness of the floor was nothing, but there was no air moving in the room and with the itsy bitsy fan provided...well, you know the story.

The breakfast was less than most of our other stays and while there was a handicapped entrance, it was kept locked and took longer than normal to locate someone to open.

WIFI was only available in the lounge.....3 flights down. And oh yes...the elevator stopped on the 2nd and 4th floors.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JuJuTN

Reviewed August 30, 2010

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for three nights! Once I read the following statements from the hotel website and other hotel booking websites I was really looking forward to my stay....'A boutique hotel set amidst 10 acres of parkland on the banks of the River Suir overlooking Waterford City, Ireland. Offering an elegant lifestyle, with modern chic decor. Providing the ultimate in comfort and luxury. Featuring Zaks Restaurant (breakfast, lunch & dinner), forest walks and state of the art meeting rooms. All bedrooms include deluxe rooms and suites, individually designed.Just kick back, enjoy relaxed hospitality, intriguing menus, or perhaps stroll out to the terrace for a drink and a chat, while enjoying the view of the River Suir.' THIS IS ABSOLUTE LIES!! THIS HOTEL IS A FOUR CLASS DUMP!! After one nights stay we wanted to check out but all the other hotels in Waterford were unavailable so we were stuck!! The whole time we stayed there the theme tune to Fawlty Towers was in my head. The owners are exactly like basil and sybil fawlty. our double bed was two singles shoved together, the tv was so small it could have fit in my handbag, mini-bar was just a smelly small fridge that takes 12hrs for drinks to be cold, there is no right bar e.g. the first night we went down to 'the bar' at 10:30 not a soul around all lights off until one of the staff asked did we want a drink so she got us our drinks and lead us to the sitting room and because it was so quiet we had to whisper...very uncomfortable!! this hotel has such a dead atmosphere! Food = Disgusting! one free meal included in stay and there was a €5 charge for the beef...daft! had broken lights in bathroom with torn towels and it was not cleaned properly every day as well as room! forest walks..where? the grounds are pathetic! a big lawn with a white rusty chair and there is a tiny view of the river suir and waterford city through the trees. Could not wait to check out after our three nights of misery!! so if you are thinkin of going to Waterford stay away from this place!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank shaz82
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I have stayed here a number of times and this is my favourite in Waterford. Lovely unique rooms, beautiful restaurant , great food and really friendly staff ,nothing is too much effort.
Hotels like this are individual gems.
This hotel is not walking distance to Waterford Town centre, but a short drive.
However, this hotel makes a lovely self contained evening.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Burren
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed in this hotel in May 2010. Myself and my wife were loooking for somwhere to have a relaxing break away from the kids and the hustle and bustle of life and I am so happy that we chose to stay here. We stayed for one night and got the romance package. On arrival we were greeted very well by the manger on duty. The decor of the reception/lobby was excellent and done to great taste.

Our room was magnificent. It was absolutly huge. It had a fantastic view- looking out onto the reiver suir where we could also see reginalds tower. The room was decorated to the highest of standards. We had a bottle of champagne and chocolates in our room on arrival (part of the romance package).

The restaurant was bright and modern and the food was unbelievable. My personal favourite was the chicken liver pate ( the best i have ever had) The service was second to none. After dinner we sat in the decking/patio area for drinks and then we went to the lounge area which was very comfortable and inviting.

I cannot fault any aspect of my stay here and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody. The service and the hotel were excellent and I will 100% be returning to this hotel in the very near future.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank powery
Reviewed June 4, 2010

This is a lovely hotel in a peaceful, beautiful setting beside the river. Our room was fabulous, the size of some studio apartments with a lovely victorian bath! The food was really nice, we had a superb dinner one night during our stay. The staff couldn't have been nicer or friendlier, nothing was a problem to them. They went out of their way to make sure that everything was ok for us. We came away feeling totally relaxed and refreshed. We would definitely stay here again. Top marks to a top Class Hotel!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed here a few weeks back and its an old house and in a very quiet area. The staff were very nice and friendly. I had dinner which was reasonably priced and very nice. The room was clean and nice but it had the smallest TV i have ever seen in a hotel. This was bad as there aint much more you can do. The hotel has no Bar as far as i could see. It has a few stools in the restuarant so maybe that was it. personally i wouldn't stay here again as its totally dead but if its peace and quiet you want then maybe this would suit you.
Expensive enough for what you get.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2010

The Athenaeum House Hotel is a nice, quaint, old B&B with very friendly service, even by the owner. Renovations continue on the facility, but is it a great place to stay. I can not say enough good things about Zaks Restaurant, their onsite restaurant. The food is great and they even made my dessert to my preferences! If you stay here, look out for the European red fox that saunters around the back of the property. The beds are a bit uncomfortable, but that is really the only negative thing I can point out

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple